DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

The Wheel of Time Will Be Adapted as a TV Series

szilard

Wikipedia says that WD's running time is 42–67 minutes. That's a pretty big difference between episodes. Do you think that it is the way how WOT should be made?

The reason for the different running times is due to the lower episode count per season. This allows for more high dollar commercials to be run during the show. 

• Replies 608
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I do. In my opinion it allows the story to be the focus rather than the time. It allows the extra detail and character development to happen when necessary.  Heck even the episode count per season should be adjusted to tell the story the right way.

But earlier you have said that "Think of it as two eight episode seasons per year", so would S1 is only 6 episodes but S2 is 11 ep., S3 is 8 ep. be acceptable to you? 

Yes, so long as the goal is to tell the story rather than sell commercials. I.E... If they drag things out for the sake of it that's not good. This is where I look at GoT. They've shortened the seasons from 10 to 7 because that's the number of episodes needed to finish their story.

The reason for the different running times is due to the lower episode count per season. This allows for more high dollar commercials to be run during the show. 

And what about GOT? (50–69 minutes)

Game Of Thrones makes money the same way most HBO shows do, the subscription fee for the channel, and the sales of DVD's and other licensed merchandise for the show. HBO get a large chunk of revenue from things sold that are taken from the show as apposed to things based solely on the books.

Shows like say The Flash or Walking Dead have to make their revenue streams from ads sold during the show. Ads that run on a episodes 1st airing are worth more than a re-run by about 30% and episodes that are re-run that are more than a season old drop a further 15% in ad revenue as the ad time becomes cheaper. 

If, and it's a big if, The Wheel Of Time, ends up on a broadcast network, like ABC,CBS, NBC, Fox, or The CW, the shows production values for the first couple of seasons are going to look mediocre at best. If Showtime, HBO, Netflix, or Starz say pick it up we are going to see something completely different as the budgets will be much larger. 

I'm not sure how old you are, but back in the 80's when there were basically only the 3 major networks before cable became a thing, shows were re-run all the time. I can remember seeing episodes of shows re-run that were older than I was. Mostly because most tv shows didn't have a linear story structure per season. Today many many shows are structured in such a way that if you have missed a couple of episodes its easy to become lost as the plot gets away from you. As such most shows don't re-run much because seasons need to be aired in a story order, for viewers to know whats going on and to keep interest in the property. Not all shows mind, but many. 

We can thank Babylon 5 for that. It was I believe the first full series to be run that was intended to be a tele-novel. Each episode acted like a page from a chapter each season a chapter from a book. If you missed 4 or 5 episodes it was very easy to become lost, which is why most people seem to want to avoid the series in my experience because they feel they can't just jump in and catch up. But in this day and age of netflix binging it's easy to watch shows like B5 and not be lost. 

Edited by Darth_Andrea

If Wheel of Time finds itself on a network that depends on commercial revenue during the broadcast then there will be a high chance that the series will suck. Just saying that this show is going to be expensive and will take a network like HBO, Netflix, or Amazon to do it justice.

I'm really worried that they will say something like that: "We are so happy! CW [as a big fan of Veronica Mars (S1, S2) I know about that channel, but when you see the list of their shows - courtesy of bing.com -: Supergirl, The Flash, Jane The Virgin, iZombie, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries etc it is clearly that they don't care about quality - even my curious wife will not watch an epi from these shows] is the perfect place for this series, and the budget will be sky high, yes, 15 million dollars could give the fans the real experience!"

And many months later we still don't know anything about anything. Pathetic.

Yes, so long as the goal is to tell the story rather than sell commercials. I.E... If they drag things out for the sake of it that's not good. This is where I look at GoT. They've shortened the seasons from 10 to 7 because that's the number of episodes needed to finish their story.

Seeing their numbers I think they've reached the ceiling, the actors demands too much money etc.

My wife is currently watching Tom Ellis (I mean Lucifer), Elementary, Blindspot, and Homeland.

While she knows that they will make the series as long as they making money, she does not like that there are so many empty episodes (they say filler is at least good, as opposite empty epis), and it looks like she will give up Blindspot because they put Jaimie Alexander  into the background. And if they will not give a big part to Rupert Friend, then she will say goodbye to Homeland too.

I haven't find any series worth watching in the last four years.

Mostly because most tv shows didn't have a linear story structure per season. Today many many shows are structured in such a way that if you have missed a couple of episodes its easy to become lost as the plot gets away from you. As such most shows don't re-run much because seasons need to be aired in a story order, for viewers to know whats going on and to keep interest in the property. Not all shows mind, but many. 

