DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Accents - how will they handle them?

Elgee

Has there been any talk of how they're going to handle accents?

If we look at the Emonds Fielders, they're Dutch, English, Irish, Australian, and New Zealander (main lot).

Are they going to have them all speak with one accent, like they tried with the Northeners in GoT?

If so, which accent?

I'll watch the dubbed version. Much as I'm proud of my english proficiency, and i can read english like a native speaker, i have more problems hearing it in a movie. especially with accents and background sound to distract. in the best case, i can understand everything but it requires so much concentration that it distracts from enjoying the movie.

Unfortunately, a lot of the specific terms of the books sound really silly in their italian translation. I am afraid it could be too much, and I may have to actually watch the show in english with subtitles.

anyway, I'll have much greater problems than accents

Edited by king of nowhere

I may have been unintentionally misleading with my first response...

From the Sept. 2018 Q&A

@RSQuackenbush: Hey, Rafe! SO pumped to see this happening- do you plan on matching any specific accent to a region? Ex: English accent to Andor
Rafe Judkins: Yes and no. It’ll be somewhat actor dependent but I’d like to find at least as much consistency as GoT has

This is always fascinating to me because I think there are some nations that are definitively borrowing from real world, like Shienar with Asian cultural undertones, some that are more ambiguously described, and some that have their own individual personality. I personally always saw Andor as English, the Saldaen’s as Spanish and Cairhien as the courts of England/France since there was some crossover in landownership between Cairhien and Andor through lords. Not to mention the historic relevancy of “the great game” between England and France, and Cairhien being the center of Daes Dae’mar …so it will be very interesting to see how much switches in the show with my head canon. 

I remember hearing an interview of the Stark "kids" from GoT and how they all settled on the accents they loosely kept during the show.  They were trying to see what accents the actors were able to do so they all sounded as close as possible and when they asked Sean Bean what accents he could do he told them something along the lines of Yorkshire...you're getting nothing else from me.  So all the actors of the Stark kids tried to adjust their natural accents to Yorkshire, cause it's f'n Sean Bean!  Obviously it wasn't exactly the same but it was still entertaining to learn that afterwards.

I wonder if anything like that will happen in this one.

39 minutes ago, redgiant said:

You need to go listen to the guy replacing Barney.

Hiding that accent will be fun, unless Matt in Season 1 happens to talk with a considerable Irish brogue.

Someone mentioned somewhere that it would be funny if Donal-Mat spoke with irish accent when speaking the old tongue ?

12 hours ago, thehumantrashcan said:

I remember hearing an interview of the Stark "kids" from GoT and how they all settled on the accents they loosely kept during the show.  They were trying to see what accents the actors were able to do so they all sounded as close as possible and when they asked Sean Bean what accents he could do he told them something along the lines of Yorkshire

Yep. It's a beautiful accent too! ?

Luckily most people don't know accents well enough (unless it's from their own area) to know that actors aren't doing them quite right. As long as the actors portraying characters from the same are sound sort of similar, I think that's enough for most viewers. But when you start mixing a Dutch accent with Irish and maybe Welsh ... that won't work ... lol

4 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I was highly offended as Midwesterners don't have accents...

You must sound just like us South Africans then! *grins*

I must say that there are some American accents I find very hard to understand. I think they're Southern.

And then there are quite a few British accents that are incomprehensible. In fact, I dated a guy from England for 2 years - couldn't understand a word he said. Didn't even know we were dating because I just said yes to every question he asked.

• Community Administrator
8 hours ago, DojoToad said:

I grew up in the Chicago suburbs.  Moved to California when I was 20 and was asked what my accent was.  I was highly offended as Midwesterners don't have accents...

Some regional accents have largely disappeared, but there's hold outs.

In Minnesota, city folks say the thick Minnesota accent seen in the movie "Fargo" is only found in rural areas, but that's not true.

Rural Areas with high Tourism shifted to "American English".

The more remote areas it's definitely true, but there's pockets in the suburbs where that accent is really thick.

Chicago is supposed to have its own accent, different then their neighbors slightly to the north.

Something Fun to do, ask someone from MN/WI to say the word Bag. (It sounds like Beg)

2 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

Some regional accents have largely disappeared, but there's hold outs.

In Minnesota, city folks say the thick Minnesota accent seen in the movie "Fargo" is only found in rural areas, but that's not true.

Rural Areas with high Tourism shifted to "American English".

The more remote areas it's definitely true, but there's pockets in the suburbs where that accent is really thick.

Chicago is supposed to have its own accent, different then their neighbors slightly to the north.

Fun note, ask someone from MN/WI to say the word Bag. (It sounds like Beg)

More than 1 person in SoCal thought I had an accent, so I guess I do.  And I thought I was so 'normal'.  Ha!

• Community Administrator
1 hour ago, DojoToad said:

More than 1 person in SoCal thought I had an accent, so I guess I do.  And I thought I was so 'normal'.  Ha!

This comedian does a good rendition of a variety of accents. ?

https://youtu.be/G72tZdjnS2A

13 hours ago, Elgee said:

And then there are quite a few British accents that are incomprehensible. In fact, I dated a guy from England for 2 years - couldn't understand a word he said. Didn't even know we were dating because I just said yes to every question he asked.

You dated a Northerner then ?