DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Who is "The other one"?

Link

Guest Harso

That quote where lews therin is listening to someone else it does seem like morridin. I remember reading somewhere that ishamael was a philospher

It probably is from the crossing of the balefires, but do you think this could play a part? I was looking at tEotW, and at Flight Down the Arinelle there's:

He found himself staring at the reflection of his own face, pale and shivering in the knife-edge cold. Ba'alzamon's image grew behind his, staring at him; not seeing, but staring still. In every mirror, the flames of Ba'alzamon's face raged behind him, enveloping, consuming, merging. He wanted to scream, but his throat was frozen. There was only one face in those endless mirrors. His own face. Ba'alzamon's face. One face.

Moghedien said some things are actually stronger when done in Tel'aran'rhiod.

You may not have been wrong about it. If i had my books i'd look, but it does stand to reason that if Moridin gets sick when Rand channels, which does some possible, then the alternative is true. Likely its just been incredibly infrequent given that Moridin rarely channels saidin. Still, i imagine we shall see if this is true in time.

• 13 years later...

So, Rand gets sick just grabbing up the bags of books for Min a little after the mention of the other one, in the prelude to WH. 

The random thought that stuck me, is that LTT is referring to the voice that was in HIS head when he lived. But I rather think it is Moridin/Ishamael. Not that M/I ever seemed a builder. 

Edited by Immortalrh

On 7/11/2006 at 12:55 AM, Jarred Darque said:

ok, I remember the quote, but when does moridin come around ot being in Rand's head? did I miss something else as well, or is this yet to come? I am a few chapters past that point

When they cross bailfire at Shodar Logoth, the patter reweaves them into a single soul.  It's was the pattern's way of corrupting the paradox of their existance.  They struck each other with balefire at the same time, and as such both should exist and neither should exist at the same time.  This paradox would have destroyed the pattern, and so it created a new soul that was neither of them, and both of them in order to compensate.  This is how Rand is able to sense and use the True Source, and how he is able to force Moridin to switch bodies with him in the end.  

It has to do with one pf them was using the one power the other was using the true power.  They are their sperate souls, since the girls warder bonding Rand had no effect on Ishy.  It seems to be more like a sort of warder bond.  No one can sense the true power and only the Do can give you  access to it.

On 10/12/2019 at 6:20 PM, Immortalrh said:

So, Rand gets sick just grabbing up the bags of books for Min a little after the mention of the other one, in the prelude to WH. 

Rand got sick because he was holding the One Power to form the portal for Traveling.  He pretended it was the books so not to worry Min who hadn't bonded him yet.

On 10/14/2019 at 11:23 PM, Sabio said:

It has to do with one pf them was using the one power the other was using the true power.  They are their sperate souls, since the girls warder bonding Rand had no effect on Ishy.  It seems to be more like a sort of warder bond.  No one can sense the true power and only the Do can give you  access to it.

Actually, it was their balefire that did it.  They struck each other with balefire, or more precisely, struck two beams of balefire together, which seems to have the same effect.  This means that they were both burned from existance, but at the same time, the very act of using balefire on each other was also erased, and so they should both exist and not exist at the same time.  This paradox would have destroyed all of existance, and so the wheel of time was forced to rework their threads into a single being.  Rand and Moridin are essentially one soul.  This is what allows Rand to access the True Power.  And it's what allowed him to force Moridin to switch bodies with the, so Moridin died instead of him.  

Don't think the pattern works that way, if you die the pattern can't suddenly remake you.  Only the DO can give you access to the True Power.  No one knows what happens when someone using the One Power and someone using the True Power cross balefire streams.  Since the True Power works so differently than the one power.  They weren't a single being or else when Rand was bonded by the girls they would feel Ishy also.  Not to mention nowhere does it say if balefire hits another balefire stream are the casters are burnt out of existance.