As far as I know, viewers like 'case of the week' structure more than the long -you have to look it up on Wiki- storylines. Which is a big problem for us. Plus, we cannot base on the 'degenerates' as GOT does, because WOT sees/treats its characters in a whole different way.

HBO, Netflix use (very) short seasons, so it is easily to catch up.

OK if u cut all this stuff, what will the show actually be about?

:laugh:

I have to wonder if Red Eagle Entertainment is still involved somehow because this seems like an oddly long wait after Team Jordans announcement.

It was just a prank. Or the last weapon against REE.

You know, I can accept that they will/can not tell us everything, but at least give us some clear informations.

If Wheel of Time finds itself on a network that depends on commercial revenue during the broadcast then there will be a high chance that the series will suck. Just saying that this show is going to be expensive and will take a network like HBO, Netflix, or Amazon to do it justice.

I'm really worried that they will say something like that: "We are so happy! CW [as a big fan of Veronica Mars (S1, S2) I know about that channel, but when you see the list of their shows - courtesy of bing.com -: Supergirl, The Flash, Jane The Virgin, iZombie, Arrow, The Vampire Diaries etc it is clearly that they don't care about quality - even my curious wife will not watch an epi from these shows] is the perfect place for this series, and the budget will be sky high, yes, 15 million dollars could give the fans the real experience!"

And many months later we still don't know anything about anything. Pathetic.

Seeing their numbers I think they've reached the ceiling, the actors demands too much money etc.

My wife is currently watching Tom Ellis (I mean Lucifer), Elementary, Blindspot, and Homeland.

While she knows that they will make the series as long as they making money, she does not like that there are so many empty episodes (they say filler is at least good, as opposite empty epis), and it looks like she will give up Blindspot because they put Jaimie Alexander  into the background. And if they will not give a big part to Rupert Friend, then she will say goodbye to Homeland too.

I haven't find any series worth watching in the last four years.

Mostly because most tv shows didn't have a linear story structure per season. Today many many shows are structured in such a way that if you have missed a couple of episodes its easy to become lost as the plot gets away from you. As such most shows don't re-run much because seasons need to be aired in a story order, for viewers to know whats going on and to keep interest in the property. Not all shows mind, but many. 

As far as I know, viewers like 'case of the week' structure more than the long -you have to look it up on Wiki- storylines. Which is a big problem for us. Plus, we cannot base on the 'degenerates' as GOT does, because WOT sees/treats its characters in a whole different way.

HBO, Netflix use (very) short seasons, so it is easily to catch up.

OK if u cut all this stuff, what will the show actually be about?

:laugh:

Wow... lots to respond to here and some of this will be Off Topic, so sorry in advance.

First, regarding the show. I think either Harriet or someone involved with the property responded somewhere along the lines and said that the news/cat got out of the bag way early. They said it was happening, just that news broke about it much earlier in the process than normal. 

Second, in regards to serial shows vs "case of the week" type shows a lot of that depends on the network and whether they want the show to go into syndication or not. For a show to be eligible for syndication, one of the requirements is "case of the week". While an overarching story can be told, each episode has to have it's own story & conclusion. If you recall a few years back with Legend of the Seeker, the network that made it was hoping that it was popular enough to have the rerun legs like Xena and Hercules did. 

Serial shows on the big networks are much more rare. They are somewhat new (on ABC/NBC/CBS) and didn't really become a thing until Lost... but Lost is not syndicated despite it's popularity due to it's serial nature.

Third, as for new shows... if you don't have Netflix you really are missing out on some great shows that they produce. Stranger Things is amazing. All of the Marvel shows are really good (I prefer them to the MCU movies). Marco Polo, House of Cards, also great stuff. Give them a try if you haven't already.

I have to wonder if Red Eagle Entertainment is still involved somehow because this seems like an oddly long wait after Team Jordans announcement.

I strongly suspect that an agreement was reached where Red Eagle could possibly remain "producers in name only" (with a small slice of any profits made) but with no active involvement in the project, done just to get them to drop the legal action and holding everything up for years. That's pretty common in Hollywood.

We can probably pretty much rule out Starz as the channel it will air on. Lionsgate bought them in June and they are pushing ahead with movies and a tv show spinoff of Rothfuss' King Killer Cronicles.

So if we count out HBO as well, that leaves AMC, Fox, CW, Amazon and Netflix as channels.

