DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

August Sign In

U4ea

Holy COW! It's August, already!!! 

Our theme this month is BOOKS and since I will be starting school next week (HOLY CRAP!), what books did your teachers read aloud to you while you were in school that really stuck with you? Why did you like them? 

As always, please reply only once to this thread as it is used for numbers in my monthly report. If you want to chat about awesome book choices (or whatever else comes to mind!), you can do it in the chatter box thread here! 

For me, my fifth grade teacher read us A Wrinkle in Time and really boosted my need to read fantasy. Meg, Charles Wallace and Calvin were my first book-friends. :) 

My sixth grade teacher read us To Kill a Mockingbird and A Tale of Two Cities (she was really into classics). Atticus is still one of my favorite father figures in literary history.

I've read Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone and Alcatraz vs. the Evil Librarians to my class, but I've also read Sideways Stories from Wayside School, too. I like to think they enjoy those... ;)

I'm here!

My teachers read many awesome books to us in school as kids, but I distinctly remember my 6th Grade teacher reading us Roald Dahl's two auto-biographical kids books, Boy, and Going Solo. I was particularly fond of Going Solo, about his time as a wartime pilot. 

I don't recal my teachers reading to us. I'm not saying they didn't, just that I don't actually recall anything specific that they read.

From grade five on we had to read a new book every month and do a book report on it. That killed my love of books by grade 9. Luckily after a few years out of school I was able to read for the pure enjoyment of a plot again and the love returned.

Analysis ong and picking apart everything and having to rush through the books to hit a deadline really sucked all the fun and enjoyment out. I can't remember what any of the books were actually about cause I just spent so long trying to find the answers to the questions to be able to pass a test that I didn't actually retain the story.

There's this one that I can't remember the name of but it was about a boy who was a bit of a bully at school then this new kid moves in and becomes his friend and is nice to him and then the main character also has this little imaginary world with his toys and I can't for the life of me remember more but I loved it.

Neeto here.

i had a 4th grade teacher who read aloud the entire first book of harry potter and the sorcerers stone - she read for a good 20 or 30 minutes a day for about a month or so and i was hooked on the series ever since.

• 3 weeks later...

Archived