DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A MEMORY OF LIGHT Volume I Cover Art and Title (Apparently) Confirmed

Werthead

I think this is smart.  There is no way that Sanderson can wrap up this epic tale in one book. They wouldn't be able to get the book into the stores, it would be so thick.  So if this is a scam, oh well, if it is the truth, hey that's cool. 

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does anyone know where someone in the US could purchase the black UK hardcovers? I never knew those existed and they look tremendously better than the "ever-changing" and "incorrect" artwork on the US covers.

I'm fairly disappointed about the splitting of the books. The WoT universe has seen so many disappointments - failed attempts at a video game (good, but lack of support), board games, card games, comic books, etc. Why do we repeat this cycle?

Release the book the way RJ wanted... one gigantic release. I don't care if I have to wait until 2011 to get it as one release!

Probably you can buy the uk covers in any European net stores, I'm sure for example amazon.co.uk* sell the brittish ones. The last I saw of Sweet's covers was when I bought Winter's Heart, here in Finland, since then also the earlier paperbacks seem to have changed to the Brittish versions.

For myself, it is important that the book is structured and labelled as one book, which is all that matters, artistically. It does not matter if it comes in several bindings. Hopefully doesn't take too long.

(Amazon has the nice feature that the same account works for the different versions, I'd ordered some of the audio books from the us version, but for other things i've used both the brittish and the german one and not needed to set up a separate account, which is nice. Not that I intend to advertise them =))

• Administrator

No hardcover?  That pisses me off.

In his blog posts, Brandon has said that if they split the books, there will be an omnibus edition (where they combine the whole thing into one book).  I would assume that would be a hardcover.

I do hope so, but he actually said he'd push for an omnibus edition. He also said that he has no real control over these things. And that if there were an omnibus it would come after all were published.

NO NO NO NO!!!

a TWELVE BOOK SERIES! 

not

11 books then trilogy!!!

Go Brandon Sanderson! Everyone needs to push (somehow) for the ONE GIANT BOOK! Two books? 13 book series is to evil for me thank you very much. And none of this about splitting anything please. Jordan said this was going to be a 12 books series. Brandon (as we know) is trying for 12... but

We have been waiting to long for this!

frustrating*

Does anyone know where someone in the US could purchase the black UK hardcovers? I never knew those existed and they look tremendously better than the "ever-changing" and "incorrect" artwork on the US covers.

You could try Amazon, but www.thebookdepository.com is probably better as they have no international shipping charge.

i could care less about the cover art

i can live with paperback for now (knowing that once this series is done, we'll see 30 years of "special edition" releases, etc to keep generating revenue)

i can live with the title

i can even live with a few books to spread it out

what i CANNOT live with is this 'effing BS about 3 books being released a year apart. that would be the single most BS that ive ever seen in novel history. Talk about milking the release and prolonging the end.

its anticlimactic

i hope to God that TOR will release the books as soon as they're available.

i could care less about the cover art

i can live with paperback for now (knowing that once this series is done, we'll see 30 years of "special edition" releases, etc to keep generating revenue)

i can live with the title

i can even live with a few books to spread it out

what i CANNOT live with is this 'effing BS about 3 books being released a year apart. that would be the single most BS that ive ever seen in novel history. Talk about milking the release and prolonging the end.

its anticlimactic

i hope to God that TOR will release the books as soon as they're available.

WE WILL GO ON STRIKE!!!

OR

OR....

PARADE INFRONT OF IMPORTANT BUILDINGS TILL WE GET WHAT WE WANT

I would be extremely happy if they did the last book in 2 parts (even 3 parts would be ok), for several reasons:

1) I want to read some new WoT NOW, dangit!

2) Bringing out the rest later would stretch out the adventure and experience more. Let's face it: once the last book is published, the show's over - that's it, folks.

3) Having one HUGE book would just be physically hard to hold up and read. Some of the books are already difficult to handle.

Just as long as there's not a year wait between them.

The cover art: I really wish they'd get someone better to do it, in honour of RJ. Here's arguably one of the best fantasy series ever, and yet they have the worst cover art I've seen on any fantasy book. Disrespectful, both to us fans, and to RJ. That being said, I'd take the book(s) covered in brown paper, as long as I get said books soon.

• Administrator

[glow=red,2,300]This is directly from Tor Books[/glow].  They've asked me to post this. Feel free to spread it around

-----------------

Hello everyone! We wanted to clarify a few points for the ongoing discussions:

There is no cover for the next Wheel of Time book available yet. The formal Wheel of Time update has been scheduled to release two weeks before JordanCon, with personal words from Harriet and Tom. This is going to be an exciting year, so we appreciate your patience and enthusiasm!

Check out Dragonmount and Tor.com on Monday morning …

-----------------

Werthead - Can you please update your original post to show this info?  I could edit it for you, but I wanted to be respectful of your original post.

Thanks

The formal Wheel of Time update has been scheduled to release two weeks before JordanCon, with personal words from Harriet and Tom.

What does that mean? (I have no idea when JordanCon is)

• Administrator

The formal update is a press release.  It will have the answers to all your questions.  Harriet is RJ's wife, and Tom is Tom Doherty, the president of Tor Books, and a personal friend of RJ's. 

JordanCon is the first annual convention dedicated to the works of Robert Jordan.  It's being held in Atlanta the weekend of April 17 - 19h.  You should be there.  Harriet, Wilson, Tom Doherty, Brandon Sanderson will be there.  Oh... and me. :) :) :)  ;-)

I know who Harriet and the rest are, and what JordanCon is, just wasn't sure if you were referring to a press release, or the actual book release.

And the reason I don't know WHEN JordanCon is, is because I avoid reading about any kind of WoT Meet, or I just end up sobbing my lil heart out in envy  :D (I live in South Africa and therefore can't attend any of them ... see tears ... see tears flow  :'()

The name, I can live with. The art I can live with, but oh please don't split it! RJ said that it was going to be 1 book, whether it had to be enourmous or not. It's disrespectful to RJ to split it and also so the fans.  It's like "We'll tease you by letting you see how a few things tie up, but we're gonna make you wait for the conclusion. Haha!"

Brandon Sanderson just posted this on his blog recently.

--

I've had some emails from Harriet and company and can give you some more solid facts here.

First, an email Harriet said I could post:

Dear Brandon,

Whatever the "art" is that was posted on Dragonmount, I have not seen it, and from what I hear I would certainly not approve it.

Rest assured, no art will go on the cover until I have seen it and approved it. Best, Harriet

This was before Harriet saw the link on Dragonmount itself, showing the thumbnail of the artwork. The fact that she hadn't yet seen the real cover art makes this all seem even more fishy to me. Looking closely, that posted art really lacks detail. After getting some internal emails from Tor, I'm really thinking that my conclusion last night was true. This is not the cover, but a rough mock-up done quickly by production to have something to show at meetings. It was never supposed to go outside of Tor, and is NOT the final cover, not even close to it. I'll bet this is just a sketch Mr. Sweet did showing potential cover ideas. It might not even be him doing the art--it's too small to tell.

Tor is planning a press release about AMoL talking about the title, the number of volumes, and that sort of thing. We won't see it until early next week, however, because of issues of timing with the major news sources. They moved it up from late in the week to early in the week, but that's the best they could do. Until then, don't panic. There is truth to some of the rumors, but there is also a lot of bad information going around.

--

So make of that what you will, but the cover art is definately bogus.  

Archived