DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where is Bella?

Johnsjam

Bela is probably the horse that stood next to that other horse which met its untimely end in Shadar Logoth.

She didn't move a muscle through the entire ordeal. Wait? Not a muscle? Nope, not a muscle. But that's entirely normal because in reality Bela is the Creator and wouldn't be afraid of something so trivial as.., well I guess that black stuff was supposed to be mashadar.
So they got her just right.

21 minutes ago, Daenelia said:

I thought Bela was one of the horses that got away, or the only horse outside of Aldieb and Mandarb. I have complete faith that Bela will show up and it will be a tearful joyous reunion.

Hard to tell - the dark horses all looked the same to me, but then I don't have an eye for horseflesh...

On a more serious note (I had to leave when I wrote my previous post);
The horse that died belonged to Perrin. The horse next to it was Mandarb (who is, together with Aldieb, immune to that black stuff and that's why those two could just stand there dreaming of greener pastures).

So Bela got away. You can rest easy.

But considering they ran away on their own I can't see how we'll be seeing Bela again. Shame.

When Lan left Shadar Logoth with Moiraine they had 2 horses (Mandarb & Aldieb).   With Nynaeve near the end of Ep3 they once again have 3 - I was sort of hoping that 3rd horse would be Bela - found by Nynaeve when she arrived at Shadar Logoth - but that horse looks too dark to be Bela.

Edited by ArrylT

I grew up reading the books, and I think the first two episodes of the TV  show are fantastic. My only real complaints are that the horse playing Bela was neither a shaggy carthorse, nor a mare. Too refined, and not a mare.

Love Moiraine's Spanish horse, though, and I always imagined Mandarb as a draft cross/Friesian thing, and he is. Also, the Whitecloaks' ponies had great outfits. I'm looking forward to more exciting baroque/medieval tack.

As ever, the horses whinnied too much, which is par for the course in every film ever made. They were suprisingly chilled around the Trollocs (one of mine thinks umbrellas are problematic, so I don't think I'd be stopping when Lan told me to "draw rein"...LOL).  And my very favourite bit, the clear shot of the toe clips on the Myrddraal's horse's shoes! ROFL! Not even the Dark One or the Forsaken can stop horses from throwing shoes.

On the other hand, Jordan/Sanderson's descriptions of riding were always a little bit baffling. 

6 hours ago, Gypsum said:

I grew up reading the books, and I think the first two episodes of the TV  show are fantastic. My only real complaints are that the horse playing Bela was neither a shaggy carthorse, nor a mare. Too refined, and not a mare.

Love Moiraine's Spanish horse, though, and I always imagined Mandarb as a draft cross/Friesian thing, and he is. Also, the Whitecloaks' ponies had great outfits. I'm looking forward to more exciting baroque/medieval tack.

As ever, the horses whinnied too much, which is par for the course in every film ever made. They were suprisingly chilled around the Trollocs (one of mine thinks umbrellas are problematic, so I don't think I'd be stopping when Lan told me to "draw rein"...LOL).  And my very favourite bit, the clear shot of the toe clips on the Myrddraal's horse's shoes! ROFL! Not even the Dark One or the Forsaken can stop horses from throwing shoes.

On the other hand, Jordan/Sanderson's descriptions of riding were always a little bit baffling. 

I was hoping they would go with a haflinger for Bela. It is a cart horse breed, and they are not too big, shaggy and a bit stocky. The unique color would help non-horse people identify her later on in the books. A yellow horse with white man sticks out with all the iberian and frisian horses they probably will use going forward.

Very happy with Aldieb and Mandarb as well, and even more so that we can tell that the actors are riding themselves, even though I kinda wnat to tell Rosamund to shorten her reins ?

4 hours ago, Morani said:

I was hoping they would go with a haflinger for Bela. It is a cart horse breed, and they are not too big, shaggy and a bit stocky. The unique color would help non-horse people identify her later on in the books. A yellow horse with white man sticks out with all the iberian and frisian horses they probably will use going forward.

