DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Trailer

I will never understand Amazon's decision to limit WoT to 8 episodes when the standard setter in fantasy that was GoT got 10 from the start. Can't even argue that times have changed since 2011 when GoT premiered because House of the Dragon got 10 episodes as well. An extra 120 minutes just gives the story so much more breathing space.  

In relation to the number of episodes, it seems that Amazon has a general policy of 8 episodes per season based on some esoteric logic that escapes me, perhaps someone else has better insights. 

Another oddity about Amazon is their show Carnival Row whose first season had 8 episodes but their season two had 10 episodes !  I so wonder why doesn't WOT get the same respect .

As far as House of the Dragon and GOT having 10 episodes, it's important to remember that those shows were on HBO who no doubt has their own logic in how their shows are released.

Sadly Amazon evaluates things differently.  

Edited by nsmallw

52 minutes ago, Skipp said:

Well that confirms they are releasing 3 episodes again on the premier, good to know.

I am continuing to love the look of the Seanchan.

Yep - Seanchan not what I expected but look good to me.

Not sure I like the release 3 episodes with only 5 to go.  You see almost half the season in one go and the whole season over the following 5 weeks.  Guess I'm still used to the network model when I was younger where a season seemed to last for half the year.  Now six weeks and done.  The streaming world is so different.

15 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Not sure I like the release 3 episodes with only 5 to go.  You see almost half the season in one go and the whole season over the following 5 weeks.  Guess I'm still used to the network model when I was younger where a season seemed to last for half the year.  Now six weeks and done.  The streaming world is so different.

I prefer not wasting my money on months and months of subscriptions for just one or two shows I'm interested in. I also strongly dislike shows with dozens of episodes per season

28 minutes ago, DojoToad said:

Honestly I would have preferred a week-by-week release from the start for season 2. I understand starting season 1 with three episodes because it's a new show and you want to start with a bang. But a big part of the enjoyment for me with these shows is talking about the episodes online and hopefully in real life and part of the fun is missed when you can binge almost half the season from the start. Makes for a more scattered viewing experience. 

I don't think releasing three episodes at once is any kind of necessity for a top show. Again thinking about House of the Dragon which had a week-by-week pace for 10 weeks.   

50 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

I prefer not wasting my money on months and months of subscriptions for just one or two shows I'm interested in. I also strongly dislike shows with dozens of episodes per season

Amazon already has my money and has for for years due to our Prime subscription - which is well worth it for the free shipping and convenience (in my family's life anyway).  So the subscription is not a factor for me, I don't turn it on and off.

I liked many episodes going back to my heavy TV watching days, others don't - all good.

For me, making a short 'season' even shorter by dropping multiple episodes at once is less than ideal.  But I get it - I'm a dinosaur.

20 hours ago, Vartija said:

Honestly I would have preferred a week-by-week release from the start for season 2. I understand starting season 1 with three episodes because it's a new show and you want to start with a bang. But a big part of the enjoyment for me with these shows is talking about the episodes online and hopefully in real life and part of the fun is missed when you can binge almost half the season from the start. Makes for a more scattered viewing experience. 

I don't think releasing three episodes at once is any kind of necessity for a top show. Again thinking about House of the Dragon which had a week-by-week pace for 10 weeks.   

House of the Dragon was on HBO. They have different criteria than Amazon. 

On 8/9/2023 at 5:35 PM, DojoToad said:

I hate that I have to wait 6 weeks, prefer it when the whole thing drops in one go and I can binge it, the way Netflix did Witcher was ok, half one week the other half a few weeks later. 

On 8/9/2023 at 5:51 PM, DaddyFinn said:

I understand that with all other streaming services but I am not a prime member for the TV, it is purely for the free postage and packaging on buying Amazon goods. I save more each month with that then the subscription costs so I am in effect getting the TV service for free, I still don't understand that business model though or How amazon can make any money from it. To be fair though the Amazon shopping service (prime or otherwise) is by this point such a tiny part of the total revenue of amazon that it could almost run as a not for profit. Bezos makes all his money from AWS meaning Amazon is a tech company with a tiny corner shop attached. 

• Community Administrator

I understand that with all other streaming services but I am not a prime member for the TV, it is purely for the free postage and packaging on buying Amazon goods.

1 hour ago, Sir_Charrid said:

I save more each month with that then the subscription costs so I am in effect getting the TV service for free, I still don't understand that business model though or How amazon can make any money from it.

Because the postage isn't actually free. The Price you see is "bundled" with shipping built in. 

I believe there's a google extension that'll even show you the price you'd see if  you weren't a prime member... which is sometimes lower then listed.

