DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

The Borderlanders are in Far Madding, where the OP doesn't work unless you have an angreal that has stored it.  If Demo is with them, though, and wants to use it, I speculate that the TP would work there.  Rand was wise to avoid them (one of the few wise things he did around then).

Just to be pedantic: I /think/ I recall reading that the True Power isn't usable on a Stedding.  However, I bet it would work in Far Madding, as the True Power -isn't- exactly the One Power and Far Madding's bubble isn't a true stedding, but artificially generated.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does it really matter?  Since the TP is only available to Moridin (and Rand through him, is my guess) and not Demandred.  Add to that the orders that Rand is not to be harmed and I think it was meant to capture him there, using a male "well angreal".

As for what will happen in Towers of Midnight...

My guesses are:

Mat starts experiments with canons, then reads the note and gets the horn, then goes for Moiraine.

Perrin will come to terms with himself and meet up with Galad. 

Galad will not be looking to kill Rand as he and his white cloaks see the need to work with him.  He will, however, find his mother and I'm guessing it'll be his "ever true" words that'll pull the b*tching stick out of Gawayn's posterior.

Egwenne will contact Rand as the Amyrlin of the unified tower.  He'll appoint Logain to help her deal with the "Black" Tower and Mazrim Taim.

Rand himself will be more focused on the Seanchan and might involve Mat into it.  How Rand will deal with Cadsuane after his eyes have opened (remember reading that?  blind prophecy anyone?...) is a stab in the dark for me.

The three becoming one, to me, always represented Rand/LTT/Moridin.  But I think that'll be for the Last Battle, since it'll be the way Rand/LTT will die, yet survive.  Maybe by taking over the body of Moridin (since he's being described as a handsome fellow, not unlike Rand himself).

All speculations, of course.

What I do know is that I hate to realise I'll have to wait a year to find out :(

signed up just to post on this forum. Anyway, 2 points:

1. Wouldn't it be awesome if annoyingly stupid Gawyn, who many people have bagged out with good cause, had a revisit to the beginning of book three with Mat beating the S*** out of him? ;D Bring him down a few pegs, and make Mat, the best character, look awesome, especially if he somehow got loads of money for it (other warders paying looking for someone who can beat "ultimate Gawyn"?) Just an idea, but I though a good one. Man Gawyn annoyed me >:(

2. I thought someone might have mentioned this, but I couldn't find it, maybe its in Rand thread, but wouldn't the 3 into 1 callandor thing make more sense if it was Mat, Perrin, and Rand that 'combined' or whatever? ??? obviously not permanently. Just putting it out there, although someone might have already thought of it. I mean, they are the 'big characters' but for all Mat and Perrin have been useful they haven't really been more improtant than Nyn or Egwene so far, who aren't mentioned in the Prophesies (that I am aware). Correct me if I'm wrong and this has been debunked/disproven.

You forgot a few things

Priorities for

Rand

Seanchan issue - Not sure how he's going to fix that little dilemma

Black Tower - once rand has sorted out the black tower problem he needs to get more of them out into the field. Poor old Perrin only has two Ashaman, and Mat has none if it wasn't for Verin he'd be still stuck in the middle of no ware.

Loilal - I can't wait to see how he went at the big meeting he was going to.

Borderlanders sent back to the Border

Meet with Egwene

Mat

Save Moiraine

Get horn

Meet up with the DR

Help Aludra make the Dragons

Perrin

Fix his Wolf issues

Allow Galad to join up with his band(after the family reunion)

this is just with include the girls in this evaluation its going to be big.

Bold my additions

hey all, first post on these boards. really enjoyed this book

my question, although probably not as important as some of the other speculations is this...

What of the 4 remaining assassins in the WT?  Maybe one of them kills Mesaana, thus ending her story arc. :)

ideally i would love to see the following in the next book.

the black tower: demandred and taim team along with his ashaman buddies vs logain and his crew. logain's crew get massacred. demandred then pops out to andor palace and for good measure kills elayne. Oh yes. Rand hears the news and goes absolutely mental.

Mesanna kidnaps egwene. Takes her to shayol ghul and uses a circle to turn her. Then plant egwene back into the tower. An Amyrlin dreadlord in charge of the white tower. Nice

Mat goes off to TOG and he faces the aelfinn. To get Moriane out he has to sacrifice something. Mat agrees and the aelfinns take out his arms and feet.

galad's men meet up with perrin group. In the midst of getting to know each other bornhald sees perrin swings a sword at perrin, missess and takes out faile instead. Perrin retaliates and whiteclaoks and perrin groups kill each other. Whitecloaks finished for good. Galad hanged from the nearest tree as perrin loses his mind to the wolves completely

The end

More to come later

my question, although probably not as important as some of the other speculations is this...

