DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A MEMORY OF LIGHT Volume I Cover Art and Title (Apparently) Confirmed

Werthead

The only thing is, such a title is obviously referring to Rand and so it would only do if there was something significant relating to Rand himself in it. Maybe the supposed bodyswap could happen at the end of Rider of the Storm; that would be good, since it would be a good enough climax and would fit with the title referring to Rand himself.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Any really dramatic title is going to have a good does of "corny", too.

"The Shadow Rising" would have been a great one here, but that one is already taken ... "The Shadow Rising ... um ... Again" would just be bad.

But I don't like "The Gathering Storm" because the stupid storm isn't supposed to be gathering any more!  Time to HIT already for pete's sake!

I want something like:

"The Shadow Strikes" (too Star Wars, though), or

"Shadow's March", or

"Shadow's Blade Falling", or maybe they could just make one from a random quote like "Knife of Dreams", say,

"Hammer of the Shadow" ("No hope remains, when crushed by the Hammer of the Shadow.", by First Captain Aragan Maldeshar, Protector of Barsine), or maybe something about how bad the Light's situation is like,

"Day's Light Fading" (get the bad Myrddraal joke?), or

maybe something about one of the upcoming battles, like,

"The White Tower Trembles" (you could at least get good cover art out of that), or something about how bad life is in general, like,

"The Last Sunset", or

"Rent in Fire and Blood", or something from prophecy, like

"The Pain of Salvation", or

"Dread Fires Born Again", or

"Order Burns", or

"The Trumpets of War", or

"The Trumpets of Battle"

OK.  The majority of those sucked greatly, but I actually kind of like the last two.  In truth, I'm not too worried about what it is, just, please ...

Gahhhh ... just please, no more "Gathering Storm".  Hit already!

Any really dramatic title is going to have a good does of "corny", too.

"The Shadow Rising" would have been a great one here, but that one is already taken ... "The Shadow Rising ... um ... Again" would just be bad.

But I don't like "The Gathering Storm" because the stupid storm isn't supposed to be gathering any more!  Time to HIT already for pete's sake!

I want something like:

"The Shadow Strikes" (too Star Wars, though), or

"Shadow's March", or

"Shadow's Blade Falling", or maybe they could just make one from a random quote like "Knife of Dreams", say,

"Hammer of the Shadow" ("No hope remains, when crushed by the Hammer of the Shadow.", by First Captain Aragan Maldeshar, Protector of Barsine), or maybe something about how bad the Light's situation is like,

"Day's Light Fading" (get the bad Myrddraal joke?), or

maybe something about one of the upcoming battles, like,

"The White Tower Trembles" (you could at least get good cover art out of that), or something about how bad life is in general, like,

"The Last Sunset", or

"Rent in Fire and Blood", or something from prophecy, like

"The Pain of Salvation", or

"Dread Fires Born Again", or

"Order Burns", or

"The Trumpets of War", or

"The Trumpets of Battle"

OK.  The majority of those sucked greatly, but I actually kind of like the last two.  In truth, I'm not too worried about what it is, just, please ...

Gahhhh ... just please, no more "Gathering Storm".  Hit already!

Taking one of your choices and twiking it "Light's Fading".

When I read those titles you offered RAW, I must say that my eyes got stuck on 'The Pain of Salvation'. In my opinion it would sum the last book up nicely. I mean the followers of the Light want salvation, bus as freedom, it is not free. And they pay with pain.

I just had to say that that title would work for me very well.

Well, the last six are all straight from prophecy, including "The Pain of Salvation", so, I couldn't really take credit OR blame.  ;D

The titles of the every book from "The Shadow Rising" on come from the manufactured quotes in the preface/prologue ... most of which are supposed to be prophecy.  I think we have enough prophecy on record at this point to get one more dramatic phrase out of it.

Just please ... Brandon ... Harriet ... hear me ... no more Storm-Gathering.  Please!

I hate to burst any bubbles out there but does that image look vaguely familiar to anyone?

jordan-storm.jpg

Need a hint?

Look at the covers of books five "The Fires of Heaven" and book the "The Dragon Reborn" (reversed image and embellished)

But then again, I'm being skeptical.  I've some fuller images of the book covers that I need to find to post here but the one of Rand is vaguely familiar but the image that I'm thinking of is of another character, with a cape from facing away from the reader as it is now. The girl is the same girl from tFoH and the background is familiar too.

When I read those titles you offered RAW, I must say that my eyes got stuck on 'The Pain of Salvation'. In my opinion it would sum the last book up nicely. I mean the followers of the Light want salvation, bus as freedom, it is not free. And they pay with pain.

I just had to say that that title would work for me very well.

The Pain of Salvation would be awesome, it's the best phrase of my favorite prophecy.

I hate to burst any bubbles out there but does that image look vaguely familiar to anyone?

jordan-storm.jpg

Need a hint?

Look at the covers of books five "The Fires of Heaven" and book the "The Dragon Reborn" (reversed image and embellished)

But then again, I'm being skeptical.  I've some fuller images of the book covers that I need to find to post here but the one of Rand is vaguely familiar but the image that I'm thinking of is of another character, with a cape from facing away from the reader as it is now. The girl is the same girl from tFoH and the background is familiar too.

It's close, but not quite. The girl does look a lot like the one on the Fires of Heaven cover, but on that cover she's turned around so we see her side and back. The building Rand is dancing in front of does look familiar but I'm leaning more towards somebody's fanart than an official drawing.

I don't really mind if they split it into a bajillion volumes, provided they are all released in a timely fashion, and by timely I mean, 1 or 2 months between each release.

It's one thing to be forced to wait for the author to completely write and edit their work, it's another to wait because a huge company wants to boost sales because some dipshit BA major decides they could milk a cash cow until its udders are shriveled and dry.

After the final book is released and the tale is concluded, they can feel free to boost their revenues with a republishing of the entire series (with new better cover art or whatever), and heck, my own WoT books are in an atrocious condition from constantly reading them, so I'd definitely buy new books for the sake of having a pristine set in my library if nothing else.

But I will NOT shell out cash to encourage any company to rip me off because they want fat christmas sales for the next 3 years.

So, in short, if the rumours are true and the books will be released on a yearly basis, then I will proceed to toss my Wheel of Time books in the trash, and boycott any Tor books.

So, in short, if the rumours are true and the books will be released on a yearly basis, then I will proceed to toss my Wheel of Time books in the trash, and boycott any Tor books.

Easy to say but some of us have invested 10 to almost 20 years in reading (and reading) the series. If I am alive I will run out and buy the books the first day they are available.

I mean if Tor wants money release the volumes in a timely fashion and then go back and re-work the first three books because they have inconsistencies with the other volumes.  I don't mean screwing with the actual book I just mean smoothing the inconsistencies, such as travelling.  Just my opinion.

P.S.  RAW I like Pain of Salvation.

'The Last Battle', whilst also problematic (it's a CS Lewis book), is certainly more thematically appropriate. The storm has been gathering for 11 books now, it's time for it to break. In fact, even 'The Storm Breaks' would be better.

It could go Glimmer, Dying and then Memory of the Light.

There are several books already called Dying of the Light, as it's a quote from a famous poem, including one by the another fantasy author, George RR Martin. It also doesn't sound quite right, like the Light is unleashing some kind of massive bloodbath. Arguably Rand has already done that, but it doesn't set the tone quite right.

Archived