DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 2 Trailer

Didn’t the Seanchan use ravens as symbols on some things?  Could Mat have picked up a spear from them?

Based on season 1 trailer vs show, how much of what is in this trailer do we think will be in the show and could something in it get cut?

1 minute ago, Wassup said:

how much of what is in this trailer do we think will be in the show and could something in it get cut?

It's so hard to tell. The most visually arresting shot from the first trailer (Egwene in the multi-colored pool) wasn't in Season 1. That boggled my mind.

24 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

It's so hard to tell. The most visually arresting shot from the first trailer (Egwene in the multi-colored pool) wasn't in Season 1. That boggled my mind.

I feel that the similar shot from this trailer would be the woman covered in blood.  I will be shocked if that isn't in the show.

there's lots of scenes recognizable from the books in this trailer. at least, I can't think of any scene that's clearly not in the book (EDIT: I forgot rand tied to the wheel). compared with the trailer for S1, which started with egwene being pushed into the river, this would suggest greater aderence to books.

on the other hand, we know they have to change more than they did in S1 because of ripple effects of the changes. not that I complain; as long as they keep the major points and the character arcs, they can make as many changes as they need. but it does suggest an attempt to stay closer to the books when possible

3 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I don’t think the music will be in the show. Seems like it was used more as a tone setter. The tone seems to be leaning into the horror/thriller aspects, which would be a smart way to go, tone wise. 

The VFX of the weaves are much improved and the visuals are still top notch. The costuming also looks good. I’m not sure what’s not to like from a visual standpoint.

As for “purposefully continuing down  the path set during season 1” can you elaborate? What “path” did season one go down? And how does the trailer demonstrate that S2 will continue following that path?

I'll try to be succinct in a very complicated matter. 

I didn't care for season 1. I thought it was bad. I have admittedly high standards for the visual media that I choose to consume (because I consume very little, I feel like anything other than the best is a waste of my time). 

It wasn't one or two things, the entirety of season 1 just felt off. I didn't connect with much of it, and the plot and character deviations also detracted from my enjoyment. 

I guess "the path" I refer to would be "inspired by" vs. "the actual thing."

Re: music. I thought season 1's music was one of the strong points. Hope they're allowed to build on that. 

Edited by WheelofJuke
Not trying to yuck anyone's yum. :)

3 minutes ago, WheelofJuke said:

It wasn't one or two things, the entirety of season 1 just felt off. I didn't connect with much of it, and the plot and character deviations also detracted from my enjoyment.

I get it. A lot of people felt that way, and I'm not trying to criticize you for it. On the other hand, other than your pre-established feelings about the show, I'm just trying to figure out what put you off about the trailer. 

Not trying to shame you for not liking the show. Just trying to figure out what makes you feel that there's been no change in direction. 

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

there's lots of scenes recognizable from the books in this trailer. at least, I can't think of any scene that's clearly not in the book (EDIT: I forgot rand tied to the wheel). compared with the trailer for S1, which started with egwene being pushed into the river, this would suggest greater aderence to books.

on the other hand, we know they have to change more than they did in S1 because of ripple effects of the changes. not that I complain; as long as they keep the major points and the character arcs, they can make as many changes as they need. but it does suggest an attempt to stay closer to the books when possible

I wouldn't say this is really accurate.  Of course, many of the scenes are not precisely "placeable," (and some of the scenes are likely dreams, alternate realities, or flashbacks) but I'd say there are many that are most likely significant deviations:

1.  Moiraine in bath.  Of course, she probably does take baths in the books, but I think the voiceover is implying that she is dealing with the shielding/stilling that she suffered at the end of season 1.  Given that doesn't happen in the book, this looks like a new scene.

2.  Lady in blood.  Not sure what this is, of course, but it doesn't seem to be something that happens in the book.  

3.  Rand meets Siuan.  They do meet in the books, but due to the way season 1 ended, we're not really set up for their meeting to happen like it did in the books.  I suspect this will be a deviation.  Also, if Rand makes it to the White Tower again, something has gone very different.  

4.  Rand with his hand at Moiraine's throat.  Hard to say what this is and maybe it's just a dramatic gesture during a conversation, but I don't remember book Rand violently threatening Moiraine, so this kind of seems like a difference.

5. Rand meets Logain.  Unless I am forgetting something, Rand doesn't have a conversation with Logain until much later in the story.  They aren't in the same place during any of the events of the next few books.  

6. Ishamael with Suroth or other member of the Seanchan high blood.  These characters just don't interact in the books.  

7.  Siuan kisses Moiraine, Perrin meets little girl.  These may be dreams and/or flashbacks.  But if not, they are likely deviations.  