What of the 4 remaining assassins in the WT?  Maybe one of them kills Mesaana, thus ending her story arc. :)

I hope Mesaana's end isn't that anticlimatic.

Actually, just reading everybody's ToM speculations on the last 3 pages of this thread, I hope ToM is more exciting then everybody is predicting.  I mean, a lot of what has been speculated seems boring to me.  Except Mat going to Finnland.  That's the only exciting speculation to me so far.

Something really intense (equal to Rand's tapping into the TP) will hopefully happen.  Otherwise this book is just going to feel like a filler book in preparation for AMOL.

I hope Mesaana's end isn't that anticlimatic.

Actually, just reading everybody's ToM speculations on the last 3 pages of this thread, I hope ToM is more exciting then everybody is predicting.  I mean, a lot of what has been speculated seems boring to me.  Except Mat going to Finnland.  That's the only exciting speculation to me so far.

Something really intense (equal to Rand's tapping into the TP) will hopefully happen.  Otherwise this book is just going to feel like a filler book in preparation for AMOL.

Those are the sort of things that you can't really predict, though. That's why they're so exciting when they happen! :P

Ok on that 3 into one thing with callandor, there have been three speculations, Rand, Mat, and Perrin, combining into one person, Mordrid LTT, and Rand, or mine, Rands three lovers into one person. All of these are good. I cant see Rand Perrin and Mat doing it because they are needed on many different areas. Mordrid is one i did think of because it would make sense, but then also it would get rid of rands body, which i think he still needs. I like mine the best cuz Rand's and LTT's talk at the end of TGS is meaning that they want to love her again, her i think is LTT whife, who will be i guess recrated using callandor

Hola, Im new to the forums but old to the books.  First off, holy moly on TGS. A lot of stuff happened but more still to come.  Three cheers for Verin Sedai.  There is nothing like self-sacrifice for a wonderful cause.  and the way she put it...(paraphrase) they had their hand in our pants, we should have ours in theirs.

As for the title for the next book: I know that there are references to the Towers of Midnight in Seachan and there could be some reference to that in the plot of Rand-Fortuona.  However, looking back over the titles of the other books, there are instances where the title is only cool heading for some part of a prophetic saying.  TEOtW was a physical place, TGH is actually an occurrence, TDR is the title for Rand, TSR is mentioned in the lovely quotes at the beginning of the book as is FoH, PoD, WH, CoT, KoD, AND TGS.  There is no physical path that is filled with sharp steel instruments that are used to cut pork chops.  There was not a Heart of Winter (even though there was a lot of snow).  No knife that caused dreams, and the storm that gathered was not a specific time frame to mark a certain occurrence, but just a quoted passage that described how things are coming to a head.

I am almost positive that there will be prominent "towers" in play in the next book (ie ToG, BT), but i bet dollars to doughnuts that there will be a really nifty quote from some guy in an "age long past, an age yet to come" that will be on the page immediately precluding the prologue.

Good work everyone.  I have loved coming to these post over the years to see what you think and gain info.  Keep it up and THANKS.

HI everyone, i have been following the threads..

I think the most important things to be covered in the books would be...

1) ToG, Mat & thom saving moiraine...

2) Rand binding the Nine moons (think it means Tuon and Seanchen)

3) Rand knowing the wrath of the Amerlin

4) Borderlanders

5) Black Tower & Logain's period of glory

6) Perrin, Whitecloaks, Wolves, & Morgase

TGS was a great title and it related to me, the major groups all starting to move in there different ways toward TG.  It looked and felt like a huge storm gathering with all the different parties believing they should be the one lead the way.  But we all know who should be leading.

Our next installment will focus on the Black Tower and the Tower of Ghenjei with a major effort made by Rand to pull everyone together. 

I'm excited.

mmm this great sword of justice....isnt hawkwings sword called justice?
Yes.

is that maybe the sword rand carries?
Yes, Rand's new sword is Justice.

See, I think it is going to be:

Courage to strengthen: Olver

Fire to blind: Mat with Aludra's Matches

Music to dazzle: Thom, obviously

Iron to bind: Noal

It doesn't have to be one thing each. They would all need courage, and fire and iron don't seem any more likely for Noal or Mat.

