DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Brown Ajah History Week: Notable Events

Dar'Jen Ab Owain

• RP - LEGACY

Notable Events of the Late Middle Ages

Welcome all to the Notable Events of the Late Middle Ages Booth. It is here that we hope to enlighten and entertain you with various tidbits of those years of old. The Middle Ages were far from completely in the dark, and some rather fascinating events occurred. If only we had the news anchors of our era to provide the commentary of theses events.

Now, there are about 300 years of events to cover, and I cannot even attempt to cover a tenth of all that occurred. But what we will examine will be fascinating, I assure you.

(Ponders the vastness of the era.) Where to begin? That is certainly the question to ask. And perhaps you have a bit of knowledge you would care to share with us. Please, be our quest. We do so enjoy a good conversation.

But to begin with, let us consider The Tudors. Ah, now there is a family full of stories, and some scandal. Henry VIII ruled England from 1509-1547, and so much happened with the poor monarch simply trying to produce a male heir. He had how many wives? Oh yes, six.

Catherine of Aragon, the mother of Mary I. Their marriage was annulled and she died while under guard.

Anne Boleyn, the mother of Elizabeth I. Their marriage was annulled and then she was beheaded.

Jane Seymour, who died twelve days after giving birth to Edward VI

Anne of Cleves. Their marriage was annulled but she outlived the rest of the wives.

Catherine Howard was beheaded.

Catherine Parr was widowed at the death of Henry VIII.

So, let's have a bit of fun, shall we?

Here is a link to take you to the quiz: Which Tudor Monarch Are You? [url: http://www.historyrevealed.com/quiz/quiz-which-tudor-monarch-are-you] Which Tudor Monarch Are You? [/url]

(Scratches head) It says I was Edward VI. Not sure if I agree with that or not, but very interesting. So, who are you?

Do you find any similarities between the intrigues of The Tudors and any of the characters and plot twists in WoT, or other fantasy realms, for that matter? Edited by Dar'Jen Ab Owain

I used to get so mixed up by the wives of Henry the VIII until I was introduced to the rhyme

"Divorced, beheaded, died. Divorced, beheaded, survived."

And I got Henry the VIII on the quiz, so I'm taking applications for future husbands! If you're nice to me you can be one of the not-beheaded ones lol!

I also got Henry VI, and I supposed the only similarity I can point out is that I matured at a young age as well, although not a young as he did lol.

My favorite Tudor isn't directly a Tudor, but I've always had a fondness for Mary Queen of Scots (Mary Stuart or Mary I)

You are Henry VIII, the Tudor with the six wives. When you want something, you tend to get it, even if you upset people or end up regretting it later. Maybe you should try and make fewer rash decisions! But you like good food – as long as it’s meat – and you’re fun at a party. You’re sporty (or at least, you used to be), but you’re only happy if you win.

They say that like it's a bad thing. :unsure:

You are young Edward VI, the long-awaited male heir to Henry VIII who became King when he was nine. You’re very smart for your age (you know several languages and you love to write) and you’re not very sporty. If you’re not careful, you may miss out on something (like your childhood) so beware people telling you what to do!

You are young Edward VI, the long-awaited male heir to Henry VIII who became King when he was nine. You’re very smart for your age (you know several languages and you love to write) and you’re not very sporty. If you’re not careful, you may miss out on something (like your childhood) so beware people telling you what to do!

The irony is, my great-great-great-grandmother was Jane Seymour. A relative, I presume. Her son, Thomas William Seymour Le Maitre, was my great-great-grandfather.

You are young Edward VI, the long-awaited male heir to Henry VIII who became King when he was nine. You’re very smart for your age (you know several languages and you love to write) and you’re not very sporty. If you’re not careful, you may miss out on something (like your childhood) so beware people telling you what to do!

The irony is, my great-great-great-grandmother was Jane Seymour. A relative, I presume. Her son, Thomas William Seymour Le Maitre, was my great-great-grandfather.

Whaaaat? That's crazy! How did you find that out?

