DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

A Royal baby name

So, as some of you may know Prince William and Catherine are expecting a baby in the next couple of weeks.

We have had a sweep stake at work, guessing baby weight and name (anything to avoid doing actual work!)

Now the law has been changed for this baby, so whether boy and girl it will be next in line to the throne after William, so we were guessing a future King / Queen's name. I saw online somewhere a suggestion of Daenerys, and thought LOL that would be great!

So my question is this - if you could name a future King / Queen - name him / her anything - what would it be?

King Rand anybody?

:laugh:

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've been following all the bets online, lol. I'm totally on board with everyone betting a girl will be named Alexandra, maybe with Diana as one of the middle names. The current top bet for a boy is George, which I don't like so much, these two are a little more modern than that, I like to think... The second choices right now  (according to one article) are James, Philip or Alexander, which seem a litte more likely to me. I might be American, lol, but I am so excited for this baby, I think those two are wonderful together and this child is going to be adorable!

I'm not sure what they would name a girl, but for them, I'd name the boy Prince Rolo. ;)  And no, not after the candy.

If I named a future King or Queen, I'd name them Prince Adam and Princess Adora. Joking.  (He-Man and She-Ra)

Probably Prince Orion and Princess Andromeda.

I'm a big fan of Alexandra (I picked it, myself!) and I'm pretty sure Diana will be in there, somewhere. 

For a boy, though, I think they'll stick with something more traditional. James, perhaps, or Phillip (after grandpa). Maybe both? 

Alexandra Elizabeth Diana Victoria is my bet for a girl.

Phillip Arthur William George if a boy.

(Order of names may vary ... :wink: )

But if I could name them anything I wanted ...

Tyrion Alexander and/or Egwene Jacqueline

Or the androgynous King/Queen Lennon McCartney. :biggrin:

Edited 7/22 ...I realized I had 5 names listed. I edited before any name of the new Prince was announced. :smile:

I think I would like Arthur - somewhere in there. They normally have four names if they are boys. Of course our Kings and Queens can choose any name when they ascend the Throne - although the ladies have kept their given names, the gents often pick another.

And I would really like a King Arthur :biggrin:

And for a girl - which apparently it very much might be - I can see Victoria making an appearance - because apparently Charles and Diana had first dibs on that if they had a girl. Alexandria, Elizabeth and Charlotte are also good royal names, you might even get Katherine.

I read somewhere that while common to use Arthur as one of the names, it isn't popular to actually choose it because of the prophetic connotations. Something like King Arthur would actually return to rule one day and lead Britain through the end of the world ...can't quite remember ...

And also because if you do use it, and you're not the Prophetic King Arthur, the name could be cursed?

Like Henry VIII older brother.

I don't really believe in prophecy or curses, but I have always loved studying the British Royals and I think I read that in one of the books. :smile:

Poor Prince Arthur fell off his horse and died.

But he may not have chosen the name Arthur as his King Name.

Of course back then it was generally their given name that they assumed upon gaining the Crown. Who knows?

It is unlikely that we will ever have a King Arthur though ... that is true.

The once and future King who will lead us out of darkness. Sounds familiar lol

The Once and Future King ...I've always loved that turn of phrase.

I agree a King Arthur would be highly unlikely, but it would be cool. :smile:

And yes, poor King Arthur ...had he not died, and consummated his marriage, the British might have stayed Catholic ... :wink:

Well that's a whole other story. Maybe and maybe not. Henry VIII died a Catholic. It was his son who was our first Protestant King - and then the swing back and forth with Mary and Elizabeth and then of course James of Scotland who was Protestant ...

A few Kings later and a head chopped off and a couple more Kings and we eventually reach out and get ourselves a Dutch King and it written into law that Catholics cannot be Monarch. But then until very recently we would always have the first born son become King, regardless of order of birth. Things could change and I know that Charles has indicated that he would like to be known as the Defender of Faiths - rather than Defender of the Faith - but the Monarchy here are rather tied to our Church of England - being the Head and all.

We are an Island Nation - we probably would have gone our own way at some point lol - regardless of people falling off of horses :laugh:

Yeah, I was being a generalist, and using Henry's break from Rome as a catalyst, rather than the founding of a new church.

I do wonder how the rescinding of the no-Catholic Monarch law would affect the Church of England in the future.

If William, say, decided to convert (Diana was very attracted to Catholicism) ...could the head of The CoE be a Catholic? Minds would explode ... :biggrin:

I also saw Charles' s desire to be ...Faiths instead of Faith ...but I also read that while he may wish that, it doesn't make it so officially ...

Our Charles' have not been the luckiest of kings.

He probably doesn't want to be a Charles.

And George is a good tie back to previous monarchs who were well received and liked.

Yeah ...bad legacy of a name ...but I like it better than George ...although George does have the whole sentimental favorite ...

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2013/07/08/get-ready-for-the-new-prince-or-princess-of-cambridge/2499515/

"The royal baby, due any day, will be titled the Prince or Princess of Cambridge, the palace announced today."

We know this much already.

Yeah, that is absolutely as helpful as screen doors on a submarine ... LOL

Andrew, Charles, or George for a boy.

Alexandra, Catherine, or Mary for a girl.

Though if it were my baby it would be Arthur or Guinevere. :)

Archived