The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

There is a lot of work for them to do.  The network has to select its production team, then the team has to generate artwork and concepts, scripts need to be written based off the books, casting, wardrobe, sets, props, not to mention finding producers to fund the filming.  It's a lot of work so while I am super excited, I also understand that there are other factors at work.  Also probably waiting for GOT to run down to draw its fan base who will be craving more fantasy.  And yes, I would expect more news at the next DragonCon or maybe a Comicon next year when the network that picked it up gives a green light for the cast and crew t begin talking a little about it.  Still, we are living in some exciting times, people!  

I just want to know which network has the rights. That alone will let me know where I can place my expectations. If it's picked up by MTV or CW I know that I will hate it. If NBC, ABC, or CBS grabs it then it will get canceled mid-season if it doesn't carry the ratings they want. However, if Showtime, Starz, or HBO picks it up then we'll know that it will have a good sized budget.

Best case it get's picked up by netflix, or showtime. This series is pure fantasy and beyond GoT the cool new thing the past few years is a mix of dystopian sci-fi (Hunger Games, Maze Runner, the 100, etc.). If it winds up on a network they're going to gut the series in order to make it more palatable for the masses; I can't see them going this way. The only shows that make it on network tv are bland shows like NCIS and Big Bang Theory. I don't want another Legend of the Seeker debacle, that show strayed so far from the source material that it was unrecognizable. Worst case this turns into something with poor production value like all the SyFy shows currently on the air. I really hope they get it right.

Guest xA7XJoeyx

It would not even be the same if tuon and the seanchean were gone. And the shaido after dumais wells... It would be like the eragon movie compared to the book. A terrible, blasphemous excuse for the greatest epic fantasy ever written...

Edited by xA7XJoeyx

I've wondered about the viability of a WoT series for years and I'm convinced it wouldn't work without gutting the plot completely. A lot happens, but not a lot happens that would be compelling visually. It's way too much to condense while staying true to the source and being even remotely watchable with any sort of marketing appeal. Especially with how slow a start the series gets off to and regularly sinks back into.

• 2 weeks later...

I registered an account just so I could make a comment on this thread.

I spoke with Mr. Sanderson personally at ComiCon in Phoenix in June.  I asked him about the series, and when we would hear news, etc, and if he was involved in any way.  This was a few months ago, so I'm paraphrasing from my memory, but this is what he said:

1.  Things are probably not as far along in development and pre-production as most fans would imagine.  He was doubtful more info would be revealed until an agreed upon/workable script was completed for the first season, and more of the people involved in the production agreed to (directors, producers, etc).

2.  Mr. Sanderson is not in any way involved with the production or writing of the TV show.  He stated he had not yet been asked, but did not want to be overly involved even if asked.  He expressed a desire to read over the script(s) and story arcs, and would like to be a consultant and maybe give some feedback on editing, but did not want it to be a large time commitment from him.

It didn't sound like casting had even been considered yet at that point, nor location scouting, or any of those sorts of things.  To me, it sounded like they were still in the writing phases, did not yet have all the folks hired who would actually be involved in making the show, and were probably a couple of years away at earliest for any airing of the show.  I got the impression that it would be at least another year or so before they really did a lot of casting and were prepared to start shooting.  

He couldn't tell me about the studio or any of the folks involved, or anything about the legal issues that were settled.  It did seem like he has a warm relationship with Harriet.  

I registered an account just so I could make a comment on this thread.

I spoke with Mr. Sanderson personally at ComiCon in Phoenix in June.  I asked him about the series, and when we would hear news, etc, and if he was involved in any way.  This was a few months ago, so I'm paraphrasing from my memory, but this is what he said:

1.  Things are probably not as far along in development and pre-production as most fans would imagine.  He was doubtful more info would be revealed until an agreed upon/workable script was completed for the first season, and more of the people involved in the production agreed to (directors, producers, etc).