Very happy with Aldieb and Mandarb as well, and even more so that we can tell that the actors are riding themselves, even though I kinda wnat to tell Rosamund to shorten her reins ?

I was hoping for a Highland or even a bay cob-type, but a Haffie would certainly stand out. Any of those native mountain/moorland types would fit the description.

I have a three-year old Andalusian, and even for a baby, she is brave. Learns so fast and gets over scary new things faster than any other horse I've owned. I see why they are so popular for TV. The one playing Adlieb looks like a dream.

My Highland, however, is ready to invade your city walls.

338214BB-7A48-4A9D-8465-1444A9F492A1_1_201_a.jpeg

Edited by Gypsum

20 minutes ago, Gypsum said:

I was hoping for a Highland or even a bay cob-type, but a Haffie would certainly stand out. Any of those native mountain/moorland types would fit the description.

I have a three-year old Andalusian, and even for a baby, she is brave. Learns so fast and gets over scary new things faster than any other horse I've owned. I see why they are so popular for TV. The one playing Adlieb looks like a dream.

My Highland, however, is ready to invade your city walls.

338214BB-7A48-4A9D-8465-1444A9F492A1_1_201_a.jpeg

She is gorgeous! I am currently horseless (a horrible affliction) but am actually looking at an andalusian or a PRE for my next horse.

Me and my SO went on a week long riding trip in northern Spain like 10 years ago. Those horses are like mountain goats! So smart and brave. 

I think they should have thought about not picking 5 dark brown horses for the EF5. They all look to similar, and people who are not fan of the books will not think there is anything special about Bela. Keeping her importance is a cheap "aaaaw" moment they could have cashed in on later when Bela is reunited with Eggy. I guess Bela is described as being brown, so I agree a cob or something would have been great. Preferable with some white markings to make her stand out more.

That one's a gelding! Not pretending to be a mare, lol.

Yeah, even a Clyde cross with a lot of white would have worked, though I hazily recall Jordan describing her as 'short.'  Jordan spent a lot of time writing about the horses. Not convinced he'd ever ridden one or been around many, but they all stood out as characters. Would be nice to see a bit of that coming through on the tele.

On 11/22/2021 at 10:27 AM, DojoToad said:

Hard to tell - the dark horses all looked the same to me, but then I don't have an eye for horseflesh...

I am watching each episode at least twice because I watch once in English and once in another language. I was paying more attention, and what *slightly* distinguishes Bella (the one Egwene rides) from the other three Two River horses, which are all dark brown or black as far as I can tell... is that Bella is not all dark... She has a bit of white fur growing above her hind hooves. Alas, who knows if & when we'll see her after Shadar Logoth.

Edited by sierramekate

5 hours ago, sierramekate said:

I am watching each episode at least twice because I watch once in English and once in another language. I was paying more attention, and what *slightly* distinguishes Bella (the one Egwene rides) from the other three Two River horses, which are all dark brown or black as far as I can tell... is that Bella is not all dark... She has a bit of white fur growing above her hind hooves. Alas, who knows if & when we'll see her after Shadar Logoth.

Yea Bella has rear white feet.  I thought a few times Egwene was riding different horse but white feet stayed consistent.

my dream horse | Explore Tumblr Posts and Blogs | Tumgir

This is, has been, and will always be Bella in my head.  

11 hours ago, sierramekate said:

Oh no. I thought Bella was the white horse that got away from Shadar Logoth along with Mandarb and the other dark horse. But if that wasn't Bella, I'm now realizing I have no idea which horse IS Bella ;__;

I need to watch it again, but I am sure Bela just ran off with all the other horses in Shadar Logoth.  That being the case they should all be dead.  By the time Perrin and Egwene had jumped into the river, the entire city was covered in black Mashadar.

Somehow, Moiraines and Lan's horses were outside again when they emerged from the place they had used as refuge - as if they never ran off in the first place???? - but Bela was not with them.

So, Bela is dead or very smart indeed to evade Mashadar and find an exit.

Edited by Maximillion