DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where is Bella?

Johnsjam

8 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

You said “somehow the horses were outside again”. As if they magically appeared. But Lan rode Mandarb out. Moiraine’s horse (Aldib?) was with him when he rode. 

I thought the horses actually ran off from where they were inside Shadar Logoth, but just checked again and Moiraines and Lan's horses just stood there waiting.  Only 3 of the horses ran away.  So yes, they didn't just magically appear, they just weren't that fussed about Mashadar.

Edited by Maximillion

11 hours ago, phoenixtrinity said:

Oh no. I thought Bella was the white horse that got away from Shadar Logoth along with Mandarb and the other dark horse. But if that wasn't Bella, I'm now realizing I have no idea which horse IS Bella ;__;

Lan was on one horse holding Moiraine, & had one horse follow, neither was Bella.

The third horse that Lan, Moiraine, & Nynaeve had going into the Aes Sedai camp surely must have been brought by Nynaeve. Unless we are assuming she tracked Moiraine & Lan on foot & caught up with them. They may be trying to hype Nynaeve in the show, but I don't think they are trying to have the audience think she can on foot keep up with a horse ?

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, Sabio said:

I will never understand why that horse became so popular.  Pretty sure that Bela dropped "horse biscuits"  along the way that allowed the Trollocs to follow.  Bela is in league with Fain so stop worshipping her.

The forces of light would have failed if Bela hadn't brought the horn to Mat.
She had no right to move as fast as she did. The Creators Intervention throughout the series can be seen in the little things Bela did that went unnoticed. 

1 hour ago, Sabio said:

I will never understand why that horse became so popular.  Pretty sure that Bela dropped "horse biscuits"  along the way that allowed the Trollocs to follow.  Bela is in league with Fain so stop worshipping her.

To me Bela is a grand symbol.  I think RJ saw Two Rivers the way many people in military see home.  It becomes more than what it is.  It is a place of safety.  A place of predictability.  A place where good resides.  We mythogize home and make it a talisman.  Bela is the Two Ruvers made flesh.  She is fuzzy stubborn bland constant that doesn't have an agenda, isn't going to abandon you, and is there to give you hope when all seems lost.  Yep can't fathom why people like her.  

5 minutes ago, grayavatar said:

I'd like to know what horses Rand and Mat are riding in episode 4 and where they got them? Or is this just a movie trope where characters get horses out of nowhere?

This one was actually explained...both where the horses come from, and I think where they go.

In episode 4, Thom says to Mat, "I thought you were better rider."  To which Mat responds, "I thought you were a better horse thief." 
Thom stole the horses they were riding.

In the trailers for Episode 5, Rand and Mat are walking, BUT they have cloaks and Rand is carrying a bag he didn't have at the Grinwell farm.  They must have sold the horses to buy food and clothing for the journey.

59 minutes ago, grayavatar said:

It hasn't really been explained that Mat is a horse expert in the show. maybe they will make it that Abell is a disreputable used horse salesman.

We don't know how long they were riding before they reached the Grinwell farm either...he could have been a better rider early in their trip and got worse later (as the corruption from his dagger grew) and that's what Thom is talking about.

I've currently got a working theory that in the series, Mat is going to start 'skimming' some expertise, especially in things like fighting, horses, and of course strategy and tactics, off his previous lives/memories, but attribute them, unconsciously or even consciously, to a father he no longer really remembers.  He knows a lot about horses, so he thinks his father must have be a horse trader and taught him...how else would he have learned.  The fact that a good cavalryman needs to know everything about horses is just coincidental.

It doesn't seem like anyone has posted in this thread so far about Rafe's response to the Bela question in the Reddit AMA:

Q: Thank you so much for including a Bella name drop in episode 2. Can we assume that you, as a proper fan boy, will be keeping her entire story arc in place as the creator’s avatar on Randland?

A: Literally, everyone in the horse department knows everything about Bela. There are many elderly Czech men who have an eye on Bela's long-term arc in the show and they don't even know what the Wheel of Time is.

So I think we're safe.