I think that you can probably cross off Netflix as well. They still might be the home for it, but they've invested pretty heavily into the MArvel universe. Of course, it's also possible that WoT was purchased by Disney and Marvel Studios. I think of the stations listed above I think Amazon and FX are most likely while the CW is least likely. Honestly, I think so low of CW that if that's where WoT lands I may not even watch it because it'll just be a campy version of Hercules.

We can probably pretty much rule out Starz as the channel it will air on. Lionsgate bought them in June and they are pushing ahead with movies and a tv show spinoff of Rothfuss' King Killer Cronicles.

So if we count out HBO as well, that leaves AMC, Fox, CW, Amazon and Netflix as channels.

I think that you can probably cross off Netflix as well. They still might be the home for it, but they've invested pretty heavily into the MArvel universe. Of course, it's also possible that WoT was purchased by Disney and Marvel Studios. I think of the stations listed above I think Amazon and FX are most likely while the CW is least likely. Honestly, I think so low of CW that if that's where WoT lands I may not even watch it because it'll just be a campy version of Hercules.

CW could do a fun, lightweight version of WoT: The 100 is a decent show that doesn't hold back on ruthlessness, character deaths or difficult storylines. But it is very much an exception and you'd lose the opportunity to do a decent version of WoT elsewhere.

Based on the negotiations that were underway with Sony, my guess would be that Sony has bought the rights and would be discussing the project with AMC (their partner on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul). Amazon I think would be very interested as they likely want a tentpole fantasy series. Amazon have also had a massive upheaval in the way their shows are bought and operate recently, which has put a lot of projects on hold, which would also go some way to explaining the long delay since there was any news.

Edited by Werthead

Wow... lots to respond to here and some of this will be Off Topic, so sorry in advance.

First, regarding the show. I think either Harriet or someone involved with the property responded somewhere along the lines and said that the news/cat got out of the bag way early. They said it was happening, just that news broke about it much earlier in the process than normal. 

Second, in regards to serial shows vs "case of the week" type shows a lot of that depends on the network and whether they want the show to go into syndication or not. For a show to be eligible for syndication, one of the requirements is "case of the week". While an overarching story can be told, each episode has to have it's own story & conclusion. If you recall a few years back with Legend of the Seeker, the network that made it was hoping that it was popular enough to have the rerun legs like Xena and Hercules did. 

Serial shows on the big networks are much more rare. They are somewhat new (on ABC/NBC/CBS) and didn't really become a thing until Lost... but Lost is not syndicated despite it's popularity due to it's serial nature.

Third, as for new shows... if you don't have Netflix you really are missing out on some great shows that they produce. Stranger Things is amazing. All of the Marvel shows are really good (I prefer them to the MCU movies). Marco Polo, House of Cards, also great stuff. Give them a try if you haven't already.

1. Harriet's role in WOT was simple: according to RJ she was a beta reader (NOT an editor) Does she hold the rights ot the estate I don't know, but:

January 16, 2007 | 06:28PM PT Cabler acquires rights to Martin's 'Ice'  HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin’s bestselling fantasy series “A Song of Fire & Ice” into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

August 12, 2008 | 09:00PM PT Studio nabs film rights to Robert Jordan book  Universal Pictures has acquired film rights to the late Robert Jordan’s bestselling “The Wheel of Time” novel series in a seven-figure deal.

Harriet, if you read this topic: this is not rocket science. Someone buys it, you publish the deal. All these 'we develop the series/films on the quiet' is baloney.

2. I think, this big 'secrecy' is just dropping dust into our eyes, nothing more.

3. :smile: Thank you for your recommendations, but after watching a few minutes from these shows, I turn them off. I cannot connect to the characters at all. I try, I really try to find new series in every year, but this is happening with the movies too.

My 'toplist' for 2016: The Confirmation, *a very long pause* the first minutes from Pete's Dragon, a few moments from Moana, the POV killing sequence from London Has Fallen, the trailer of Criminal, and Toby Jones from The Man Who Knew Infinity.

And even the Confirmation is not a good film. Yes, my bar is quite high. :wacko:

Disney basically suffocates the whole industry, so I really don't understand that why Sony and Universal do not cooperate, and why don't they make a 'reduced' WOT film series = focusing only Rand and action.

1. Harriet's role in WOT was simple: according to RJ she was a beta reader (NOT an editor) Does she hold the rights ot the estate I don't know, but:

January 16, 2007 | 06:28PM PT Cabler acquires rights to Martin's 'Ice'  HBO has acquired the rights to turn George R.R. Martin’s bestselling fantasy series “A Song of Fire & Ice” into a dramatic series to be written and exec produced by David Benioff and D.B. Weiss.