2.  Mr. Sanderson is not in any way involved with the production or writing of the TV show.  He stated he had not yet been asked, but did not want to be overly involved even if asked.  He expressed a desire to read over the script(s) and story arcs, and would like to be a consultant and maybe give some feedback on editing, but did not want it to be a large time commitment from him.

It didn't sound like casting had even been considered yet at that point, nor location scouting, or any of those sorts of things.  To me, it sounded like they were still in the writing phases, did not yet have all the folks hired who would actually be involved in making the show, and were probably a couple of years away at earliest for any airing of the show.  I got the impression that it would be at least another year or so before they really did a lot of casting and were prepared to start shooting.  

He couldn't tell me about the studio or any of the folks involved, or anything about the legal issues that were settled.  It did seem like he has a warm relationship with Harriet.  

I wish the announcement was simply that they had required the rights back then. As opposed to their announcement of WoT being this huge cutting edge TV show, which makes it sound like they are much further along than what you just mentioned. Though considering the long break since that announcement I kind of assumed as much. Right now I just wish we knew which station it will likely air on.

Thanks for the update, by the way!!

EDIT: I went back and reread the announcement. Funny because I remember it being a much longer announcement than basically just the size of a tweet. Lol! However, they did mention this: " Look for the official announcement coming soon from a major studio". So they must have gotten tied up somewhere since we are going on 5 months since that announcement.

Edited by Occams whiskey bottle

Yup, the only thing that's happened is that a TV studio has picked up the option. They certainly won't be anywhere near set-building, casting or actual physical production. Why they are now is probably getting a pilot script put together and they'll then look at that and whether they want to exercise the option as a pilot or a full season order.

In terms of announcement, that has to come I believe before pre-production starts (to allow people in the industry to put in job applicatons and so on), but exactly where is up to the studio. The studio could have announced the project months ago, but this delay suggest they want a meatier announcement with more information on the writer and producers. That could come pretty much at any time now.

• 2 weeks later...

I appreciate the update, but you would think if a network was going anywhere with it, stuff would leak out about their research, hiring writers, etc.  I think whoever owns the rights is still trying to decide what to do with them, and also waiting for Got to wind down as was said above.  If it were HBO, it would make a lot of sense for them to keep mum and also could explain why  theyve made pronouncements about when that series will end.

I appreciate the update, but you would think if a network was going anywhere with it, stuff would leak out about their research, hiring writers, etc.  I think whoever owns the rights is still trying to decide what to do with them, and also waiting for Got to wind down as was said above.  If it were HBO, it would make a lot of sense for them to keep mum and also could explain why  theyve made pronouncements about when that series will end.

This would make sense to me.  HBO will need something to replace GOT.  I could see them doing each book, but clearly some books could be combined. 

This would make sense to me.  HBO will need something to replace GOT.  I could see them doing each book, but clearly some books could be combined. 

Most likely the show they are hoping to replace GoT is Westworld which starts next month.

I believe those with knowledge of the deal have confirmed that HBO is not the studio involved, and have showed zero interest in any other fantasy property as long as GoT is ongoing. And yes, Westworld is very much the show they are (foolishly, IMO) pinning their hopes on to repeat GoT's success.

The same sources have indicated that the WoT deal was for over $10 million, which is substantial for a book-to-TV deal. To my mind, the only companies realistically in the running to spend that money are Starz, AMC, Showtime, Netflix or Amazon. And I strongly suspect it's the Sony TV deal that was under negotiation before the Winter Dragon/Red Eagle situation blew up.

I believe those with knowledge of the deal have confirmed that HBO is not the studio involved, and have showed zero interest in any other fantasy property as long as GoT is ongoing. And yes, Westworld is very much the show they are (foolishly, IMO) pinning their hopes on to repeat GoT's success.

The same sources have indicated that the WoT deal was for over $10 million, which is substantial for a book-to-TV deal. To my mind, the only companies realistically in the running to spend that money are Starz, AMC, Showtime, Netflix or Amazon. And I strongly suspect it's the Sony TV deal that was under negotiation before the Winter Dragon/Red Eagle situation blew up.

