DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Crafting Circle

IdleCuriosity

It’s sort of hard to say. I like learning new skills and finishing a project. I’m often unsatisfied with my painting in the middle of it but I like it when it’s done.

Creating is a great way to spend your time. You bring something into being that wasn’t there before and is uniquely your own.

I enjoy creating because often it's relaxing and fun. Writing I do because if I don't write it down the stories just won't leave my head. So it's sort of imperative that I write them down. I paint for fun, but also a lot of my medieval works are directly 'for' people in the SCA (Peerage Scrolls/commissions/gifts), so I know that they are going to make someone else very happy, and I like spreading joy through art. So the creation process makes me happy (particularly when it's done and the result looks better than the in-process piece ever does), and then giving it to someone and them being happy makes me happy. ? I create food because I can share the same thing through deliciousness. And I just like playing around with a variety of mediums. Sometimes I see a thing and wonder "Hrmm can I do that?" and I try it. 

My job is on the analytical side, so painting helps me unlock a different side of my personality, maintain some balance. 

Plus, it's fun. Turn a blank canvas into something to look at, to think about, to feel an emotion. 

Compliments from others doesn't hurt, either.

I enjoy creating for that feeling of turning blankness into something. I struggle with depression, and find creating something as a great coping mechanism. When i'm feeling incredibly empty, it helps to show physically that doing one small thing can actually lead to a useful and enganging product. 

I also like to challenge myself to learn new techniques. i'll make things and then donate them or wait for someone to compliment it and then gift it to them. I don't really need seven pairs of gloves or scarves or what not. I just like the process and learning. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/29/2019 at 7:45 AM, IdleCuriosity said:

I enjoy creating for that feeling of turning blankness into something. I struggle with depression, and find creating something as a great coping mechanism. When i'm feeling incredibly empty, it helps to show physically that doing one small thing can actually lead to a useful and enganging product. 

I also like to challenge myself to learn new techniques. i'll make things and then donate them or wait for someone to compliment it and then gift it to them. I don't really need seven pairs of gloves or scarves or what not. I just like the process and learning. 

I think creating satisfies something deep in the soul.

I’m just getting over a severe sinus infection. Ugh.

Through crafting I have learned a lot about my planning and creative process, what works best for me, and what I can expect from myself when it comes to 'initial visualization' versus final product and how much pre-planning I can do versus how much I need to let my brain improvise in order to come out with a final product that is complete and that I am pleased with. This is true for both my written creations and visual crafts. ?

I also have a huge number of friends who are involved in a variety of crafts (some that match mine, others that are different, but we appreciate each other's work). It describes the majority of my community, family, and friends. Everyone I spend time with creates and crafts in some way. 

I have also learned patience, found mental peace and relaxation, and had the opportunity to apply theoretical art knowledge and enjoy gaining the experience. ?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks! 

So, what creative projects does everyone have lined up so far for this year? 

My first goal is to complete the two scribal commissions that have been sitting on my plate for a while. The research is finally about complete, the texts are written. I'm down to putting ink to parchment and getting them done! 

I was gifted with multiple coloring books so I started on that. My thumb is bothering me but I’d like to take a knitting class at Joann’s. I need a tabletop easel for painting. I was also gifted some brushes, paints, and canvas.

• 1 month later...

Hello crafters! I finally have a craft! lol. I play a game called Warhammer 40K and I've recently begun painting miniatures. I've recently been watching a lot of videos on crafting terrain that I would like to dabble in. 

As for creative projects lined up, I would finally like to put together my Age of Sigmar Bloodborn of Khorne and start painting those. It was a gift from friends for my last bday almost an entire year ago. I had intention of having started them already but life has a way of getting in the way. 

Are there any modelers here or painters of small detail? I'd love to hear how you choose your brushes and care for them. I always seem to burn through them so quick. I've learned a few things about maintenance but I'm always looking to learn more. 

What has painting taught? There are color schemes and pallets EVERYWHERE. I find myself thinking in terms of layers and coloring, and shades, strengths and how can I recreate that. Also, that this calms me the hell down when I finally sit down and get to it. I put some Lo-Fi Hip Hop and just loose myself in it. Just sad it took me 40 years to pick something up. lol

On 2/29/2020 at 1:44 PM, Cross said:

i make miniatures. scenery mostly. havent delved into detailed painting of them yet though. what kind of paint do you use?

OOOOOOOO, if i ever do start to build terrain bits I may have to pick your head a bit. lol I typically use acrylic paints. Citadel and Army Painter only so far though I've been seeing a lot of Valejo paints in videos. I have a metallic gloss that I bought from Turbo Dork and I wasn't really a fan at all. Was hoping I could use it to make the oil slick appearance of a beetle's carapace but it just didn't work out. 

On 2/29/2020 at 5:47 PM, Ryrin said:

I need to hear more on these miniatures. How do you make them and what type of paint is used?

I’d like to paint gnomes.

I originally wanted to get into miniature painting to play D&D but that got waylaid. Instead I play a game called Warhammer 40K, Killteam. Warhmmer is a massive sprawling army vs army tabletop game using hundreds of models. That is ridiculous and crazy expensive I am never playing that. lol. Killteam is the same type of game only think smaller elite teams from those massive sprawling armies. 

The faction I play is known as Death Guard or Plague Marines. Soldiers that have fallen to the Plague Father Nurgle's siren song of his plague gardens. All you need to do to worship papa Nurgle is to cling to life at all costs no matter the amount of suffering. Nurgle is the representation of Life and Death and Renewal with a hard leaning towards pestilence and plague and rot and mutation. I have never played this game before nor had any clue what I was getting into. I just picked the box that looked coolest to me. lol

Right now, for color schemes, I tend to follow the Game Workshop lay out. Each box comes with a list of paints to achieve the look on the cover. I've not tried to come up with my own theme yet. I think I'll try and come up with an original one when I get the chance to buy more minis. They're flippin expensive though. lol.  I'll log in to DM from ym phone and share a pic of one of them that I've painted.