DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

On 11/21/2021 at 8:23 AM, Deadsy said:

I find it weird. Just like I find it weird when my favorite football team starts losing a bunch of people who've never posted on the forum about it come out of the woodwork and cry about it. Why weren't they interested enough to talk about positives before?

And yes the only ones I've noticed are haters so far but I haven't been focused on it.

Delete

Edited by Chwooly

3 hours ago, Beidomon said:

To be honest, while it’s clear they’re trying to build up the female characters - Wonder Woman Nynaeve - it didn’t really dawn on me that there conversely shitting all over the male characters.

If this aspect had been in the book, I could accept it. The problem that "we" are having is that there was very little attempt to stick with the foundations of Jim's story as written. They took his world and the names in his world and delivered a different product. This is the issue, here.

3 hours ago, divica said:

But most of all, I don't get why rand isn't the main character of the story and they made him so bland and boring. For any person that didn't read the books egwene is the main character and wil become the dragon.

Well, the most common explanation is that they are trying to play up this “mystery” of who the DR is…. but anyone who watches these first episodes should already know that. So the other explanation is that they’re trying to build up other characters to make this more of an ensemble. But that happens naturally in the books over time. And it is happening at Rand’s expense. And they don’t seem to care ‘cause “modern sensibilities.” And I could forgive it if the show didn’t look so bland and fake. It’s a TV show, it’s all fake. But it’s not supposed to feel fake. 

13 minutes ago, Akragard said:

You've clearly never worked in the service industry. This is a pretty common thing. People are less likely to take the time to point out something they liked. Right or wrong, that's kinda the way it goes.

I have. And I didn't say it was rare. I said it was weird, and it is. Although when you are the one working it's a lot worse than that.

6 minutes ago, enigmoxical said:

If this aspect had been in the book, I could accept it. The problem that "we" are having is that there was very little attempt to stick with the foundations of Jim's story as written. They took his world and the names in his world and delivered a different product. This is the issue, here.

I mean, it kind of was. Men were a lesser class of citizen because of the breaking of the world following the 100 Companions failed siege. But that's just it. The bias already exists in the world. It didn't need to be increased.

1 minute ago, Beidomon said:

Well, the most common explanation is that they are trying to play up this “mystery” of who the DR is…. but anyone who watches these first episodes should already know that. So the other explanation is that they’re trying to build up other characters to make this more of an ensemble. But that happens naturally in the books over time. And it is happening at Rand’s expense. And they don’t seem to care ‘cause “modern sensibilities.” And I could forgive it if the show didn’t look so bland and fake. It’s a TV show, it’s all fake. But it’s not supposed to feel fake. 

It’s an ensemble show. You can’t just shelve all the mains and spend the rest of the season with Rand and Mat. That won’t work for tv. 

12 minutes ago, Chwooly said:

I am guilty of being 1 of those people. However in my defense, 

A) I am not big on social media.

B) I first started reading the books 30 years ago. 

C) Since the books are so old I didn't think there was an active community.

D) I only just found out about Dragonmount.

E) It is a generally understood reaction that most people don't praise 1/2 as much as they complain.

And yes I am unhappy with how the show is turning out, Both because of how the show is deviating from the books and just in general how the show is overall. Because none of my friends have any interest in WOT books or show. I have no other recourse then to discuss (vent) here. 

Cheers

Once you have it out of your system you should meander to the book forums

Just now, enigmoxical said:

Exactly the point, Deadsy. With the books, there was no need to clutter the discussion with my opinion. I posted when Jim died, and that's all I posted. I read the books many times because I liked them. I do not like this "adaptation," and I believe that Jim would barf if he were still living. This was his baby, and they flat screwed it up.

His family disagrees with you.

28 minutes ago, Akragard said:

Most people aren't saying it is all bad. But it's not nearly as good as everyone expected, I think is the problem. For the amount of money they had to spend, it still feels cheap.

There is some good. The Fades damn terrifying. The young kid actors are actually really good, if not for the dialogue lines they have to spew. There is not enough good given how much was spent to make this show. It's 8 episodes long. They had 100 million or something like that. That's 12.5 mil per episode and this is what we got for it? This is the problem people have.

Where did the money go, Rafe? Where did the money go?!

Yup I’m in the same boat. I don’t hate the show. I want it to succeed. There are good things here. But the end product feels cheap. 

Just now, Deadsy said:

I have. And I didn't say it was rare. I said it was weird, and it is. Although when you are the one working it's a lot worse than that.

