DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Best"/"Favourite" Moments in the Book

Barid Bel Medar

I think everyone else hit the good ones, but only one scene made me laugh out loud.

(I know that I am not quoting it correctly)

Elayne to Birgitte, "What would you do if you saw your queen riding into battle weilding a sword"

Birgitte, "Move to a different country"

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

* Nynaeve hugged Moiraine. This is the first tear-jerker for me.

* Lan looked back and saw Borderlanders armies. Second tear jerker.

* Rand and Elayne talking about the babies. Oh so bitter-sweet! I am a father, and I can put myself at Rand's shoes.

* Tuon-Mat-Rand meeting.

* Egwene-Tuon-Mat.

* Moiraine and Thom kiss before entering The Cave. Another tear jerker. Their romance might be off-screen, unlike Nynaeve and Lan, but as sweet and romantic for me.

* Rand calling Avienda 'shade of my heart', and Aviendha's farewell gesture to Rand.

* That random suldam knows that Min is Rand's woman, and Min being promoted as Tuon's Truth speaker.

* Sharan super gateway. A big WTH, followed by OMG NO!

* Egwene's death. Another tear jerker.

* Perrin's fight with Slayer. I'd love to see it in a movie!

* Faile and Olver.

* Olver blowing the horn, a YEAH!

* Olver saved by Noal, a big YEAH!

There are so many moments of bitter-sweet meeting (and parting), or funny banter, or duel, death etc, but these are my Top Ten moments in aMoL.

Ok.  The first thing was the Borderlanders coming to Lan's aid.  That was awesome, because he was done for and making his final charge for death.

Olver being saved by Noal.  Not to mention that Noal was a hero of the horn.  As many theories about people being heroes of the horn, that was cool.  Jain Fartstrider deserved that for sure.

Faile sacrificing herself and leaving Olver with the Horn as a desperate final attempt to save the Horn. 

Perrin snapping Lanfear's neck.

Lan fighting Demandred.  And killing 2 Fades at once.  Awesome!

Annoura burning herslef out to rescue Galad.  The ultimate sacrifice for an Aes Sedai while still alive. 

Tam showing Lan why he had a heronmark sword and leading the Two-Rivers men after they ran out of arrows.  Truly a great moment. 

Egwene sacrificing herself for the Light.  I didn't like her character through the whole series, but she went out with her boots on.

The Ogier fighting the Trollocs. 

Androl saving the army at the gates of Carhein.

Birgitte saving Elayne.  I wonder if she will reborn as one of Elayne's kids?

Thom sitting at the entrance of the Pit of Doom and taking out at least 5 Aes Sedai and being completely non-chalant about the whole thing.

Moiraine settling the argument and making the prophecy clear for everyone during the bargain.

Perrin finally killing Slayer.  And finding out there were wolves as Heroes of the Horn too!!!

Mat betting Galad he couldn't kill 20 channelers and giving him a medallion. 

Those are ALL GREAT scenes in AMOL and I loved everyone of them you mentioned.

"He let them be heroes."

While there are/where many emotional moments in the series (sad/happy/oh yeah! and the like), this is the only time I actually got real tears in the series (that I remember - it's been a decade or more since I read books 1-9 for the first time).

It was (finally) the end of Rand's journey - from being resigned to the fact that he was going to die to save the world (and trying to save everyone else along the way) to really understanding that he's not the only one that WANTS to save the world bad enough to sacrifice themselves in the process.

Or something like that.

• Rand and mat's disscussion about who had done the most worthwile thing(mat ending with i saved moraine and rand laughing)

Olver blowing the horn of valere

Mat talking to to elayne about his battle plan and him saying that hes not going to tell anyone what hes going to do, and elayne answering the creater shelter us

Androl's gateways

Lan and Demandred fight

Galad finding out rand is his half brother

The sharans arriving. finally know where demandred was all this time

But my favourite bit was right at the end, i really was shocked that rand had surrived, and the pipe lighting bit was just awesome

Guest Slapdash

Loved when Androl performed his "miracle"

Was on the verge of tears when Noal showed up to save Olver!

Not really a specific part, but I loved trying to figure out Mat's battle plan!