8.  Rand on wheel. Likely in Tel, but otherwise a deviation. 

Admittedly, some of this is just fallout from the fact that the story is already so far off course, but I don't think it's fair to say that most of the trailer is stuff that is definitively from the books.  Lots of what we see is dramatic closeups and a few seconds of a blurry action sequence.  The parts that are placeable are probably only 50/50.  

37 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I get it. A lot of people felt that way, and I'm not trying to criticize you for it. On the other hand, other than your pre-established feelings about the show, I'm just trying to figure out what put you off about the trailer. 

Not trying to shame you for not liking the show. Just trying to figure out what makes you feel that there's been no change in direction. 

I didn't study the trailer, so I'd have to say I'm going from more of a first gut impression sorta dealio. Intuition usually serves me fairly well. 😉 

*watches it a second time in slow mo*

Ok, there's so much wrong to unpack. 
- Rand grabbing Moi by the throat
- Perrin with a sword
- "You're the water that moves the wheel" line (paraphrasing) Suian line
- Eliada/Liandrin? I can't even keep them straight, lol. Her line about those who survive is so cringe. Why can't they just keep the great dialogue that Jordan wrote?
- Apparently constantly bloody Nynaeve ???
- All the sets/lighting/extras still seem really low budget and not believable. This was another of my main criticisms from S1. Everything's far too clean and neat and orderly and not lived in, from a set and lighting standpoint. None of the extras make the towns or cities feel real. 
-Ishy with Seanchan
- Perrin with child?
- more gratuitous Moi/Suian (?) love scenes (almost as cringe as seeing Rand/Eg S1...ugh)

- Rand bound on a cliff's edge (maybe a dream sequence?)...

The gestalt doesn't pass the smell test. 🙂

Edited by WheelofJuke
Spellin'

4 hours ago, Wassup said:

Didn’t the Seanchan use ravens as symbols on some things?  Could Mat have picked up a spear from them?

Based on season 1 trailer vs show, how much of what is in this trailer do we think will be in the show and could something in it get cut?

Well, Prince of the Ravens is a Seanchan title, so yes.  

23 minutes ago, WheelofJuke said:

- All the sets/lighting/extras still seem really low budget and not believable. This was another of my main criticisms from S1. Everything's far too clean and neat and orderly and not lived in, from a set and lighting standpoint. None of the extras make the towns or cities feel real. 

Definitely felt this, too.  Lots of parts just really felt like somebody decided to film their DnD group in front of a green screen rather than a big studio production (not talking about actors here, but just the feel that the general production value gave me).  A scene that really just felt lacking to me was when Logain's "army" attacks trying to resuce him.  It felt super campy.  Considering this doesn't happen in the books and was probably included to give the Aes Sedai and Warders a chance to get some on screen action, it's disappointing that it felt so flat.  

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, WheelofJuke said:

- Perrin with child?

If we get flicker flicker,  It's likely this was the child Perrin & Laila lost.

1 hour ago, WheelofJuke said:

All the sets/lighting/extras still seem really low budget and not believable. This was another of my main criticisms from S1. Everything's far too clean and neat and orderly and not lived in, from a set and lighting standpoint. None of the extras make the towns or cities feel real. 

I don't get this criticism.

The sets don't look low budget, and they don't look too clean or neat/orderly at all. I'll give you that they need to work on lighting. (HBO has superior lighting compared to Amazon's).

RJ was always going on about how the Aes Sedai, Aiel, and White Cloaks were meticulous about bathing and keeping things spick and span, so there are going to be areas of the world that ARE going to be clean and orderly, and that's reflected in the show.

Here's a screenshot of Shadar Logoth. We see dust on the floor, broken stuff everywhere.image.png

Here's Dana's Bar. It's quiet lived in. Clutter everywhere. You see dust in the air due to the way the lights coming in.

image.png

Here's the Place Rand was staying with Mat when brother book brought Nynaeve over.
The piller's a bit dirty, the furnishing is sparing but it's an Inn.
It doesn't need to look like a family lives there. You keep it to a few beds, wardrobes, light sources, maybe a painting or two.

image.png

Here's Lan with Steppin. The area looks about as lived in as a Warder who spends a few weeks out of the year there. It's clean, because it should be. The novices & accepted do their jobs well.

image.png

And of course here's Fal Dara throne room area. It should be clean. They're nobility. It's an open dais, you don't want a bunch of clutter around it.
image.png

Now here's Game of Thrones S1.
Sansa's room.
Boy, that looks clean! The only "dirty" thing I see is all that candle wax.
image.png

That throne room is really clean and bare!
image.png

And of course, look how clean this chamber is! Those chairs are spaced far to evenly! Thank goodness there's no starbucks cup in this shot! 😉 
image.png

1 hour ago, Samt said:

I wouldn't say this is really accurate.  Of course, many of the scenes are not precisely "placeable," (and some of the scenes are likely dreams, alternate realities, or flashbacks) but I'd say there are many that are most likely significant deviations:

1.  Moiraine in bath.  Of course, she probably does take baths in the books, but I think the voiceover is implying that she is dealing with the shielding/stilling that she suffered at the end of season 1.  Given that doesn't happen in the book, this looks like a new scene.

