DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Had Robert Jordan lived what stories within the WoT universe would you had liked to read?

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Definitely the fall of Manetheren, probably from a regular soldier's point of view. Maybe one of the people who Mat has memories of would be interesting

...or if he has some of Mat's memories. Especially since it's both in the future and the past.

Yeah its sort of  sad, but probably a good thing Team Jordan won't open the WOT universe for authors to make stories for like Star Wars did.

Agreed, but Jordan created such a rich world that there are so many stories that we'll never read which is sad when you consider that we may never read about them.

Aside from the books that we know were planned, I think a novel taking place during the Age of Legends would be great. I would love to read about LTT and the Forsaken and the events during that era. Perhaps have it start with the opening of the bore and end with the sealing of the DO's prison, though that likely would be far too much material for one novel.

I just got bummed out reading this thread, realizing we'd probably be reading Infinity of Heaven Book One right around now if he'd lived :( 

I'm honestly not sure that series would have ever got written, or at least not until very late in his life. TWoT is/was a huge cash cow. After completing the main sequence (who knows how many books it would have taken him despite saying book 12 would be the end), I'm sure he would have gone straight into the other prequels and the Mat trilogy.

I just got bummed out reading this thread, realizing we'd probably be reading Infinity of Heaven Book One right around now if he'd lived :( 

I'm honestly not sure that series would have ever got written, or at least not until very late in his life. TWoT is/was a huge cash cow. After completing the main sequence (who knows how many books it would have taken him despite saying book 12 would be the end), I'm sure he would have gone straight into the other prequels and the Mat trilogy.

RJ's next series would have debuted #1 on the NY Times Bestseller List guaranteed. Suggesting otherwise is a fools errand. Besides he had already sold the series to Tor:

ROBERT JORDAN sold the first three books in his new Infinity of Heaven series, "high fantasy with a touch of Shogun," to Tom Doherty at Tor.

(...)

"My editor says it will be people's chance to see a society like the Seanchan Empire , but that is simply because most of the action will take place in a culture much like Seanchan. The main male character, who is shipwrecked there, comes from a place that might be considered a cross between Elizabethan England and the Italian city-states of the Renaissance with touches of the seventeenth century. I intend him to be a man in his thirties, a man of some experience and worldliness in his own culture (though this does him only occasional good where he finds himself), in contrast to Rand's innocence and naiveté. The major female character is a noblewoman of the land where he is shipwrecked; by the law, whatever is cast up on the shores of her estates belongs to her: the ship, its cargo -- its crew. Of course, a good many details will surely change between now and the commencement of writing (they always do), but that is the general form." Infinity of Heaven will have one culture that is "much more readily apparent as being 17th, early 18th century at technological level, cultural levels. I dislike the view of the world of the Wheel of Time as medieval."

(...)

Jordan mentioned several times that he planned another fantasy series, titled Infinity of Heaven, set in a different kind of world. He said that it would be a Shōgun-esque series about a man in his 30s who is shipwrecked in an unknown culture, which would be similar to Seanchan culture in his Wheel of Time series[16] and world. The books would detail his adventures there.[17]

He said that he would have begun writing these after finishing his work on the 12th and final main sequence book of The Wheel of Time. Jordan said, "Infinity of Heaven almost certainly will be written before the prequels, though I might do them between the Infinity books." Also according to Dragonmount.com, Jordan planned to write some side-story novels, before completely abandoning his decades-long work. Jordan had particularly stressed that this series would be significantly shorter than The Wheel of Time saga (about six books long and essentially two trilogies)

I don't know about anyone else, but it's depressing reading this, and knowing that we won't know anything more about it...

Wheel of Time was supposed to be a trilogy too, so I highly doubt infinity of heaven would have been either. I also highly doubt it would have seen the light of day.

He had already sold the story to Tor. A projected 6 book series. He was also planning on writing that after Memory of Light. Don't know why you don't think he would've written it had he lived. All the evidence suggests otherwise...

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Guest JafarNarishma

I'd have loved to see LTT's complete memoirs (with an Age of Legends map included so we could make sense of the geography.) Also a series of novels detailing the Start of Darkness of each of the Forsaken. Especially Graendal - apparently she was a dedicated, hard-working psychotherapist, then one morning she opens her holotablet and reads the headline "DISASTER AT COLLAM DAAN - THOUSANDS FEARED DEAD!" and then . . . ??

• 5 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

ANything like a movie etc would have to be from material already made.  I would be shocked if anything beyond what was in the books ever came out. 

Granted I'm getting way ahead of the curb here, but what I basically mean is if the main WoT storyline is as big a success as Game of Thrones I could definitely see them green lighting the prequel or the Mat/Tuon outrigger.

Now if they did a WoT RPG then I would hope that they would tell a completely original story instead of rehashing the same storyline.

1) I'd have loved to have seen a brief description of each of the 7 ages and what started/ended them.

2) More explanation on how the 'finns are able to do what they do.

3) The origin of the evil that created Mashadar and Shadar Logoth. Books say Mordeth found an ancient evil, I'd like to know more about it.

ANything like a movie etc would have to be from material already made.  I would be shocked if anything beyond what was in the books ever came out. 

Until Harriet's death.

what I basically mean is if the main WoT storyline is as big a success as Game of Thrones

It's STILL a bigger success (sold copies) despite being no tv show

We should let it go.

1. There are countless examples in (scifi/fantasy) literature that the quality of the writers' output after their peak is usually abysmal. While abysmal is not a fitting word to ACOS/POD-KOD, usually the fandom agrees that they took a huge dip in quality. 

2. There has to be an ending, and ask yourself: does a story really need 15 000 - 20 000 pages or even more to tell its tale? I get it, I read the series every year too, it's immersive, it's a living, breathing world but *sigh* there has to be an ending. It is so sad to see great writers, actors, musicians etc to put out inferior products instead of a "full stop".

3. Guessing and daydreaming is better than knowing the cold facts. I should like to touch on Rowling (no pun intended), she basically destroying her series with every new "book", every new "revelation", because she erase every mysteries with her facts.

Archived