I am finding it interesting that we have so many Henry VIII among our numbers. But then, perhaps not.

He did know what he wanted and was willing to pursue it.

I definitely think it's because I like food as much as he did  :laugh:

No way! That's so cool!

Here, this is for you, then:

I tried six ways to Sunday to embed that using the embed link on YouTube, but I can't get it to work. :sad:

Wow, and then somehow it worked. :ohmy:

Edited by Gentled Ben

• RP - LEGACY

I like the connections you are finding between the Middle Ages and today.

Genealogy can be absolutely fascinating, and if you are lucky enough to trace your lineage further back than a few generations, I truly do applaud you. If you can manage to trace it back to the Middle Ages, please feel free to share something about your family during this period.

Feel free to continue to determine which Tudor you are.

But we shall continue to look at other Notable Events of the Middle Ages.

What discussion would be complete without at least mentioning... The Black Death.

The Black Death, peaking in Europe between 1346 and 1353, was one of the most devastating pandemics in human history, resulting in the deaths of an estimated 75 to 200 million people in Eurasia. Thought to have originated in Central Asia, and then travelling along the Silk Road, reaching Crimea by 1343. From there, it was likely carried by fleas living on the black rats that frequented merchant ships, spreading throughout the Mediterranean and Europe. The Black Death is estimated to have killed 30–60% of Europe's total population. European history was altered by the effects of various religious, social, and economic upheavals caused by the plague.

So, feel free to Find Out If You Could Survive The Black Death , and let us know if you did.

Going back to the last topic for a moment, I got Elizabeth I, I wish I'd known that rhyme as a kid, and ON TO THE BLACK DEATH.

YAY I LIVED. Apparently living in the country and being anti-social is a good thing XD 

Aiel, you are the first Elizabeth I that has posted on here. Interesting.

Glad to know some anti-social behavior can save your life, Aiel. Sorry you didn't survive, Ben.

I don't know that I wouldn't have. I can't really trace my ancestry back to the Middle Ages, but I know that I'm descended from a man named Lachlan MacGillivray who fled to America to escape the Highland Clearances after the second Jacobite Rebellion failed, and having researched the Macgillivrays a little bit, I know they came east to the highlands after being uprooted from the west coast by the McDonald's or some other strong clan, and they sought the protection of the Mackintosh family, leaders of Clan Chattan, because Clan Douglas kept beating on them and stealing their sheep. There is a record of them swearing fealty to the Mackintosh Chief in the late 1200's, so during the Black Death, at least some of my ancestors would have been herding sheep in the Scottish Highlands, so I tried to answer the questions accordingly, based upon what I know of them. Some of them must have survived, the important ones anyway, because here I am. :tongue:

You are Lady Jane Grey, the ‘nine-day Queen’. You’re beautiful, clever and kind but you’re not always good at picking who to trust – some people might try and take advantage of you. It’s easy for you to get swept along with things out of your control so you may need to learn how to say ‘no’. When the dust settles though – you’re still the one people like!

It was my great grandparents or great-great grandparents that came over. Don't know the story of why for any of them, unfortunately. Certainly can't trace back to the middle ages. Perhaps if I search this history and etymology of the last names that I know of for my family and the countries they came from...

You are Lady Jane Grey, the ‘nine-day Queen’. You’re beautiful, clever and kind but you’re not always good at picking who to trust – some people might try and take advantage of you. It’s easy for you to get swept along with things out of your control so you may need to learn how to say ‘no’. When the dust settles though – you’re still the one people like!

you're the first one to get that result Basel!

I did the Black Plague quiz and I survived it as I was never infected!

Seriously though Dar'Jen, cool quiz...it was actually so informative about how people dealt with the plague!

:laugh:

I got the same one

Random side question Cindy. As cute as "Bonded, Bound, Betrothed" is, hasn't the status of that last one been upgraded slightly? :P 

I hate how options were somewhat black and white. You either go to the doctor OR call the priest. Rub the cross necklace and pray OR wear the herb mask <.< I tended to choose on the doctor side just because that would get me the good result :P