DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A MEMORY OF LIGHT Volume I Cover Art and Title (Apparently) Confirmed

Werthead

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The name, I can live with. The art I can live with, but oh please don't split it! RJ said that it was going to be 1 book, whether it had to be enourmous or not. It's disrespectful to RJ to split it and also so the fans.  It's like "We'll tease you by letting you see how a few things tie up, but we're gonna make you wait for the conclusion. Haha!"

I feel your pain, Tigara, but I think the decision to split is dictated by physics, not really by their desire to make us wait.  I a little surprised, after Knife of Dreams, that RJ insisted there was only one more book ... I would rather take two volumes than a gutted story.  :)

well.. Im ok with splitting it. If making 3 books makes it better, and not needing to be cut shorter, it is perfect. However spreading them one for each year has to be bogus. I understand the need to make money, and releasing books right before x-mas is a good move, but there is a limit for what we will accept aswell.. I really hope its bull.

Well Brandon thinks that cover was a internal Tor mock up cover that somehow got leaked. Which wouldn't surprise me much it's happened with other books before. Some intern or young assistant sees a cover of a book their a fan of and leaks it. causes a lot of confusion when it happens and tick's off a lot of the fan base in the process.

Darth_Andreastarwars1.gif    anim-ring.gif    The_Wheel_of_Time__Stamp_by_Seiken_.gif

About splitting the book; I agree with Elgee here completely. She makes some really good points. Yes, RJ said he would release it as one volume no matter how huge it was, but I believe that even him might have had to reconsider if he could have seen just how HUGE the book will become! I dont mind it being split in two (or even three for that matter) because, it looks better, its easier to handle, keeps the suspence and all that. we've waited for years, we can handle waiting a little longer  :)

I take books with me so that I can read at lunch or whatever, so I would actually prefer two manageable volumes over one unwieldy, massive tome, but to wait a year between volumes is abusive and uncalled for when clearly, the material will be ready for publication sooner than that. To unnecessarily stretch it out is not cool. If they want to milk it like a cow, they can do that later with special editions, books of lost tales ala Tolkien, calendars, conventions, games, movies, whatever, but they do not need to make us wait 2 or 3 years to finish something that is nearly written as we "speak."

And the reason I don't know WHEN JordanCon is, is because I avoid reading about any kind of WoT Meet, or I just end up sobbing my lil heart out in envy  :D (I live in South Africa and therefore can't attend any of them ... see tears ... see tears flow  :'()

*Pats Elgee on the back*

I feel your pain! ;)

just got this hot off of the TOR webite:

"posted Thursday March 26, 2009 03:44pm EDT

Just a quick WoT-related note...

Pablo Defendini

Pertaining to recent developments in WoT-land regarding a leaked cover to the next Wheel of Time book,  Tor Books sent me and Dragonmount the following note:

Hello everyone! We wanted to clarify a few points for the ongoing discussions:

There is no cover for the next Wheel of Time book available yet. The formal Wheel of Time update has been scheduled to release two weeks before JordanCon, with personal words from Harriet McDougal and Tom Doherty. This is going to be an exciting year, so we appreciate your patience and enthusiasm!

Check out Dragonmount and Tor.com on Monday morning …

So, stay tuned for further developments next week."

there you go...

I have not read the thread all the way through, so someone may have brought this up already.  However, in case they have not, I would like to point out that "The Gathering Storm" is the title of a fantasy novel by Kate Elliott (Volume 5 in the Crown of Stars series, which incidentally I highly recommend).  Can they legally re-use a title from another book in the same genre (epic fantasy) that was published only six years ago?

To be quite frank "The Gathering Storm" I believe is a cliche term that many stories have used. There is nothing in that title that can really be copyrighted it's just such a generic title to mean a prelude to battle. Though this may be another reason that the cover is fake and bad info.

As far as I know the Cover is fake (as we suspected)

but

I would love to have the last book in one.. Book... But I have come to realize that if book 12 was just one volume it would break the world anew with its size alone.

So if It does come out in 2 pieces I certainly hope the release dates are close together

Maybe we should make a distinction between "book" and "volume" ?

By all I've read, it seems that it will be one "book", but split into 2 (or 3) "volumes", both for easier handling and to feed our addiction the sooner. This makes me happy  ;D

Let me add my 2cents.  I have the audiobooks and can't see anyway.  As for the title, hasn't the real storm been gathering about CoT?  I mean Mat is on his way to the tower, Rand is making a treaty with the seanchan, Perrin is I forget where, Lan is riding to tarwin's gap to lead the army Nyneave got for him, Elayne is going to be crowned(as for who will lead the armies of andor, my guess mat), Nyneave may or may not ride with Lan's army(my guess not), Egwene is about to be thrown in prison and the seanchan are on their way, and Arad Doman is a mess.  So to my mind the storm is mostly gathered and the lightning strikes are about to begin.

I think 3 books is a great idea.  This way we get three climaxes (i've never met someone who has complained about 3 climaxes) and it gives me time to read the whole series over again between each volume.  Before each new book comes out I like to start at the beginning again so I'm all caught up when I read the new one...then I read the new one again!

Archived