DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Trailer Drops Tomorrow

Guest Wolfbrother31

28 minutes ago, Raezold said:

Ah, got it.

I think you're right about it being Shadar Logoth because which other city could it be?

Though they should be with Thom and jump on the boat of Domon instead of climbing some mountain with just the two of them. But I guess everything's going to be changed..

/sigh

Yeah it seems Bayle has been cut from season 1 which is sad.  Thom was moved from EF unfortunately as well.  I believe he shows up after Shadar Logoth when the party is separated.  If I recall from the Dusty Wheel when they unblurred one of the promo scripts Rand asks about strange travelers to a barmaid.  Whom responds the only stranger in town is the Gleeman.

Guest Wolfbrother31
12 minutes ago, Skipp said:

Yeah it seems Bayle has been cut from season 1 which is sad.  Thom was moved from EF unfortunately as well.  I believe he shows up after Shadar Logoth when the party is separated.  If I recall from the Dusty Wheel when they unblurred one of the promo scripts Rand asks about strange travelers to a barmaid.  Whom responds the only stranger in town is the Gleeman.

Yeah. I believe Thom is only in one episode. Fain is only in one episode. Lolial is only in one episode. 

Kind of a bummer. But for TV you can't have all these different characters that the books have - because you need to develop and spend more time on the main story arcs. 

I think we'll get more Thom in S2 with the Andoran crew

Just now, Wolfbrother31 said:

Ya'll won over to the theory that Steppin is gonna be combined to Elyas? I.E. SteppinWolf?

AT this point I am not even going to guess.  Seems logical but who knows.  Franzen is a pretty good actor to just be a throw away warder.  Steppin has to be important somehow.

On 9/9/2021 at 11:31 AM, Elder_Haman said:

What about this concerns you?

You have to remember - TV is a different medium from literature. Effective fantasy worldbuilding is much harder on TV because exposition on TV is hard to do without long, cheesy speeches. 

As we enter the Wheel of Time as readers, the Aes Sedai are the most powerful organization on the continent. They dominate politics and policy. They command fear and respect. They hunt down and capture male channelers. And we know all of this because Jordan tells us.

You can't just tell the TV audience, you have to show them. Putting the Tower at the center of S1 is smart - it gives the writers the ability to immediately help viewers understand important concepts: the Power, the Tower, the Amyrlin, the Hall, the ajahs, and the hunt for male channelers just to name a few. This is important, because getting to know about these things gives the audience the ability to understand the importance of the later shifts in this landscape. 

And it takes nothing away from the story to add Logain (which is the context in which we will see most of the Aes Sedai, I believe) who (as you'll remember) proclaims himself Dragon just before the start of Book 1 and is captured and gentled during the events of that book. In fact, portraying those events not only gives the writers the opportunity to develop a character who deserves more screen time. It also allows them to show the power of saidar and the reason why male channelers are feared. It gives them the chance to introduce the concept of the Dragon, why the Dragon is feared and hated, but also why he is loved and respected. It gives us the chance to see Aes Sedai attitudes toward the Dragon and their ideas for using him at the last battle.

So I'm just curious, why is focusing on the Aes Sedai a bad thing?

IF that’s what WOTTV gives us, then I’m all good with it. I’m excited to see more about Logain and I agree that this could enhance the story. It provides some misdirection and delves into the complexity that makes WOT so unique: Aes Sedai hunting down male channelers even though one is prophesied to save and break the world.

BUT I have two big concerns. The first is that Aes Sedai squabbling horribly bogged down the latter half of WOT up until Jordan’s death. And even if they cut much of this from WOTTV, there’s a bigger concern:

I’ve seen so much W from the promotion to the casting to Rafe’s own comments that I just don’t trust him to keep the focus of this story where it belongs. At its heart, WOT is the story of the Dragon Reborn. The Aes Sedai are an important part of that story, but not the center. I worry that this series and its critics become so taken with the Aes Sedai aspect - it’s a show where the women are in charge! - that Rand is reduced to a plot device. 

And you already see it here on this forum and elsewhere. Comments to the effect that “in this turning” maybe “this story will be told through the eyes of the Aes Sedai.” Some of that is fine. But if that’s the central thrust of WOTTV, ugh. 

23 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

Et Tu?

What you describe is called Aphantasia.

