DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Towers of Midnight Speculation Thread (Spoilers for tGS)

JenniferL

To be perfectly honest, I wouldn't be too heartbroken if we never heard from Elayne and Aviendha again.  Probably the worst thing to happen to Aviendha's character was getting involved with and following Elayne.  She was much better in TSR and TFoH, that's for sure.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't think Laras is Masaana. Laras is the one who spoiled Min in the tower. Who showed her how to apply makeup and curls to her hair. Can't see a forsaken staying in character to that degree. She might have rounded up the Black Ajah and taken them to the Black Tower.

Mat rescues Moiraine

Mat chops off Taims head (with the surprised -why didn't my weaves work- look still on his head) - Logain takes over black tower

Mat smooths things out between Rand/Tuon - becomes battle commander for forces of light

Mat pwns Gawyn once again when he attacks Rand and Rand refuses to fight - drubs him till he sees sense

Mat finds demandred

Mat reveals killer of Asmodean

Mat meets Cads isn't impressed takes her over his knee and paddles her butt

I'm all out ..

Elayne looks down her nose, Nynaeve tugs her braid etc etc

well, that sums it up. why do we even need those other losers, Rand and Perrin?

Especially the Mat beating down on Gawyn, I'm glad someone else remembered that (Mat spent more time with him than either Rand or Perrin).

Mat's the best character (and yes, I did still like him in this book, and no, I didn't notice too much of a difference. It would be really funny if we found out that all the parts for Mat had been written by RJ, and all those people ragging his portrayal by BS would be shut down. It did feel a tad different though, but no more so than the book to book devlopment some characters go through. I got to say it would stretch credulity for even Mat to remain completely unaffected by marriage, becoming a noble, but mostly fighting a long and harrowing geurilla war in hostile territory)

Yeah Mat was different .. but I still enjoyed his scenes just a different kind of humor I guess

BTW I forgot to mention that Tuon/Fortuona is going to die in AMoL so..

Mat becomes emperor of the Seanchean

Quite ironic really..

Ive been thinking that this may happen, however, most of the blood may not accept him, seeing as he knows next to nothing about how he seanchan blood operate, much less the royal family. But sadly RJ had plans for outrigger novels featuring Mat and Tuon. So atm Tuon dying is a very very distant chance.

BTW I forgot to mention that Tuon/Fortuona is going to die in AMoL so.. Mat becomes emperor of the Seanchean

That would be difficult considering Jordan himself said he was planning on writing an 'outrigger' novel with Mat and Tuon in Seanchan, post-Last Battle.  Those are the two you can be sure -aren't- going to die in AMoL.

I say Mat being Emperor of Seanchan is a great idea.

Although rather unfortunately Mat won't kill Taim, becasue his amulet only works on saidar. I have evidence, in FoH when he dies and gets brought back to life (unkilled?) again due to the balefire when he is killed by Rahvins channeling. Rand distinctly looks at him and thinks 'so his medallion didn't protect him against saidin after all' or words to that effect. I only noticed it the second time, and remember it because it ended my dream of Mat simply running accross TG untouched by all the power and simply killing all the forsaken.

Besides which he loves Tuon, and her death would make him all sad and angsty and rageful at the world which would ruin his character

Although rather unfortunately Mat won't kill Taim, becasue his amulet only works on saidar. I have evidence, in FoH when he dies and gets brought back to life (unkilled?) again due to the balefire he is killed by Rahvins channeling. Rand distinctly looks at him and thinks 'so his medallion didn't protect him against saidin after all' or words to that effect. I only noticed it the second time, and remember it because it ended my dream of Mat simply running accross TG untouched by all the power and simply killing all the forsaken.

Besides which he loves Tuon, and her death would make him all sad and angsty and rageful at the world which would ruin his character

Amulet works on saidin as well.  There's a quote somewhere from RJ himself on that topic.  Basically, Rand was just wrong.

Mat wasn't killed by the power, he was killed by something the power caused, such as lightning or a fireball.  The power may have caused it, but it kept going of its own inertia.

Although rather unfortunately Mat won't kill Taim, becasue his amulet only works on saidar. I have evidence, in FoH when he dies and gets brought back to life (unkilled?) again due to the balefire he is killed by Rahvins channeling. Rand distinctly looks at him and thinks 'so his medallion didn't protect him against saidin after all' or words to that effect. I only noticed it the second time, and remember it because it ended my dream of Mat simply running accross TG untouched by all the power and simply killing all the forsaken.

Amulet works on saidin as well.  There's a quote somewhere from RJ himself on that topic.  Basically, Rand was just wrong.

Mat wasn't killed by the power, he was killed by something the power caused, such as lightning or a fireball.  The power may have caused it, but it kept going of its own inertia.

thats the best news I have had in a long time. The invincible Mat dream is back on the table. I mean he took what, 8 or 10 guys in KoD with a couple daggers and beat two future blademasters (Gawyn and Galad) back before he had all his memorires of skillfullness and he was so weak he could barely walk. he will pwn.

Seanchan hierarchy is not cut and dry--Mat, through his relationship to Fortuona, would not ascend the throne if she died. If anything Tuon herself should prove this. She was the Empress' favourite. Not the first born, the favourite. Others sought to take her down to gain her position.

In effect the heir to the Seanchan throne is the one who proves themselves in front of the Empress. Mat would not do that, he would never support the goals of the Empire and Fortuona knows this. Lacking Fortuona's approval were she to die it would not be Mat to gain the throne through her connection, it would be the next closest to the Imperial line--in effect, Galgan.

thats the best news I have had in a long time. The invincible Mat dream is back on the table. I mean he took what, 8 or 10 guys in KoD with a couple daggers and beat two future blademasters (Gawyn and Galad) back before he had all his memorires of skillfullness and he was so weak he could barely walk. he will pwn.