When you realize that the villagers Mat sent to the mouth of the river who died were actually the people from Hinderstrap!

• Rand and mat's disscussion about who had done the most worthwile thing(mat ending with i saved moraine and rand laughing)
  • Olver blowing the horn of valere
  • Mat talking to to elayne about his battle plan and him saying that hes not going to tell anyone what hes going to do, and elayne answering the creater shelter us
  • Androl's gateways
  • Lan and Demandred fight
  • Galad finding out rand is his half brother
  • The sharans arriving. finally know where demandred was all this time
  • But my favourite bit was right at the end, i really was shocked that rand had surrived, and the pipe lighting bit was just awesome
. I forgot about rand and Mat's interaction. That was great

#1 Lan taking out 2 Myddraal at once like they were trash, EPIC.

#2 Demandred schooling Taim.  Man vs. child.

#3 Lan schooling Demandred.  One final lesson for Demandred. 

#4 Perrin wrecking Slayer and Lanfear.

#5 Rand showing Fortuna who is boss.

• Mat talking to to elayne about his battle plan and him saying that hes not going to tell anyone what hes going to do, and elayne answering the creater shelter us
  • Androl's gateways
  • But my favourite bit was right at the end, i really was shocked that rand had surrived, and the pipe lighting bit was just awesome

+1 

Some might not have liked the scene with Rand, Mat, and Tuon in Ebou Dar. However, I thought it was awesome, and the humorous one up man-ship between Rand and Mat was very funny to me. I really enjoyed that. 

It's not an exact part, I was just happy how much time was spent on Lan. This was his time as much as it was Rand's, in a sense. 

And I agree, I liked that he just tore up the myrdraal like they were nothing.

I also liked a lot of Talmanes parts. Maybe I'm alone with this, but I think Brandon did a pretty good job with Talmane's character development. Really, once Mat left the Band, they could have become a total left over. Giving Talmanes a real personality kept them alive to a degree.

You know who I was upset didn't make an appearance? Dobraine.

Too many awesome things to list. Even some Faile bits which i was very surprised by.

but two stood out for me. Somewhat similar but also different.

Lan vs Demandred. Loved the buildup. You knew it was going to be glorious no matter how it turne out. Riding down a corridor cleared by longbows, facing a dude that already beat Galad and Gawyn. I almost said taishar Malkier out loud.

Perrin and Lanfear in the cave. The whole book i was wondering what was up with Lanfear helping Perrin. That healing gave me real bad vibe. When Lanfear leaves Perrin to later and he feels so sad about that it clicked- compulsion. And then he gets to the cave in the most crucial moments. And Lanfear is there. And they start walking deeper together. Nononono. "You kill that one, i kill this one". For a moment i forgot that this is not the kind of book that would make one of the main protagonist do that sort of thing. Pure dread. And then- snap. Magnificent. Straightforward, No dancing about, just snap. Done. Perhaps even anticliactic to some. Brilliant.

Not in any particular order:

1. Mat/Tuon reunion. Loved whole chapter, but especially how she looked over her shoulder after seeing Mat with knife.

2. Androl's miracle.

3. Mat throwing away their battle plan at field of merrilor.

4. Itulralde resisting the compulsion and not giving the order to retreat.

5. Min convincing Seanchans to return.

6. Mat "checking the pulse of battle" for first time.

7. Birgitte saving Elayne. 

* That random suldam knows that Min is Rand's woman, and Min being promoted as Tuon's Truth speaker.

Actually, Mat is the one who "casually" announced that Min was the Dragon Reborn's woman and the sul'dam (Catrona) about swallowed her tongue . . .

One of my favorite moment's was Egwene's first meeting with Tuon. I heartily dislike Tuon and her attitude. Egwene is a SAINT compared to her!

Another was when Perrin realized that he couldn't risk everything (as he had previously done) to save Faile. That was a huge step for him.

I have others but need to cogitate on them some more . . .

