DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

Wasn’t Mordeth teased in the trailer of Mat’s dagger? I think I recall a voice saying “let’s make a deal,” major disappointment that he didn’t make an appearance. His engagement with the characters is either my favorite or second favorite part of the first book.

So I’m guessing he got cut, unless I’m not remembering correctly.

2 hours ago, MasterAblar said:

Considering the fact that we can all agree that the 1st episode felt extremely rushed

We "all" don't agree. We all don't agree that skipping Baerlon was an abomination. We all don't agree that Nynaeve was not a warrior in the book. (If one can't understand that all warriors do not have chain mail and swords, then bless you.) We all don't agree that we wish they never made the series because Padan Fain didn't give the news in Two Rivers. I am sympathetic to any fan of the series, and there will be many, who has to read the overwhelming negativity by some here. It got me down until I chose to ignore it. As in all adaptatons of books to film  things are different, necessarily. Characters' thoughts, a major part of books, cannot easily be shown. Magical effects are not visual in books but must be in the series. Dreams are a challenge. Maybe there should be separate forums for extreme negativity and for those exploring the series positively.

30 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Maybe there should be separate forums for extreme negativity and for those exploring the series positively.

Really?

Discussing differing opinions is healthy.

If you want to believe the series has not been rushed so far or that Nynaeve's story in the early part of TEOTW was one of a warrior that's fine.  I don't agree with you and think the series has been rushed and has suffered from it.  I also think Nynaeve's character is entirely too 'warrior princess' in the TV series.  Each to their own views.  No need to segregate thoughts and views in this world.

Edited by Maximillion

3 hours ago, rowdie said:

I remember the test for becoming Aes Sedi was being able to channel under extreme stress.  This just doesn't seem right with respect to the books.  Now if he has an object like a the fox head medalian, then ok.

That is a great point. Forgot about the testing. Intense pain and stress….. this def seems like a plot hole with the info we have now.

31 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

We "all" don't agree. We all don't agree that skipping Baerlon was an abomination. We all don't agree that Nynaeve was not a warrior in the book. (If one can't understand that all warriors do not have chain mail and swords, then bless you.) We all don't agree that we wish they never made the series because Padan Fain didn't give the news in Two Rivers. I am sympathetic to any fan of the series, and there will be many, who has to read the overwhelming negativity by some here. It got me down until I chose to ignore it. As in all adaptatons of books to film  things are different, necessarily. Characters' thoughts, a major part of books, cannot easily be shown. Magical effects are not visual in books but must be in the series. Dreams are a challenge. Maybe there should be separate forums for extreme negativity and for those exploring the series positively.

Fair enough. “Given that a common criticism of the 1st episode is that it felt rushed” should have been my words if you prefer. That isn’t overwhelming negativity by the way, it’s been said by both people who have been very negative (including some who basically just spew hate for the show with no actual details) and others who feel rather positive about the show (I being one of them).

Regardless I think you misunderstood my post since I was trying to bring across that, just as you pointed out, a considerable amount of things unfortunately have to be cut from the show. 

Nynaeve killing a Trolloc didn't really bother me. Given that in the books we didn't really see what happened in Emond's Field during the fight and knowing Nynaeve's personality, I always just assumed she fought. Everyone would have had to fight to survive.

I really didn't like Nynaeve in the books until later, but then she grew to become one of my favorite characters. I'm happy that they showed her fire and stubbornness that will be so important in events later on.

9 minutes ago, Katherine said:

That is a great point. Forgot about the testing. Intense pain and stress….. this def seems like a plot hole with the info we have now.

Exactly, how can they deviate that far from what is in Jordan's world?  Maybe having white cloaks executing one by chance, but a collection of rings?   

The books tell a great story, all you gotta do is not EFF It up.

21 minutes ago, Maximillion said:

I also think Nynaeve's character is entirely too 'warrior princess' in the TV series.

How is she a 'warrior princess'? Because she killed a Trolloc and snuck up on Lan? (And then got easily handled by him). 

I find this criticism silly. She's not taking out multiple opponents or being unrealistically great at anything - except maybe tracking (which is canon). If anything, it's that they have not done enough to show us Lan being awesome.

