DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Accents - how will they handle them?

Elgee

I appreciate the tone and intelligence of this conversation. But we are also drifting a good way away from the topic of accent and dialect and headed toward a different type of discussion entirely. 

Here's the thing: the die has been cast. The showrunners have made a decision about the way they want to depict the people of Emond's Field. If that decision breaks the show for you, fine. But the arguments over casting have been beaten to death and opinions have hardened. There is no progress to be made in continuing to discuss the issue and only inviting trolls and agitators.

Please let's get back on topic so I'm not forced to lock the thread. Thanks! 

26 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I appreciate the tone and intelligence of this conversation. But we are also drifting a good way away from the topic of accent and dialect and headed toward a different type of discussion entirely. 

Here's the thing: the die has been cast. The showrunners have made a decision about the way they want to depict the people of Emond's Field. If that decision breaks the show for you, fine. But the arguments over casting have been beaten to death and opinions have hardened. There is no progress to be made in continuing to discuss the issue and only inviting trolls and agitators.

Please let's get back on topic so I'm not forced to lock the thread. Thanks! 

Agreed!

About dialects, I think its relevant to know how much time these actors have to prepare for a role and how good they are at it. If distinct dialects going to work it has to be really good. Thats why most directors dont dive into that.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't mind what accents they have so long as there is some continuity. My feelings are that Two Rivers is a small place with not much migration going on so everyone should have a similar accent. In a more urban area like Caemlyn or the Tar Valon it would be more logical to have a collection of different accents because people from all over the map could have ended up there

I'm hanging out for the Two Rivers to sound Jamaican, the Aiel to sound Cockney, the Andorans to sound BBC Comedic French a la Monty Python's Holy Grail, the Saldaeans to sound Irish, the Murandians to sound Comedic TexMex, the Taireans to sound South Indian, the Cairhienin to sound Bavarian or Austrian, the Shienarans to sound Nigerian, the Illianers to sound Italian, the Taraboners to sound Comedic New Yorker ... and of course the Atha'an Miere to sound Polynesian/Melanesian/Micronesian. Seanchans must of course sound like BBC Received Pronunciation of (other than) blessed memory.