It's also linked to not having an inner monologue. (Not literally hearing voices in your head)

I also don't picture faces/etc when reading (or writing. Which is such a pain.) I will remember things that are repeatedly described/important to the plot, like Nynaeve's braid or Rand's red hair or how we're very clearly told Tuon is Black. But more in a vague awareness kind of way than in actual clear images.

Edited by Rose

23 hours ago, king of nowhere said:

no, aphantasia is a much more drastic condition. I can imagine a friend's face, or my house. I can visualize a book scene in my head if i've seen the movie and i could put faces to characters. And I keep running inner monologues. all stuff that people with genuine aphantasia can't do.

But I can't imagine anything more than a vague sketch from a book description and a bit of fan art. not unless i put hard concentration effort on it, and then i'm not seeing the whole scene anymore

But yeah, more like this than actual aphantasia too, probably.

20 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

I'm already convinced. But. 

Is nobody going to respond to my observation that the Bel Tine (or perhaps Tinker) dance circle is in the shape of a wheel, cut to dead bodies with Aes Sedai in middle in the shape of a wheel, cut to Hall of the Tower in the shape of a wheel. 

I mean, come on, anybody else think thats awesome!? Notice that?

I really liked that too! That and the opening voiceover sequence were my favorites because of the symbolism and the way they tell a story by juxtaposing specific words and images to convey the epic feel of the story and hint at what's to come (plus Easter eggs for book readers)

18 hours ago, Wolfbrother31 said:

? If true, that's interesting. But definitely gonna fact check that!

http://hawaiiantimemachine.blogspot.com/2012/08/ehu-people-redheads-of-polynesia.html?m=1

For the most striking example. However there are also redheads in North Africa, the Middle-East/West Asia, and East Asia (famously, Ismail I of Persia was a redhead and while there's debate around it, it seems Genghis Khan was too).

See also: the blonde recessive gene that's unique to the Hmong population and is a completely different gene from the one that gives Europeans blonde hair: https://hmongthrills.tumblr.com/post/88435065682/every-other-year-hmong-children-are-born-with

Genetics are wild.

Edited by Rose

18 hours ago, SinisterDeath said:

100% a fact. For some it's a form of albinism.

To clarify, I'm not justifying casting only actors of African Descent to play Aiel characters. The vast majority of Aiel should look like Gingers, and make people ask how the hell they aren't lobsters.

That said, Elayne's Red + Gold hair isn't something we really find in reality, unless it's a dye job. 

It's rare but a natural hair color called Strawberry blonde. Hair can be an amazing array of colors. Skin color too. Norma Jeane Baker had naturally strawberry blonde hair as an example which many people don't know because of how famous she was as a bleached blonde.

In terms of casting as I see some not knowing who was casted here is a link to Wot Series

https://www.wotseries.com/wheel-of-time-cast/

There are definitely still some unreleased castings. Masema, Uno and Hurin or Uno/Hurin hybrid would be great. Also the actress cast for Elayne is perfect.

36 minutes ago, Rose said:

I also don't picture faces/etc when reading (or writing. Which is such a pain.) I will remember things that are repeatedly described/important to the plot, like Nynaeve's braid or Rand's red hair or how we're very clearly told Tuon is Black. But more in a vague awareness kind of way than in actual clear images.

Part of why I love WoT above all other books is that in reading them, even the first time I had such clear pictures of the characters and places. People rag on Jordan for overly verbose descriptions but it made the series the most visual of any books I have ever read.  Some of the TV casting is very close to my mental picture some are not evcn remotely close. But I do not anticipate that being a hurdle though I really do not like Siuan and Leane and it has nothing to do with race.

56 minutes ago, Beidomon said:

IF that’s what WOTTV gives us, then I’m all good with it. I’m excited to see more about Logain and I agree that this could enhance the story. It provides some misdirection and delves into the complexity that makes WOT so unique: Aes Sedai hunting down male channelers even though one is prophesied to save and break the world.

BUT I have two big concerns. The first is that Aes Sedai squabbling horribly bogged down the latter half of WOT up until Jordan’s death. And even if they cut much of this from WOTTV, there’s a bigger concern:

I’ve seen so much W from the promotion to the casting to Rafe’s own comments that I just don’t trust him to keep the focus of this story where it belongs. At its heart, WOT is the story of the Dragon Reborn. The Aes Sedai are an important part of that story, but not the center. I worry that this series and its critics become so taken with the Aes Sedai aspect - it’s a show where the women are in charge! - that Rand is reduced to a plot device. 

