DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Lews Therin

Guire

I saw that Lews Therin appears to have been cast and apparently actor has a good grasp on the old tongue. This doesn't look substantiated yet. CaddySedai being in my head on another thread got me thinking of Lews.

Any way we might see actual Lews in some way during Rand's internal arguments?  Possibly speaking old tongue with subtitles.  I know this would be incredibly difficult to do without becoming irritating or cheesy.  Can't decide if this might be way to create this dynamic.  Even a voice over in old tongue might be cool.

Edited by Guire

27 minutes ago, Guire said:

I saw that Lews Therin appears to have been cast and apparently actor has a good grasp on the old tongue. This doesn't look substantiated yet. CaddySedai being in my head on another thread got me thinking of Lews.

Any way we might see actual Lews in some way during Rand's internal arguments?  Possibly speaking old tongue with subtitles.  I know this would be incredibly difficult to do without becoming irritating or cheesy.  Can't decide if this might be way to create this dynamic.  Even a voice over in old tongue might be cool.

I would love Lews Therin to speak the Old Tongue in talking with Rand. That would be really cool, but then how does that take away from Mat having special Old Tongue knowledge? Because if Rand can already communicate in the Old Tongue pre-Dragonmount, then it takes away from the special-ness of his being able to speak it later, after Veins of Gold. It's a problem for sure. 

7 hours ago, Asha'man Shar'aman said:

I would love Lews Therin to speak the Old Tongue in talking with Rand. That would be really cool, but then how does that take away from Mat having special Old Tongue knowledge? Because if Rand can already communicate in the Old Tongue pre-Dragonmount, then it takes away from the special-ness of his being able to speak it later, after Veins of Gold. It's a problem for sure. 

Ugh.  Had thought of that. 

22 hours ago, Guire said:

I wouldn’t think at first, so they can play up the madness aspect. 

Has it been confirmed that they cast a male actor to play Lews Therin? What if, just hang with me here, LT is actually a woman “in this turning,” and the internal struggle between Rand and LT is actually Rand transitioning? Could that help the show “appeal to a younger audience?”

45 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

Yes.

Alexander Karim plays Lews Therin.

Karim.jpg

And from what I have heard they have had him working strongly with the OldTongue.  I wonder if that means he will speak to Rand in the OT or if it means flashblacks.  Interesting either way.

5 hours ago, Beidomon said:

Has it been confirmed that they cast a male actor to play Lews Therin? What if, just hang with me here, LT is actually a woman “in this turning,” and the internal struggle between Rand and LT is actually Rand transitioning? Could that help the show “appeal to a younger audience?”

No

On 9/10/2021 at 7:16 PM, Beidomon said:

I'm so glad you're not the showrunner..

However they have Lews speaking internally to Rand (voice, visions, Old Tongue, whatever), it's just so great to think how first-time viewers will struggle to figure out who the real Dragon... (unless they just, ya know, google it in 4 seconds.) What with Rand hearing voices, Perrin's eyes turning yellow and talking to wolves, and Mat falling under the grip of the knife... so asymmetric, but so balanced in its own way...

When you read the books, it is pretty obvious Rand is the DR from, what, like chapter 3? Which always made Perrin and Mat's newfound abilities feel to me like elaborate B-plots. Big, epic, plot-pivotal, kingdom-spanning arcs, but B-plots all the same.

But if the show subtly signals to clever viewers that Logain may not actually be the Dragon (even if they—the show-makers and the Aes Sedai both—ostensibly hype him up as the main villain for all or part of Season 1) then first-time viewers are going to be puzzling out whether the real DR is schizophrenic Rand, yellow-eyed Perrin, or curse-infected Mat...

Just a beautiful opportunity to play with viewers' minds and expectations.

On 9/10/2021 at 12:16 PM, Beidomon said:

First, if LT were a woman, then saidar would be tainted instead of saidin.

Secondly, if they want to address the "transitioning" they can do that through Halima.

• Community Administrator
10 hours ago, flinn said:

Secondly, if they want to address the "transitioning" they can do that through Halima.

Yeah, about that....

If that character doesn't get cut or altered, they probably wouldn't focus any narrative towards "transitioning". The most we'll get is something similar to Graendal's "sex house of debauchery" as a way of showing the evil of these characters.

On 9/10/2021 at 8:16 PM, Beidomon said:

What if, just hang with me here, LT is actually a woman “in this turning,” and the internal struggle between Rand and LT is actually Rand transitioning? Could that help the show “appeal to a younger audience?”

So glad they kept LT male. Your suggestion is wrong on so many levels. ?

Since we didn't hear any rumors/leaks about LTT until now alongside Tam speaking in the teaser, I think season one may use the Ravens prologue more than the LTT one.   That's a bit of shame, for me, because the questions raised by the LTT prologue are what hooked me on the series originally.

I figure they reveal LTT slowly as Rand becomes more and more dragon reborny.