2.  Lady in blood.  Not sure what this is, of course, but it doesn't seem to be something that happens in the book.  

3.  Rand meets Siuan.  They do meet in the books, but due to the way season 1 ended, we're not really set up for their meeting to happen like it did in the books.  I suspect this will be a deviation.  Also, if Rand makes it to the White Tower again, something has gone very different.  

4.  Rand with his hand at Moiraine's throat.  Hard to say what this is and maybe it's just a dramatic gesture during a conversation, but I don't remember book Rand violently threatening Moiraine, so this kind of seems like a difference.

5. Rand meets Logain.  Unless I am forgetting something, Rand doesn't have a conversation with Logain until much later in the story.  They aren't in the same place during any of the events of the next few books.  

6. Ishamael with Suroth or other member of the Seanchan high blood.  These characters just don't interact in the books.  

7.  Siuan kisses Moiraine, Perrin meets little girl.  These may be dreams and/or flashbacks.  But if not, they are likely deviations.  

8.  Rand on wheel. Likely in Tel, but otherwise a deviation. 

ok, some of those are legit things i didn't notice, but for others you're grasping at straws

1 is fallout from the first season

2 i interpret it as a forsaken waking up. could be anything, really.

3 you yourself say the meet in the books

4 ok, not in the book, but their conflict was there and was real - especially in book 3, and we know S2 will incorporate elements of book 3. so i wouldn't call it a big deviation until we see the full scene

5 ok, i forgot about this.

6 ok, i forgot about this. though semirhage ended up with the seanchan elite, but even then it's much earlier, another point i concede

7 moiraine and siuan do meet in book 2, and while in the books they were no longer lovers, in the tv show they still are. if that's the equivalent of the meeting in fal dara, and m&s are kissing instead of just being friendly, i don't count it as a deviation. fallout from S1 in the worst case

7b perrin with girl i really assume it is a flashback or dream. although they could have moved the return to the two rivers already to S2

8 i mentioned that already.

So, only 3 scenes that are unequivocal deviations from the books. of which one (a foresaken among the seanchan elite) is totally in line with book facts anyway. the only big change i see there is rand meeting logain so early.
but then, we know bigger changes are there. they have to condense books 2 and 3 in a single season. in the books, rand would travel chasing the horn, to cahirien, then by portal to falme. the girls train in the white tower, then they get themselves kidnapped and also end on falme.

then (off panel) rand goes to a secluded valley in the mountains of mist, while the girls and mat return to the white tower. the girls leave for tear, meet aviendha. rand flees alone. the others chase him. the whole party meets back in tear.

seems too much stuff for one season, so I fully expect to see a much straightened version of this. we may even see callandor in falme instead of tear, with the two book endings merged into one.

tldr: trying to gauge how faithful this second season will be to the books is probably an excercice in futility

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

The sets don't look low budget, and they don't look too clean or neat/orderly at all. I'll give you that they need to work on lighting. (HBO has superior lighting compared to Amazon's).

RJ was always going on about how the Aes Sedai, Aiel, and White Cloaks were meticulous about bathing and keeping things spick and span, so there are going to be areas of the world that ARE going to be clean and orderly, and that's reflected in the show.

Here's a screenshot of Shadar Logoth. We see dust on the floor, broken stuff everywhere.image.png

Here's Dana's Bar. It's quiet lived in. Clutter everywhere. You see dust in the air due to the way the lights coming in.

image.png

Here's the Place Rand was staying with Mat when brother book brought Nynaeve over.
It doesn't need to look like a family lives there. You keep it to a few beds, wardrobes, light sources, maybe a painting or two.

image.png

Here's Lan with Steppin. The area looks about as lived in as a Warder who spends a few weeks out of the year there. It's clean, because it should be. The novices & accepted do their jobs well.

image.png

And of course here's Fal Dara throne room area. It should be clean. They're nobility. It's an open dais, you don't want a bunch of clutter around it.
image.png

Sansa's room.
image.png

image.png

And of course, look how clean this chamber is! Those chairs are spaced far to evenly! Thank goodness there's no starbucks cup in this shot! 😉 
image.png

Despite your examples, I'm not the only one of that opinion. 