It would be neat if he were Be'lal.
No. It would not be neat, it would be awful. It is completely wrong, nothing about it fits. Taim is Taim is Taim.

Wonder what would happen if one day in book good guy would actually lose :D
You mean something along the lines of someone destroying half a city in order to beat the enemy, and not caring about the casualties, nor even that this was not a final defeat, and say that he only cares about power? That bad guy winning enough? Because that's been done. Or maybe you want something where a sympathetic good guy end up turning his back on his school, wife, emperor, the promise of salvation, and walk off a broken man, while a callous manipulator rises to power and subverts a crusade for his own purposes? That's also been done. How about a book where a guy gets tortured into loving the thing he previously hated, and betrays everything, including the woman he loved, in order to preserve his own life?

I'll take a page out of Mr Ares' book.
*Batters Muad Cheade to death with what's left of his book.* Sorry, but I'm protective of my books.

Those are the sort of things that you can't really predict, though.
You'd be surprised. People had predicted Rand using TP, if not the precise circumstances.

i think there are certain points but mite come in the next book.

1) Rand & Galad, half brothers, meeting each other after knowing the truth.

2) Moiraine, Cadusane, Rand Confrontation

3) Perrin, Elyas, and wolves

4) Tam and Rand again.

5) Rand facing the wrath of Amrilin

6) Rand binding the Nine Moons

7) The reason Olver keeps playing Snakes n Foxes

8) Mat and Horn

9) Elayne, Avi, Min & Rand

10) about all the forsaken

11) Well the Towers of Midnight, may mean that Black n White Tower mite reunite at midnight, and the BA and the Dark Ashaman also form a tower.

i would very much like to see Cadsuane humilated  :)

Faile subjugated, and all AS losing face, their know all manner gets under the skin

hi ppl,

i just wanted to verify one point..

Did perrin meet the HAWK Min and Egwene see about him???

If Faile is Falcon..

Would Berelain be the Hawk? would be a nice contest for faile to turn attention to.

she would spend time fighting with berelain to do other bad deeds behind perrins back....

hi ppl,

If Faile is Falcon..

Would Berelain be the Hawk? would be a nice contest for faile to turn attention to.

she would spend time fighting with berelain to do other bad deeds behind perrins back....

We've known berelain's the hawk for some time.  Faile's been fighting with berelain for perrin since TSR.

hi ppl,

If Faile is Falcon..

Dude, what the hell have you been reading?  On my first read through the series I noticed that Berlain would be the hawk that was perched on Perrin's shoulders; that part was established by The Shadow Rising.

Your question was answered years ago, 1993 to be exact.

A falcon and a hawk, perching on your shoulders. Both female, I think. -Min Viewing, TDR Ch. 6

Perrin with a falcon on his shoulder, and Perrin with a hawk. Only the hawk held a leash in her talons - Egwene was somehow convinced both hawk and falcon were female - and the hawk was trying to fasten it around Perrin's neck. - Egwene's Dream, TDR Ch. 25

Nothing about him falling in love with either, and only Berelain wanting to leash him.

I think the title "Towers of Midnight" gives a much better clue than we've had since The Great Hunt.

Tower:

• , White - More Egwene, Mesaana, and Dreadladies.  Maybe some Rand.  Maybe some Seanchan hoodo aftermath.
  • , Black - Logain, Taim, the Blackberry Bush, sisters walk its grounds and don't call home, and will charge rent for blood and fire or something.  Maybe some Rand.  Conceivably some Perrin, come to "be there".
  • of Ghenjei - Mat (Formatrimo?), Thom, Moiraine, and One Other.  Maybe some Bayle, Aludra, and Olver.  Surprises about Chel Vanin abound.
  • of Ravens - Fortuona & her merry band.  Maybe more war with the WT.  Maybe Egwene.  Maybe Mat.  Maybe Rand.
  • Of Power.  Aviendha's gonna have quadruplets.  Might as well get started.  Now that she's found her honor, it's time for her to lose some dignity.  Maybe "three become one" in one fabulous three-way that excludes Elayne.  Or includes Elayne and excludes Rand.  I'd be okay either way.
  • Up Elayne's arse.  Maybe some baths.  Or some chin raising.  Sniffing?  Yes, definitely some sniffing.  Perhaps some ninja arms-crossed-between-breasts-move.  Or who knows, maybe she'll get wet and have to change clothes fourteen times for four hours apiece.

Archived