Interesting. Stars already has Outlander and Black Sails, so they probably aren't looking for something large and epic at the time. AMC already has 2 Walking Dead shows and the Preacher, so they likely aren't in the running either. Netflix is going to have 4 or 5 series in the Marvel MCU, so they will likely use their resources to attract a different demographic since WoT isn't going to attract many other people that the MCU hasn't already attracts. With the list you have provided I think the likely home for Wheel of Time will be either Amazon or Showtime. 

I think Amazon would be the canny choice. They've been selling WoT books for 20 years, millions of them, so they know how big the fanbase is. They're also still looking for a killer show that will make people tune in: Man in the High Castle and a couple of their other shows are excellent (and The Tick looks like it could be great) but they haven't got a "killer app" yet and WoT could fill that gap quite nicely. Amazon also have serious financial firepower they can put into the show and would be more likely to fund the longer seasons (16 episodes each minimum, with each season covering two novels) that will be required to do the story justice.

Showtime have been looking for a new big hit for a while now, but my concern with them is that they don't have as much financial muscle as some of the other options. You can't do WoT on the cheap.

Hello friends! Can't believe its taken me this long to join this forum, but now seems like a good time. When I first saw the news about Harriet's announcement, I couldn't contain my excitement, I actually dropped the F bomb on my mother. Well, it was more like an F rainbow more profound than the Amrylin's stole, but yeah, she didn't care cause she was hyped too when I broke the news. Anyway, I hope, hope, hope Netflix is the "major studio", and for the love of the Light, please employ a better casting director than the creator of the IMDB "HBO cast" that is currently posted. There are some absolute terrible suggestions on that page, from a supposed fan of the book...Ramsy from GoT as Perrin? Really? Enough said, anyway, can't wait for this "studio" to reveal itself, exciting times indeed!

Edited by TaiShar337

Somewhat of an update from the Robert Jordan Wheel of Time Google+ page:

photo.jpg

+Christopher W Sorry, folks, we would love to be able to tell you more about the announcement Harriet made in April, but according to the terms of the contract, we can't say anything more about it. We assume the next statement will come from the studio. We share your frustration.

Hello all

First post - new to the forum but have been reading and re-reading the WoT series since I was first introduced to it in 1993.

I admit I haven't trawled through every post here, but I have skim read through...yet no one seems to have picked up the fact that if it is true then:

iMdB have the Cast Listing for the Wheel of Time series! 

http://www.imdb.com/list/ls074590729/

It has apparently been picked up by HBO.  Not sure who this Madeleine Swann is who has submitted the 84 actors and actresses who are playing the various characters.

In scrolling through, there were some fantastic selections, and some rather not so good ones.  Again, assuming that this really is the cast, then probably the best cast actor I have seen is that of Clive Standen for Lan (okay, maybe not ugly, but given his role in Vikings he has the height and sword fighting skills to pull this off nicely).

I was disappointed with the choice for the main six characters though - never heard of Jamie Campbell Bower but his photo on imdb makes him look far too effeminate for playing Rand.  I suspect that all three actors playing Rand, Mat and Perrin will inevitably resort to taking steroids a la Chris Evans in Captain America (if you don't believe that, look at his physique in the Fabulous Four compared to Captain America).

I didn't think Oonah Chaplin looks attractive enough to play Nynaeve, either.  And Lindsay Duncan playing Morgase?  Morgase is meant to be stunning!

Yes, I do realise that there will be loads of make up artistry to transform some of these actors into our well beloved (and hated) characters.  But some actors you can just see will "fit" perfectly - eg one look at Ian Whyte's photo and you can see how easily he will transform into Loial.  As for Stephanie Blacker (Amys) - she will have to tan up a fair bit to pass for an Aiel, and doesn't Birgitte Hjort Sorensen look a bit young to play Bair - I thought Bair older than that??  For that matter, given her name is already Birgitte they could have had her playing the character of the same name.

So what do you all think?