I guess we'll have to agree to disagree. 🙂

1 hour ago, SinisterDeath said:

image.png

image.png

image.png

image.png

Sansa's room.
image.png

image.png

image.png

As @WheelofJuke was saying, this is not something that comes from a deep conscious analysis and deconstruction.  It's just a gut feeling that some of the scenes give you.  I think you might be right that a lot of it has to do with lighting.  Many of the scenes feel like they lack depth.  That comes off as feeling "clean" or "empty" even if the sets aren't objectively too clean or empty.  

Another aspect of it is that some of the special effects and fight choreography are lacking.  That also feels low budget and poorly planned.  

12 minutes ago, Samt said:

As @WheelofJuke was saying, this is not something that comes from a deep conscious analysis and deconstruction.  It's just a gut feeling that some of the scenes give you.  I think you might be right that a lot of it has to do with lighting.  Many of the scenes feel like they lack depth.  That comes off as feeling "clean" or "empty" even if the sets aren't objectively too clean or empty.  

Another aspect of it is that some of the special effects and fight choreography are lacking.  That also feels low budget and poorly planned.  

Honestly, if you skim through S1 of GOT, the one thing that stands out is the use of outdoor scenes compared to WoT.

What's probably feeling like "cheap sets" is that we get a lot of interior shots, that are often made to look cramped as they're trying to get us closeups on the main characters.

Then we flicker over to GoT, and we see these expansive landscapes. These' outdoor set pieces. Courtyards with stables. Natural lighting is littered throughout the first episode of the first season. 

If a show goes from one interior set to another interior set, it starts to feel like a stage play, and that might be the feeling you're getting. It doesn't help that we only got 8 episodes to GoT's 10.

We can't have a lot of extra's in certain scenes without crowding out the main characters.

But if your in an outdoor scene with characters walking around, you can have extra's doing extra stuff... and we didn't get a lot of that stuff in S1 of WoT.

21 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Honestly, if you skim through S1 of GOT, the one thing that stands out is the use of outdoor scenes compared to WoT.

What's probably feeling like "cheap sets" is that we get a lot of interior shots, that are often made to look cramped as they're trying to get us closeups on the main characters.

Then we flicker over to GoT, and we see these expansive landscapes. These' outdoor set pieces. Courtyards with stables. Natural lighting is littered throughout the first episode of the first season. 

If a show goes from one interior set to another interior set, it starts to feel like a stage play, and that might be the feeling you're getting. It doesn't help that we only got 8 episodes to GoT's 10.

We can't have a lot of extra's in certain scenes without crowding out the main characters.

But if your in an outdoor scene with characters walking around, you can have extra's doing extra stuff... and we didn't get a lot of that stuff in S1 of WoT.

I literally have not watched, or even seen 2nd hand, a second of GoT. 

So I cannot be said to be making that comparison. 

And using that as a comparison is meaningless to me personally (obviously a freakish outlier in that regard). 

You're correct in saying it feels like a "stage play."

Edited by WheelofJuke

26 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I also never watched Game of Thrones, so I'm not making the comparison there.  Stage play does seem like a good comparison. 

As I said above, I felt that the battle scene against Logain's 'army' was a pretty bad sequence, and that happens outside.  But even then, it is shot in a forest where everything feels cramped and up close.  We don't get any bigger shots and the enemies aren't visible until they are right on top of the heroes.  

As much as I liked this trailer, I feel it's a terrible missed opportunity not to incorporate the flicker concept into it.

Regardless if we get the scene in the show, though based on a couple of shots I think we just might be in luck.. a trailer would be a perfect place to pay this homage with the flickers between scenes.. which, IMO would just be super cool.

flicker flicker!!

I know this may sound petty, but it kinda bums me out.

Maybe in the next trailer..? 🥹

1 hour ago, king of nowhere said:

ok, some of those are legit things i didn't notice, but for others you're grasping at straws

1 is fallout from the first season

2 i interpret it as a forsaken waking up. could be anything, really.

3 you yourself say the meet in the books

4 ok, not in the book, but their conflict was there and was real - especially in book 3, and we know S2 will incorporate elements of book 3. so i wouldn't call it a big deviation until we see the full scene

5 ok, i forgot about this.

6 ok, i forgot about this. though semirhage ended up with the seanchan elite, but even then it's much earlier, another point i concede

7 moiraine and siuan do meet in book 2, and while in the books they were no longer lovers, in the tv show they still are. if that's the equivalent of the meeting in fal dara, and m&s are kissing instead of just being friendly, i don't count it as a deviation. fallout from S1 in the worst case

7b perrin with girl i really assume it is a flashback or dream. although they could have moved the return to the two rivers already to S2

8 i mentioned that already.