It's not weird. The books have been around for 30 years. People, for the most part, don't need to discuss them as much because they were a decade old prior to the rise of the Internet.

The shows are brand new. They are different and people want to discuss it. This is one of the top forums for all things WoT and the top Google search result.

1 minute ago, Akragard said:

It's not weird. The books have been around for 30 years. People, for the most part, don't need to discuss them as much because they were a decade old prior to the rise of the Internet.

The shows are brand new. They are different and people want to discuss it. This is one of the top forums for all things WoT and the top Google search result.

To each his/her own I suppose but if I hated an adaptation I would stop watching, not create an account on a website I've never been on.

2 minutes ago, flinn said:

Off topic but for some reason the posts about 2 post people and internet etc, made me think of the original WoT site I was a member of... any one else old Wotmania members? For many years that site was great.

Yup. What was your name on there?

12 hours ago, RextheDog said:

to be fair, they are leaving the town as trollocs decend from the mountains, closing in, he has no time for a funeral pyre.....

that said, the leaving and the reason they had to go was very underdone, i hope they dont mess other things up as badly.

That was also stupid those torches where incredibly close to Emonds Field the odds on the trollocs not wiping out the village as they pass is non existent. In the books they had to leave because they would keep sending more and more attackers making the village a battleground.

3 minutes ago, Mailman said:

That was also stupid those torches where incredibly close to Emonds Field the odds on the trollocs not wiping out the village as they pass is non existent. In the books they had to leave because they would keep sending more and more attackers making the village a battleground.

Not buying this. They were way the heck up the hill, mountain actually. There was plenty of time for the party to get far enough so as to make it a huge waste of time to go through the village.

Edited by Deadsy

Well, after two viewings of the first 3 eps, and after much back and forth with relatives, and after browsing through the passionate discourse here, I have accepted the adaptation and won't be too critical...although I must admit that the passionate purist viewpoints make me smile. ?

Have folks been following the titles of the eps? This I must comment on. The first three (Leavetaking, Shadow's Waiting, and A Place of Safety) are all chapters of TEofW. That is cool, EXCEPT for one thing...A Place of Safety is a complete misnomer and the ep has no business being titled that. In fact it is an absolute tease. In the book, it is the chapter where Rand is with a recovering Tam and has an intense conversation with Moraine and Lan about possible purpose, reality, his heron blade and his devotion to his father. It is a wonderful chapter and I'm trying hard to grok why the showrunner chose to name a post-Shadar Logoth episode this way.

Any thoughts?

Don't get me started on the next ep's title..The Dragon Reborn.  Too soon! Too soon!

9 minutes ago, Deadsy said:

To each his/her own I suppose but if I hated an adaptation I would stop watching, not create an account on a website I've never been on.

Isn't that a major part of what the internet is for, lol? You can't be honestly wholly unaware of the concept of, "Rest assured that I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world."

I'm sad about the seemingly not well thought through changes, and the various problems, but I'm still hopeful things will improve and I'm excited to see the rest of the season even though I'm not expecting much to improve at this point.

Here is an Always Sad New Perrin to express my feelings. And for the folks having a hard time having to read all the posts of the people looking for somewhere to register their disgust online:

sad_perrin.PNG

9 hours ago, Maximillion said:

A 2 hour first episode and 10 episodes per season was the request to Amazon and they refused.

I think we're seeing on screen now the effect of that decision and why things feel rushed.  It's been chopped to pieces.

That would have made so much more sense allow them the time to establish the world.

2 minutes ago, Jackdaw_Fool said:

Isn't that a major part of what the internet is for, lol? You can't be honestly wholly unaware of the concept of, "Rest assured that I was on the internet within minutes, registering my disgust throughout the world."

I'm sad about the seemingly not well thought through changes, and the various problems, but I'm still hopeful things will improve and I'm excited to see the rest of the season even though I'm not expecting much to improve at this point.

I didn't say I was unaware of people being weird.

Interesting that Moiraine's line about rumors of four Ta'veren in the Two Rivers was apparently not in the script sent to Sanderson and was added later.

Also apparently the original script from the writing team had Moiraine attack the ferry whilst the ferryman was on it and Sanderson had to point out this would break the three oaths.

Reading Sanderson's thoughts (of all the little changes he had to suggest and issues he pointed out to the writing team) pretty much confirms to me that Sarah Nakamura was hired for appearance sake only and is either being ignored most of the time or is unwilling to point out most bad changes that her boss comes up with.

It really does make me appreciate Sanderson, I just wish they listened to him more because pretty much everything he's said I'm in agreement with.

Edited by AusLeviathan