August 12, 2008 | 09:00PM PT Studio nabs film rights to Robert Jordan book  Universal Pictures has acquired film rights to the late Robert Jordan’s bestselling “The Wheel of Time” novel series in a seven-figure deal.

Harriet, if you read this topic: this is not rocket science. Someone buys it, you publish the deal. All these 'we develop the series/films on the quiet' is baloney.

2. I think, this big 'secrecy' is just dropping dust into our eyes, nothing more.

3. :smile: Thank you for your recommendations, but after watching a few minutes from these shows, I turn them off. I cannot connect to the characters at all. I try, I really try to find new series in every year, but this is happening with the movies too.

My 'toplist' for 2016: The Confirmation, *a very long pause* the first minutes from Pete's Dragon, a few moments from Moana, the POV killing sequence from London Has Fallen, the trailer of Criminal, and Toby Jones from The Man Who Knew Infinity.

And even the Confirmation is not a good film. Yes, my bar is quite high. :wacko:

Disney basically suffocates the whole industry, so I really don't understand that why Sony and Universal do not cooperate, and why don't they make a 'reduced' WOT film series = focusing only Rand and action.

My point with what I said about Harriet is that when projects get announced they are usually farther along... and definitely farther along before they should be considered a real thing. It's a lesson I learned after everyone mistook the Cloverfield trailer as Voltron. Only to do some research and find out that a voltron movie has been go / no-go for over 10 years now with no script, actors, or directors finalized. Same goes for the Halo movie and the Uncharted movie. They get announced when someone buys the rights, then everyone get's frustrated due to length and difficulty of a project getting off the ground (if it ever does).

CW could do a fun, lightweight version of WoT: The 100 is a decent show that doesn't hold back on ruthlessness, character deaths or difficult storylines. But it is very much an exception and you'd lose the opportunity to do a decent version of WoT elsewhere.

Based on the negotiations that were underway with Sony, my guess would be that Sony has bought the rights and would be discussing the project with AMC (their partner on Breaking Bad and Better Call Saul). Amazon I think would be very interested as they likely want a tentpole fantasy series. Amazon have also had a massive upheaval in the way their shows are bought and operate recently, which has put a lot of projects on hold, which would also go some way to explaining the long delay since there was any news.

There is the possibility that the deal was with Sony Starz and lionsgate taking over Starz just a month after Harriet's announcement put a hold on anything being announced and lionsgate then decided to shelve WoT in favour of there Kingkiller project.

There is the possibility that the deal was with Sony Starz and lionsgate taking over Starz just a month after Harriet's announcement put a hold on anything being announced and lionsgate then decided to shelve WoT in favour of there Kingkiller project.

If this is the case we can pretty much say goodbye to any chance of a WoT adaptation ever happening. The tv fantasy high will be well over by the time (10+ years) anything might happen with the rights and the books themselves will be too old/not current enough and all fans will have moved on. It would be a depressing end well fitting the curse-like bad luck this series has had regarding adaptations. Really hoping Starz didn't buy the rights.

As far as I see it WoT has a really short window to get on the air in order to be successful. It pretty much closes one year after GoT ends (barring some other fantasy tv show of similar popularity coming and keeping the flame alive). Once the GoT crowd stops longing for something new and moves on it's over.

If this is the case we can pretty much say goodbye to any chance of a WoT adaptation ever happening. The tv fantasy high will be well over by the time (10+ years) anything might happen with the rights and the books themselves will be too old/not current enough and all fans will have moved on. It would be a depressing end well fitting the curse-like bad luck this series has had regarding adaptations. Really hoping Starz didn't buy the rights.

As far as I see it WoT has a really short window to get on the air in order to be successful. It pretty much closes one year after GoT ends (barring some other fantasy tv show of similar popularity coming and keeping the flame alive). Once the GoT crowd stops longing for something new and moves on it's over.

Wheel of Time will likely arrive as a last gasp for high fantasy shows unless something happens beforehand. Which is very unfortunate. The series could make for an unbelievable show not to mention you could take the entire world and create many new and unique 'Final Fantasy' types of games that cover different characters and periods. 

Wheel of Time will likely arrive as a last gasp for high fantasy shows unless something happens beforehand. Which is very unfortunate. The series could make for an unbelievable show not to mention you could take the entire world and create many new and unique 'Final Fantasy' types of games that cover different characters and periods. 