All those "Amazon Choice" products, may not even be the "cheapest". They're often the ones that generate Amazon the greatest profit margin while showing you a price that looks relatively cheap.

Then you have the products amazon "makes" and "sells", which is similar to what Walmart did, where they evaluate a product, figure it's profit margins and see how they can improve it before buying the manufacturers and build it cheaper and sell it for the same price.

All this to say...

They're constantly "generating" income from subscriptions, and they can attribute a portion of that by how well a show is "performing" by how many "hours" of content people "consume" on prime video.

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

Because the postage isn't actually free. The Price you see is "bundled" with shipping built in. 

I believe there's a google extension that'll even show you the price you'd see if  you weren't a prime member... which is sometimes lower then listed.

Wait. Really? That's super sketchy.  Obviously I understand that someone has to pay for the shipping and that it's not actually free.  But I wasn't aware that Amazon is actually showing a lower price to non-Prime members.  That seems very ethically dubious.  

31 minutes ago, Samt said:

Wait. Really? That's super sketchy.  Obviously I understand that someone has to pay for the shipping and that it's not actually free.  But I wasn't aware that Amazon is actually showing a lower price to non-Prime members.  That seems very ethically dubious.  

Not really. They had lawyers go over it and everything. Totally legal.

As a prime member, you're seeing the "prime free shipping price".

As a non prime member, you're seeing the price without the "free shipping" price already included in the total. 

Now when you go to add to cart instead of seeing "$132", you see "$75" then you see "+60 in shipping". 

Sometimes you come out ahead... sometimes you get hosed. You're also going to miss out on those "prime member exclusives".... 

Wait till you learn about the wonderful world of shopping around for travel. (Airline tickets/hotels.) 
That can get really sketchy.
Here's a tip. check out the prices using Incognito or using different browsers on different devices.. signed into different user accounts... 

Even though I thought season 1 was about 6.5-7 rating, I'm pretty excited for season 2.  Making these kinds of shows isn't easy, and I really hope having the foundation developed for season 1 will make it much easier to build season 2 up.   Season 2 is supposed to have one of the biggest battles in television ever.  If they are already doing that, it makes me wonder how big the battles in future seasons are (if they make it past season 3).  

Really hope they dial up the drama between the different characters more amongst all the action.  The trailers and the sneak peak all looked pretty good to me.  It also looks like the male characters will finally get some moments to shine in season 2, which was a problem in season 1 (other than Logain being a major badass).  

Edited by Pandemonium

2 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Season 2 is supposed to have one of the biggest battles in television ever.

I saw that floating around and... light, I hope they understand you can't just hype that up and have it not pay out. I swear hearing that, and we get a scene like the Shienar charge again.. 

2 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

If they are already doing that, it makes me wonder how big the battles in future seasons are (if they make it past season 3).  

Here I'm thinking if they actually do what they hype... Then when it comes to Dumai's Wells, and other scenes... They need to hire consultants from shows like "Band of Brothers", or something along those lines.

6 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

I saw that floating around and... light, I hope they understand you can't just hype that up and have it not pay out. I swear hearing that, and we get a scene like the Shienar charge again.. 

Yes,  if they hype it up that much they got have some substance to meet the hype....  The article said this is on scale with Cleopatra or Gladiator.  That would be amazing if true.  Season 1 did royally screw the episode 8 battle, but it did have some good glimpses of action.  I would say the closest example would be the pregnant dragonmount scene.  I also thought the battle vs Logain's army in the Aes Sedai camp was a little underwhelming... bad CGI, definitely lower production value.  So hopefully they really step up the ending this time since it just didn't land with too many viewers last season.  

3 hours ago, Pandemonium said:

Yes,  if they hype it up that much they got have some substance to meet the hype....  The article said this is on scale with Cleopatra or Gladiator.  That would be amazing if true.  Season 1 did royally screw the episode 8 battle, but it did have some good glimpses of action.  I would say the closest example would be the pregnant dragonmount scene.  I also thought the battle vs Logain's army in the Aes Sedai camp was a little underwhelming... bad CGI, definitely lower production value.  So hopefully they really step up the ending this time since it just didn't land with too many viewers last season.  

Logain’s army?  You are very generous. The scene was so underwhelming that the show never recovered for me. The forthcoming biggest battle in tv should help balance that out…

I’m certain I’ll enjoy S2 better than S1. Why? It’s all about adjusted expectations. 

After seeing Rings of Power and going “Really? This is the best that Amazon can do?” … I’ll expect WoT S2 to be slightly worse than RoP S1, and if it exceeds that - I’ll be really happy! 

In other words, “my loins are girded”!! Lol

Edited by DreadLord31