Actually I thought that the lightning that ended up killing Mat, had in fact hit the shield that Rand made right above their heads, and Mat was killed by side effects of the lightning bolt.  Basically the lightning bolt wasn't aimed at him specifically.

Seanchan hierarchy is not cut and dry--Mat, through his relationship to Fortuona, would not ascend the throne if she died. If anything Tuon herself should prove this. She was the Empress' favourite. Not the first born, the favourite. Others sought to take her down to gain her position.

In effect the heir to the Seanchan throne is the one who proves themselves in front of the Empress. Mat would not do that, he would never support the goals of the Empire and Fortuona knows this. Lacking Fortuona's approval were she to die it would not be Mat to gain the throne through her connection, it would be the next closest to the Imperial line--in effect, Galgan.

ahh, but Mat is tavern and invincible. Actually this discussion reminded me about a fanfiction I read, a good one, where after TG the non seanchan nations bond together and hold off the seanchan ones, leading to a stalemate. Bode is a damane, and so Mat hasn't been able to go to war, for fear of killing his sister. Then sometime later she is freed and he goes off to fight, taking 500 cannon with him, except his army dissapears, and you find out he goes to seanchan to capture the capitol and use it as a barganing tool. except he gets caught up in things when he's there, as everyone is starving, all the food and etc going to the warring armies and he becomes one of 3 major powers there. unfortunatley thats when the author stopped doing it  :( but it was good. bit off topic here, aren't we?

Don't think Laras is Masaana. Laras is the one who spoiled Min in the tower. Who showed her how to apply makeup and curls to her hair. Can't see a forsaken staying in character to that degree. She might have rounded up the Black Ajah and taken them to the Black Tower.

Mesaana could have know of Min's abilities, and used this as a ruse to stay close to her, and to keep in character.  However, she didn't, as Verin has definitively ruled her out.

Mesaana could have know of Min's abilities, and used this as a ruse to stay close to her, and to keep in character.  However, she didn't, as Verin has definitively ruled her out.

I don't know.  The kitchens are the perfect place for Mesaana to hide.  It would give her plenty of access to recalcitrant novices, sous chefs, and spit dogs for her fight against the Light.  Not to mention the spice rack.  ("Too much bloody pepper in my soup!  The Black Ajah strikes again!")

Truly, nobody would really notice if the management of the larders, the menus, and ultimately the feeding of every single person in the tower went unattended while Laranna runs around wearing Masks of Mirrors and terrorizing the half-trained hungry people.  Also, I find it highly unlikely that anyone would notice any big change in a personality that had been visibly working in the tower since New Spring.

Ultimately, I predict that Mesaas will turn away from the DO in the end.  ("Here are all my secrets, Egwene.  Just let me stay in the kitchens.  I find that cooking is much more emotionally fulfilling than trying to take over the world and re-make creation!")

You read it here first.  Credit where credit is due, now ;)

Egwene will find out from Rand about the truth on the oath rod and hopefully remove the stupid thing.  I think the WT investigates dragon mount and finds Rand and brings him there.  upon waking up they form an alliance and he finds Mesaana. 

Egwene will find out from Rand about the truth on the oath rod and hopefully remove the stupid thing.  I think the WT investigates dragon mount and finds Rand and brings him there.  upon waking up they form an alliance and he finds Mesaana. 

I believe Rand will "submit" himself to be linked to two women and wield Callandor in preparation for TG. 

His revelation dealt with love, he does love two channelers.  Could Elayne and Avi link with Rand and wield Callandor in the final battle? The prophesy states the three will become one.  They are already one in a sense as they are tied through the bond.  Linking would of course make them one in the power.  They could then wield saidin, saidar, and the TP.

Mesaana could have know of Min's abilities, and used this as a ruse to stay close to her, and to keep in character.  However, she didn't, as Verin has definitively ruled her out.

I don't know.  The kitchens are the perfect place for Mesaana to hide.  It would give her plenty of access to recalcitrant novices, sous chefs, and spit dogs for her fight against the Light.  Not to mention the spice rack.  ("Too much bloody pepper in my soup!  The Black Ajah strikes again!")

Truly, nobody would really notice if the management of the larders, the menus, and ultimately the feeding of every single person in the tower went unattended while Laranna runs around wearing Masks of Mirrors and terrorizing the half-trained hungry people.  Also, I find it highly unlikely that anyone would notice any big change in a personality that had been visibly working in the tower since New Spring.

Ultimately, I predict that Mesaas will turn away from the DO in the end.  ("Here are all my secrets, Egwene.  Just let me stay in the kitchens.  I find that cooking is much more emotionally fulfilling than trying to take over the world and re-make creation!")

You read it here first.  Credit where credit is due, now ;)

Mesaana as Lara is not possible, due to the limitations of Illussion.  Its completely impossible to maintain the illusion of a big fat woman moving around in a cramped kitchen with other novices and accepted.  It would be near impossible to prevent any of them coming up close enough to *brush against* the girth that is Laras.  Novices would be bound to notice the illusion after a while. 

Laras is what she is...an unfortunately fat woman with remarkable skills at spiriting out Aes Sedai and a shocking history.

Egwene will find out from Rand about the truth on the oath rod and hopefully remove the stupid thing.  

What "truth" are you talking about?  They already know the Oath Rod limits age.

The truth that it was a device used to bind criminals.  Something he would know from his now integrated memories.

Archived