I am actually starting to lean more and more towards wishing for an animated series. There would be far fewer moving parts and quicker to get into production and a greater likelihood that it would actually be finished.

I am actually starting to lean more and more towards wishing for an animated series. There would be far fewer moving parts and quicker to get into production and a greater likelihood that it would actually be finished.

I would take pretty much anything of quality at this point. 

With the extended silence regarding any production after what I have to assume was strictly a settlement with red eagle over the rights I'm reminded more and more of the many decades that the rights to the lord of the rings were bought and sold and resold and made with false starts and sold again and sat on shelves until peter Jackson finally made a respectable movie version of all three books.

I suspect we're going to see something like that here, and that the rights, if they were optioned, are on the shelf for the forseeable future.

It's either going to be badly done and brief at this point, or it's going to have to wait for someone with the vision and talent and the right circumstances to translate many books into a brief enough series that the actors don't age out of their parts while it's ongoing, assuming it's not simply cancelled. Or someone who can do a decent animation that wouldn't depend on the actors looking 20ish for the length of production.

I think if anyone had any plans for the near future they'd be publicizing it and trying to sell more books and tease the fan base and interest people outside that base and that's not happening.

Edited by Mrs. Cindy Gill

Harriet was working for Tom Doherty as an editor until she decided to go back to Charleston. When he founded Tor Books, he got her to agree to continue working for him as a freelancer. In that capacity she edited quite a few early Tor books, most famously Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card and the first few Black Company books by Glen Cook. After Robert Jordan (whom Harriet married in 1981) started working on Wheel of Time she gradually moved from editing other work to working on WoT exclusively from the early 1990s onwards.

But Harriet absolutely worked on every single WoT book as a professional editor. She also did beta readings of the material in progress and came up with about half of the chapter titles in the series, as well as coming up with ideas for the chapter icons. She also did some work on the appendix for each book, and coallating some of RJ's notes.

As Robert Jordan's widow and his partner in the Bandersnatch Group, Harriet also pretty much is the Jordan Estate.

Someone buys it, you publish the deal. All these 'we develop the series/films on the quiet' is baloney.

Not entirely. Companies buy the rights and then keep quiet about it all the time. The GoT deal was done-in-principle in January 2006, so it was a year before it was formally announced. If there are multiple parties involved and one party decides to suddenly hold things up, the other parties cannot proceed without them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lingering legal issues from the Red Eagle fiasco.

I will not retype my whole post again.

My thoughts exactly.

With the extended silence regarding any production after what I have to assume was strictly a settlement with red eagle over the rights I'm reminded more and more of the many decades that the rights to the lord of the rings were bought and sold and resold and made with false starts and sold again and sat on shelves until peter Jackson finally made a respectable movie version of all three books.

I suspect we're going to see something like that here, and that the rights, if they were optioned, are on the shelf for the forseeable future.

I think if anyone had any plans for the near future they'd be publicizing it and trying to sell more books and tease the fan base and interest people outside that base and that's not happening.

I have max. 30 years to live (it's rather 20-25), so if they will postpone the whole project, then they will lose a viewer too.

bolded: since October the sales are doubled in the UK, and in the US we are seeing a miracle right now: strog sales in Oct, very strong sales in Nov, and extraordinary sales in Dec. 

But Harriet absolutely worked on every single WoT book as a professional editor. She also did beta readings of the material in progress and came up with about half of the chapter titles in the series, as well as coming up with ideas for the chapter icons. She also did some work on the appendix for each book, and coallating some of RJ's notes.

As Robert Jordan's widow and his partner in the Bandersnatch Group, Harriet also pretty much is the Jordan Estate.

1. We have different interpretations on what does it mean being an editor (there are many types, ofc), and from what Jordan told us, she was not.

2. I did not see/read Jordan's will that's why I'm guessing.

Not entirely. Companies buy the rights and then keep quiet about it all the time. The GoT deal was done-in-principle in January 2006, so it was a year before it was formally announced. If there are multiple parties involved and one party decides to suddenly hold things up, the other parties cannot proceed without them. I wouldn't be surprised if there was lingering legal issues from the Red Eagle fiasco.

I don't know. I usually see 'deal + announcement' then we get more and more info.

But what I find really interesting that Universal bought the film rights, but they'd filmed an 'unknown' novel from OSC Delaney:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TXiNkOjM7oM

I do not remember the film at all, but I could sleep easily with a similar production look.

These days it's all about the franchises, so they could make an action packed series for the built-in audience.

Edited by szilard