So, only 3 scenes that are unequivocal deviations from the books. of which one (a foresaken among the seanchan elite) is totally in line with book facts anyway. the only big change i see there is rand meeting logain so early.
but then, we know bigger changes are there. they have to condense books 2 and 3 in a single season. in the books, rand would travel chasing the horn, to cahirien, then by portal to falme. the girls train in the white tower, then they get themselves kidnapped and also end on falme.

then (off panel) rand goes to a secluded valley in the mountains of mist, while the girls and mat return to the white tower. the girls leave for tear, meet aviendha. rand flees alone. the others chase him. the whole party meets back in tear.

seems too much stuff for one season, so I fully expect to see a much straightened version of this. we may even see callandor in falme instead of tear, with the two book endings merged into one.

tldr: trying to gauge how faithful this second season will be to the books is probably an excercice in futility

Obviously there is only so much that you can decern from the trailer.  But I also wonder which scenes where hinted at or shown in the trailer that indicate we are going to get a more faithful adaptation in season 2.  What did we really see?  

(Trying to keep this ambiguous to avoid spoilers.)

1.  It seems certain we will see some arches in the white tower basement.

2.  Dark friend social is probably on, but maybe with more forsaken and less focus on other darkfriends.

3.  Liandrin probably does some shady stuff.  

4.  We'll probably have Selene/Rand adventures.

5.  Perrin will learn more about his wolf relationship.

6.  Matt will continue to deal with the effects of the dagger.

7.  Turok will get his hands on a certain box.

8.  Whitecloaks will charge.

9.  There will be a blademaster showdown.  

All of these things are probably depictions of scenes from the book, but that doesn't mean that we'll get an overall story that matches up or even that those scenes will play out how they play out in the book.  Taken together with a lot of scenes that are clear deviations (and I think in fairness we have to count scenes that are fallout from previous deviations), I think I stand by my assessment that it's about 50/50 book scenes and new stuff.  I don't see a strong indication that this is likely to get more faithful to the books.  

Also, do we know who the blonde in the cloak around 1:42 is?

2 hours ago, WheelofJuke said:

I literally have not watched, or even seen 2nd hand, a second of GoT. 

So I cannot be said to be making that comparison. 

And using that as a comparison is meaningless to me personally (obviously a freakish outlier in that regard). 

You're correct in saying it feels like a "stage play."

1 hour ago, Samt said:

I also never watched Game of Thrones, so I'm not making the comparison there.  Stage play does seem like a good comparison. 

As I said above, I felt that the battle scene against Logain's 'army' was a pretty bad sequence, and that happens outside.  But even then, it is shot in a forest where everything feels cramped and up close.  We don't get any bigger shots and the enemies aren't visible until they are right on top of the heroes.  

I'd recommend watching at least the first two episodes to get the context of what a lot of people feel is the superior show in terms of all around quality. 

44 minutes ago, Samt said:

Obviously there is only so much that you can decern from the trailer.  But I also wonder which scenes where hinted at or shown in the trailer that indicate we are going to get a more faithful adaptation in season 2.  What did we really see?  

2.  Dark friend social is probably on, but maybe with more forsaken and less focus on other darkfriends.

All of these things are probably depictions of scenes from the book, but that doesn't mean that we'll get an overall story that matches up or even that those scenes will play out how they play out in the book.  Taken together with a lot of scenes that are clear deviations (and I think in fairness we have to count scenes that are fallout from previous deviations), I think I stand by my assessment that it's about 50/50 book scenes and new stuff.  I don't see a strong indication that this is likely to get more faithful to the books.  

Liandrian in Tar Valon either sneaking to meet man in North Harbor or leading girls to waygate.

45 minutes ago, Samt said:

1 minute ago, Guire said:

Liandrian in Tar Valon either sneaking to meet man in North Harbor or leading girls to waygate.

Beat me to it. 

2 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

I'd recommend watching at least the first two episodes to get the context of what a lot of people feel is the superior show in terms of all around quality. 

Thatvwas what some of my initial weird feeling about season 1.  The lighting, set, and location choices gave it a stage production kind of feel.  Lots of scenes rooms felt too small or built up in odd ways.  Someone on youtube said this might be a nod to more asian fantasy tv and movies.  I judge everything thats high quality fantasy by 80s Conan the Barbarian and GoT.  So kind of big spaces.

21 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Beat me to it. 

22 minutes ago, Guire said:

I did not recognize that as the same actress.  Thanks.