13 minutes ago, MasterAblar said:

Fair enough. “Given that a common criticism of the 1st episode is that it felt rushed” should have been my words if you prefer.

Agreed. But there is one other thing about "common" criticism. That does not make it right. 12 people on a jury can agree, and it can be wrong wrong wrong. After the last season of GoT the common criticism was similar to the generic hatred of the series in the majority of the posters here (not you). And yet, my bold prediction is that ( minus the strabucks) it will be considered a classic in time. It's too early to conclude about WoT but the promising start is commonly ravaged herein.

15 minutes ago, rowdie said:

Exactly, how can they deviate that far from what is in Jordan's world?  Maybe having white cloaks executing one by chance, but a collection of rings?   

The books tell a great story, all you gotta do is not EFF It up.

Honestly, I kinda love Valda keeping trophies from all the Aes Sedai he’s executed. I know it doesn’t match the lore from the books, but it really makes the Whitecloaks a much more terrifying antagonist. I’m interested to see how this plays out. 

3 hours ago, SonOfBattles82 said:

I am sad and wish the show had never been made because this is the only screen adaptation we will ever get. So much wrong with everything about it to the point it makes me angry to watch so I'll stick to my umpteenth reread.

I'm not at that point but totally understand your view.  I started my umpteenth reread in October.  

I'm loving some of the special effects and the trollocks and fades I love also.   

They should be showing MAPS of the WOT world!!  At least Game Of Thrones would show the world in music.   And if they deviate from the actual WOT maps and world too much, they may lose me.   I'm watching it with my wife who hasn't read books, so I'm trying to explain the background a little as it goes.

We all knew going in that there would be many missed plots and character traits due to print-to-film transitions, but the criticism of the fighter aspects of Nynaeve are clearly misplaced.  Her documented development began with her survivor/warrior instincts as Wisdom and protector of Emonds Fielders.  That was the reason she followed the party and resents Moiraine so much throughout the beginning. 

In the series they have changed and damaged so much of the story that Nynaeve is breath of fresh air after seeing an entire plot line and character created outside of Jordan's world.  Thus far (?) she is keeping me hopeful that different consultants and directors will get the show back on track with the greatest fantasy epic already written

8 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

Honestly, I kinda love Valda keeping trophies from all the Aes Sedai he’s executed. I know it doesn’t match the lore from the books, but it really makes the Whitecloaks a much more terrifying antagonist. I’m interested to see how this plays out. 

I’m fully on board with the whitecloaks being more of an actual threat to Aes Sedai and Valda being an active hunter of them is great. 

They will have to explain the method at some point though as within the series we have been told that an Aes Sedai is worth a thousand soldiers and watched a small band of soldiers burn one alive. 

I’m not particularly understanding the criticism of the series for the Aes Sedai not channeling without her hands. It’s established pretty early on that they have to waive their hands due to being taught that way. It’s only when the Wise Ones come into it that movements are removed, which shocks the Aes Sedai almost as much as the Wise Ones being able to channel. 

Edited by Meskell

5 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

Exactly! The books are not a Bible that needs defense by True Believers. At best the books live and breathe, and new artists enhance the series in that sense. 

11 minutes ago, rowdie said:

They should be showing MAPS of the WOT world!!  At least Game Of Thrones would show the world in music.   And if they deviate from the actual WOT maps and world too much, they may lose me.   I'm watching it with my wife who hasn't read books, so I'm trying to explain the background a little as it goes.

I appreciate Maps. On the other hand, once travelling is introduced, maps become a little moot.

11 minutes ago, JenniferL said:

Yeah, the Whitecloaks always felt ineffective in the books, despite being named as opposition to the Aes Sedai. Valda was a gem in his cruelty and he clearly upped the ante in that department.

2 hours ago, Ashaman Caleb said:

Wasn’t Mordeth teased in the trailer of Mat’s dagger? I think I recall a voice saying “let’s make a deal,” major disappointment that he didn’t make an appearance. His engagement with the characters is either my favorite or second favorite part of the first book.

So I’m guessing he got cut, unless I’m not remembering correctly.

I bet we get an encounter between Fain and Mat later on in the series that brings out a few more things.