And you already see it here on this forum and elsewhere. Comments to the effect that “in this turning” maybe “this story will be told through the eyes of the Aes Sedai.” Some of that is fine. But if that’s the central thrust of WOTTV, ugh. 

Okay. That makes sense to me. 

I feel very positive about the series so far, obviously. But if they veer away from the story to the extent that it is no longer about the Dragon, that would shift my opinion considerably. 

Keep one other thing in mind - Elaida’s rationale for the coup. It’s a little convoluted and not the easiest to explain. Putting Moiraine and Logain together might very well link to that storyline. Perhaps Moiraine is blamed for Logain’s escape? Siuan sides with Moiraine and Elaida uses that fact to drive the coup. 

It will help keep things understandable for people who are new to the story if the characters reference things they’ve already experienced by watching, rather than have them refer to things that happened off screen. 

18 minutes ago, Elder_Haman said:

I feel very positive about the series so far, obviously. But if they veer away from the story to the extent that it is no longer about the Dragon, that would shift my opinion considerably. 

Keep one other thing in mind - Elaida’s rationale for the coup. It’s a little convoluted and not the easiest to explain. Putting Moiraine and Logain together might very well link to that storyline. Perhaps Moiraine is blamed for Logain’s escape? Siuan sides with Moiraine and Elaida uses that fact to drive the coup. 

It will help keep things understandable for people who are new to the story if the characters reference things they’ve already experienced by watching, rather than have them refer to things that happened off screen. 

You think Logain escapes back into the wild? Or do you think he is recaptured and gentled?

• Community Administrator
46 minutes ago, johnnysd said:

It's rare but a natural hair color called Strawberry blonde.

Strawberry Blonde would be the closest real world example. I've always read Elayne's hair as Red & Gold. E.g. red hair and golden blonde hair, not mixed like strawberry blonde.

1 hour ago, Beidomon said:

I’ve seen so much W from the promotion to the casting to Rafe’s own comments that I just don’t trust him to keep the focus of this story where it belongs.

You realize, saying "W" instead of Woke is still saying it right?

Just like putting *@$& in place of the letters after the F bomb, is still infact making people read the word.

11 minutes ago, SinisterDeath said:

You realize, saying "W" instead of Woke is still saying it right?

Just like putting *@$& in place of the letters after the F bomb, is still infact making people read the word.

@$&! @$&”$@&&$@@$” &@$?!?!? $&@@?!$&@ 

I just randomly did that so… even Im not sure what I said but I deeply apologize for it and will sit int the corner now. 

#CaddyCancel

3 minutes ago, CaddySedai said:

@$&! @$&”$@&&$@@$” &@$?!?!? $&@@?!$&@ 

I just randomly did that so… even Im not sure what I said but I deeply apologize for it and will sit int the corner now. 

#CaddyCancel

Okay Elayne.

Guest Wolfbrother31
4 hours ago, johnnysd said:

There are definitely still some unreleased castings. Masema, Uno and Hurin or Uno/Hurin hybrid would be great. Also the actress cast for Elayne is perfect.

There has not been someone cast as Elayne yet. You should note that half of those from the link you gave are rumors of questionable reliability.

Guest Wolfbrother31
4 hours ago, Elder_Haman said:

I have shared this concern all along ... But I think the Wokeness is for marketing. The story is plenty progressive and complex and good as it is. Hopefully the changes they make enhance the story/main plot like you suggest. 

I'm just enjoying you all discussing his. I have watched the teaser/trailer 2x now and will leave it at that. ? I did pick up a lot of your ideas and interpretations though!

It is possible I won't like the tv series, but it won't be because it is noy like I imagined or that it doesn't live up to my interpretation of the story. One of the things I enjoyed about the books was that there were actual women in it. Unlike other fantasy-stories ... they felt like a good try to portray women as diverse and varied as the male characters. That was different, then.

(Yes, there were exceptions, in more niche fantasy books, by writers that did not make the big splash at the time. But that is something else).

I am also a trekkie and I have seen the gatekeeping. I don't like it. I don't think it will happen with WoT, and I am certainly not going to be a gatekeeper. I hope loads of people enjoy it and pick up a book because of it. Even if they then say the like the series, but not the books. Or the other way around. What I think is amazing about WoT is the world. And the story at its core, even if I am not always happy with the writing and telling of the story.

I am looking forward to my chihuahua reacting to all the wolves on screen ?