DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is "The other one"?

Link

Who is "The other one"?

This might be a reference to Mat and Perrin but I can't find it? The first time I read the series I was curious but now that I've read through it several times I'm really curious.

On page 79 of WH Rand is @ the academy in Cairhien and he's wishing he could leave something behind and hoping he could build something positive that lasts past the Last Battle. when Lews Therin says,

“'I thought I could build,' Lews Therin murmured in his head. 'I was wrong. We are not builders, not you, or I, or the other one. We are destroyers. Destroyers.'â€

In aCoS Rand and Moridin crossed balefire streams in Shadar Logoth. Right after that they started displaying dizyness when channeling and a couple of other symptoms. There's more evidence in the later books, but ill let you read that for yourself.

Oh, well. In KoD Rand thinks directly about the third presence in his head, and acknowledges that it was the man from Shadar Logoth (he can see images of him). He discusses him with LTT. He even knows that Moridin was using the True Power, revealing for the first time that the Light was aware of such a power.

I dont see why Moridin would be refered to by Lewis threain as the third one. Its almost as if Moredin played some larger role in the past age or something else that we dont know or that I just missed. Anyone there want to answer my speculation

Moridin is Ishamael. LTT knows Ishamael. He doesn't know Moridin, but he recognizes part of Ishamael in Moridin. Plus, being in Rand's head with this distructive force would allow him to know that Moridin is a pretty bad dude.

Yes, but when was Rand aware that there was someone else there? In that passage it seemed like he was baffled by Lews Therin's comment about the other one.

If that is true, the implication may be that Lews Therin was aware of another occupant before Rand was.

First time we 'see' a connection is here, CoT, Chapter 24 - A Srengthening Storm:

"Irritably, Rand pushed his sleeves down and dropped into a chair. What he had done made no matter to Logain. The man knew saidin was clean, but he could not believe Rand or any man had actually done the cleansing. Did he think the Creator had decided to stretch out a merciful hand after three thousand years of suffering? The Creator had made the world and then left humankind to make of it what they would, a heaven or the Pit of Doom by their choosing. The Creator had made many worlds, watched each flower or die, and gone on to make endless worlds beyond. A gardener did not weep for each blossom that fell.

For an instant, he though those must have been Lews Therin's reflections. He had never gone on that way about the Creator or anything else that he recalled. But he could feel Lews Therin nodding in approval, a man listening to someone else. Still, it was not the kind of thing he would have considered before Lews Therin. How much space remained between them?"

He 'feels' Lews Therin nodding in approval to these thoughts, which he knows are not his own. The wording leads me to think of a philosophic mind, and we only know one reincarnated philosipher to whom Rand is now connected.

I don't know if it was due to Rand's hardening, or the fact that he could hardly accept the idea of one other person in his head, let alone a second presence.

First time we 'see' a connection is here, CoT, Chapter 24 - A Srengthening Storm:

"Irritably, Rand pushed his sleeves down and dropped into a chair. What he had done made no matter to Logain. The man knew saidin was clean, but he could not believe Rand or any man had actually done the cleansing. Did he think the Creator had decided to stretch out a merciful hand after three thousand years of suffering? The Creator had made the world and then left humankind to make of it what they would, a heaven or the Pit of Doom by their choosing. The Creator had made many worlds, watched each flower or die, and gone on to make endless worlds beyond. A gardener did not weep for each blossom that fell.

For an instant, he though those must have been Lews Therin's reflections. He had never gone on that way about the Creator or anything else that he recalled. But he could feel Lews Therin nodding in approval, a man listening to someone else. Still, it was not the kind of thing he would have considered before Lews Therin. How much space remained between them?"

He 'feels' Lews Therin nodding in approval to these thoughts, which he knows are not his own. The wording leads me to think of a philosophic mind, and we only know one reincarnated philosipher to whom Rand is now connected.

I don't know if it was due to Rand's hardening, or the fact that he could hardly accept the idea of one other person in his head, let alone a second presence.

Wel, lwt's consider Rand's mind state compared to Lews Therin's. Lews is gerneally in a state of bodiless limbo, with him in the more subdued position in Rand's conciousness. He tries to take control from time to time, but it's Rand's control that keeps him back. Essentially, Lews Therin's reality is that he is semi-disembodied, and sees things through Rand's eyes. Another floating voice wouldn't startle him as he seems to think that Rand is also just a voice in his head.

Rand on the other hand knows that he's the one who is occupying his body and Lews Therin is the guest. He sees Lews as strage even still, and out of the ordinary. He pushes the knowldge of having another personality into the corner with the rest of the horrors he faces. He basically fools himself into ignoring that there is a problem and in turn may be shielding his awareness of another presence hiding within. He seems to be onto Morridin though by KOD.

Can Moridin channel Saidin ? I don't remember him ever doing it as he uses the True Power almost exclusively but i just thought i'd ask.

The guy in his head IS Moridin, as luckers said when their balefire touched.. something happened and Rand see's Moridin whenever he seizes Saidin and Moridin also see's Rand's face in HIS head when he seizes the True Power it's possibly just an after-effect of the Balefire merging

He can, yes. He just seems reluctant too. The Forsaken think he is addicted to the True Power, or does it as a display of his prestige in the Dark Ones eyes, though its been suggested that he is experiencing the same sickness Rand is on channeling saidin, and therefore doesn't.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah luckers it may seem out there, but imo I think he has the same sickness Rand is having with saidin. If I remember right, Rand never had that sickness until after CoS when their balefire touches. Also, since that time Moridin and Rand seem to reflect each other in a way so would it not be possible that the sickness is reflecting in each of them? There is a very specific example in KoD where Rand seizes saidin and he "touches" Moridin and both get sick as he grabs the one power.

"Yet with saidin came the inevitable violent nausea, the almost overwhelming desire to double over and empty himself of every meal he had ever eaten. His knees trembled with it. He fought that as hard as he fought the Power, and saidin had to be fought ever and always. A man forced saidin to his will, or it destroyed him. The face of the man from Shadar Logoth floated in his head for a moment. He looked furious, and near sicking up. Without any doubt he was aware of Rand in that moment, and Rand of him."

Knife of Dreams, Ch. 21 Within the Stone

And it has seemed that at times Rand has had the sickness come when he wasn't trying to grab the power if I remember correctly.. I'll look for a quote. But anyways yeah..thats that. ^^ ~shad