DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Season 1 Discussion (Full Book Spoilers)

SinisterDeath

Ok, so I've had a re-watch (the alternative task this afternoon was ironing shirts).  I think I might have identified why Matt's portrayal annoys me, although I could be over-analysing in an effort to identify the root of my dislike.  It seems to me almost as if he is being overdubbed by someone who is speaking the same language but with a different accent, leading to a very slight lip-synch mismatch.  Has anyone else noticed that, or is it just me?

And I still have to iron some shirts.

5 minutes ago, Akragard said:

Yeah, the Whitecloaks always felt ineffective in the books, despite being named as opposition to the Aes Sedai. Valda was a gem in his cruelty and he clearly upped the ante in that department.

They were basically an insignificant military threat to Aes Sedai. Even the three oaths and a ‘sneaky arrow’ explanations weren’t sufficient to understand why the Aes Sedai even thought about them. 

Fine they could have some influence in the political sphere but no so much as to make them almost a world power. 

5 minutes ago, DaddyFinn said:

There's a map in the Explore-section. It even shows the traveling routes of the groups. It's not perfect but has tons of potential

Thanks I'll have to check it out, my wife bought the RokuStick and thus has the remote lol

4 hours ago, denise_42 said:

I haven’t read the books yet, I am just watching the tv show and enjoying it would you recommend reading the books they look a little bit big are they worth reading and wading through.

yes 100%

the show has deviated from the books so you wont miss the suprises and twists the books throw up.

they do get bogged down in detail in the middle books but by that stage youll be hooked in the world and wont care.

8 minutes ago, WhiteVeils said:

I bet we get an encounter between Fain and Mat later on in the series that brings out a few more things.

I am thinking when we get to Padan Fain, there will be a flashback sequence of him sneaking into Shadar Logoth and getting "possessed" by mashadar and then leading Mat to get the dagger to take out of Shadar Logoth for him. I think we will also learn about Layla from Padan Fain, being the DF that gave her orders.

2 minutes ago, Meskell said:

Fine they could have some influence in the political sphere but no so much as to make them almost a world power. 

Yes. Stay tuned and verify that does or doesn't happen (almost certainly not). Which leads to another criticism of criticism. If something appears that you don't like, or something doesn't appear that you like, wait. Elyas is missing--wait. Nynaeve is kidnapped--wait.

2 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Yes. Stay tuned and verify that does or doesn't happen (almost certainly not). Which leads to another criticism of criticism. If something appears that you don't like, or something doesn't appear that you like, wait. Elyas is missing--wait. Nynaeve is kidnapped--wait.

I don’t really understand if you are mocking my point or what the aim of your post was. 

4 minutes ago, flinn said:

I am thinking when we get to Padan Fain, there will be a flashback sequence of him sneaking into Shadar Logoth and getting "possessed" by mashadar and then leading Mat to get the dagger to take out of Shadar Logoth for him. I think we will also learn about Layla from Padan Fain, being the DF that gave her orders.

This would be cool. I always felt like the way it was done in the books made Mat seem next level stupid. When Mordeth explodes into mist and Morraine asks if they accepted anything from him, Mats silly justification of 'I took it, it wasn't given' was eyeroll. This way, it's understandable why he took it and never really thought about the risk.

11 minutes ago, Meskell said:

Any predictions for storylines they are almost definitely going to cut?

I feel like Noal Charon as a whole will be kiboshed.

No Noal, no Kin, not sure about the Seafolk, probably no renegade Aiel, or at least dealt with more quickly and decisively. Probably no portal stone jaunts. 

2 minutes ago, rowdie said:

I didn't read GOT books, but mean too.  So IDK how far the TV series deviates but so far I would have to say GOT is better.   

I'm not sure why so many are happy about how far it deviates from the books?  Strange to me.

Its not so much that I’m happy about the changes, but more like I understand they are going to make changes and so I’m trying to be open minded about them instead of reflexively rejecting them as “wrong”. It’s not like Rafe Judkins broke into my house and ripped all the pages out of my books. I can always go back to them if I prefer that version of the story. 

Since many bring up GoT, a comment on the HBO series.  When it started it was not the huge blockbuster it became. The first season was nearly ignored, at least until the last episode. It took a couple of years to reach its now revered status. Also, don't hold WoT to the GoT standard. The books are different and the series also should be.

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

Since many bring up GoT, a comment on the HBO series.  When it started it was not the huge blockbuster it became. The first season was nearly ignored, at least until the last episode. It took a couple of years to reach its now revered status. Also, don't hold WoT to the GoT standard. The books are different and the series also should be.

It’s more that GoT finally brought fantasy tv mainstream, rather than Hercules/Xena (which I loved) or SciFi schlock. 

It doesn’t have to be a masterpiece from day one but it has to have a feel and a consistent world view. GoT very early on felt like an established world with character motivations that were understandable. At the moment WoT feels a bit ‘scene gap new scene gap new scene’ like there isn’t a flow. You don’t get a feel for why characters are operating in certain ways. 

I think coming into this blind would be a real struggle for people to get hooked. 

6 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

Tossing Bran out of the window in ep 1 was a hook. Everyone wanted to see Jaime/Cersei get theirs for it. Then we basically go into travelogue mode and the book (and the show) were kind of boring until Ned gets his head chopped off, then we are back to "I cant wait to see them get theirs" mode. Books 2 and 3 were good, 4 and 5 are average at best.

6 minutes ago, Meskell said:

It doesn’t have to be a masterpiece from day one but it has to have a feel and a consistent world view

And don't you think that's what the common criticism of GoT HBO was after 3 episodes? I read the books first and watched the series from day 1. Unless you were there from the start, you're just guessing (incorrectly).

1 minute ago, Harad the White said:

And don't you think that's what the common criticism of GoT HBO was after 3 episodes? I read the books first and watched the series from day 1. Unless you were there from the start, you're just guessing (incorrectly).

Why is your immediate assumption that I hadn’t both read the books and watched the show?

I read the books first and thought they were pretty poor if I’m honest. Watched the series, was happy with it, re-read the books and thought they were slightly improved but not by much. 

Your condescension and arrogance is misplaced. 

12 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

There is one meaningful change as I stated. Your list are a bunch of nits: "There is no gate at Shadar Logoth."

You think there is one meaningful change.

What you state carries no weight beyond your own opinion.

My opinion - and others - is that there are far too many meaningful changes including some of the ones you think are 'nits'

Just now, Harad the White said:

Excuse me if I said "unless." Since you were there from the start, if you believe the HBO was a hit from the start, then you are just wrong.

I didn’t say it was a hit anywhere from day one, so I don’t know why you think I did?

I said that it felt like a more established world from day one. 

3 minutes ago, Harad the White said:

My opinion is keerect, imo.

Opinions on subjective matters can be neither incorrect or correct.

Opinions on what is meaningful change is all down to individual interpretation.

Unless facts are being discussed, it's best not get too hung up on what is 'keerect' or not.

It doesn't matter.

Edited by Maximillion