Guest AlexQuellerNJ

I agree with a lot here and there were probably over a dozen spots that I got the chills, but here are a few favorite (in no particular order)

1.  When Lan tells Tam basically "I often wondered if the man who gave Rand the heron sword deserved, and now I know" was pretty epic

2.  Lan "sheathing the sword" to kill Demandred (and of course that entire scene with him just riding off and having an EPIC battle with Demandred)

3.  Upon reading, I didnt get chills at first, but a few days after finishing the book, the whole Rand vs Dark One battle really sunk in.  The whole "possibility" vs "possibility" and then Rand finally starting to win, as he started thinking about Moraine, Thom, Nynaeve, Tam, etc. and how their hope and wills to do good gave him the strength to start winning this battle.

4.  Mat saying to Rand after going back & forth in Ebou Dar trying to outdo eachother's accomplishments gave me the chills. Then Mat's comment saying  "Oh hey and by the way, I saved Moraine, so 'I win'." I thought was PHENOMENAL

5.  Although it was a short scene, Perrin snapping Lanfear's neck was pretty awesome.  

6.  Loial and Ogier fighting in the Last Battle.  Period. 

• Androl's gateways

+1 

Some might not have liked the scene with Rand, Mat, and Tuon in Ebou Dar. However, I thought it was awesome, and the humorous one up man-ship between Rand and Mat was very funny to me. I really enjoyed that. 

Agreed. I was laughing out loud during that entire exchange.

My favourite scene in the book is the scene where Evin was turned to the Shadow. Few scenes in the series did a more effective job in establishing the pure evil of the Shadow and his followers. The part where Androl could hear the screams and they suddenly stop made my hair stand on end, The following part where Androl takes advantage of the taints maddness, and gets Evin to attack the other guard was  the pivotal part in the whole book for me. As the subsequent fight frees Logain and denies the Shadow hundreds of potential Dreadlords. I jumped out of my chair in celebration.

Olver saving the horn when he attacks the Black Ajah holding Faile and the others after they crossed through the gateway, and all of Olver's subsequent story line. Culminating in one of the most emotional moments in the book as Noal arrives from the horn to save him.

Gawyn killing the trolloc who was taking Simon's body to the cookpots, it was a small gesture but it was the right thing to do.

When Mat see's the heroes of the horn charging into the battle and notices a lone hero racing off to the side, you just new it was Birgitte and Mellar was going to get what was coming to him! I was so excited i had to skip ahead just to read it before returning and continuing on.

The battle at Shayol Ghul, the defenders continuing to fight even though the odds are completely against them. No matter how desperate it got they never broke! 

And all the other previously mentioned moments.

My favorite part of the book was The Last Battle. That chapter alone was a good fifth of the book, which is part of the reason why I enjoyed it so much. I thought it was an excellent idea to keep that battle as a whole instead of breaking it up into chapters. I also thought it was very well written. The pace of it started slowly, but the further along in the chapter, the quicker the scenes got. It really helped to portray the urgency and rapidity of the battle. That whole battle could have been written in a very borning, blow-by-blow kind of way, but instead it focused more on the emotions of the characters, which I think was the right way to go. Additionally, all the segments with Rand were kept short, while the scenes at the Pass were slightly longer and the ones at the Fields of Merrilor the longest, an excellent representation of time displacement effect The Bore had.

Though a close second is Talmanes' PoV in the prologue!

In Rand's farewell to Lan (after giving him the reforged crown of Malkier): "You have ever been a king, my friend. Elayne taught me to rule, but you . . . you taught me how to stand."

That made me flashback to the bk2 scenes of Lan preparing Rand to meet the Amyrlin: "What training you’ve had, I gave you, and I’ll not have you groveling and sniveling. The Wheel weaves us all into the Pattern as it wills. You have less freedom about it than most, but by the Light, you can still face it on your feet."

"There is one rule, above all others, for being a man. Whatever comes, face it on your feet."

Some of my favourite moments:

Androl: "Did you just... mentally glare at me?"

And all the interactions between the Red sister and her Ashaman. They were cute!

Mat standing on a To'raken with reins in his hands and his complaints the moments before.

Perrin snapping Lanfears neck.

Lan killing Damodred.

Olver blowing the horn.

Mat raising a soldier to the Blood and making his own Damane. "I did what?!"

When Mat woke up naked trying to dress himself.

Archived