DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

"Best"/"Favourite" Moments in the Book

Barid Bel Medar

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• The Borderlander armies charging through gateways to help the Malkieri as they galloped towards what they thought would be certain death.  I would love to see this scene in a movie!

Rand and Elayne talking about parenthood and Rand's sadness that he won't see his children.

Egwene's death and conversation with Rand after she has died.

Galad finding Gawyn after he was mortally wounded by Demandred.

Faile sacrificing herself to distract the trollocs.  This scene for me captured the desperation of the Last Battle better than anything else.  The fact that abandoning a child in the middle of a trolloc camp was really the best option available, and that all Faile can do is buy some time and hope for a miracle is very heart wrenching.

Lan's dual with Demandred and the moment when Rand shows the DO that Lan is still alive, holding Demandred's severed head.

Nynaeve fumbling in the dark to stitch Alanna's wounds up.

Moiraine showing up at the Fields of Merrilor and making Rand and Egwene shut up!

Birgitte killing Mellar.

Lan defeating Demandred was the single most epic moment in the book for me. Not only is it cool that it was him that told Rand that sometimes it was necessary to 'sheathe the sword', he also won his single-handed war against the Shadow by defeating one of the most powerful people that ever lived.

I also loved Androl's and Pevara's interactions through their bond.

I also liked the "wtf just happened?" feeling I got at the very end of the book :P

On top of what others have already said, Loial & the ogier finally showing us what they can do. Talames and the dragon's unleashing death through the gateways. Finialy holding the book in my hands, although the saddest was when I set it down. 

Loial and the Ogiers' song of death, Thom tossin a dagger while thinking about powerful words, Tam starting the burning of the biar, the consensus that the Aiel would enforce the peace, Androls ability with using gateways to creatively kill was a good one too, Elayne finally stepping up as a Queen and acting correctly

EDIT: Perrin killing Lanfear

for years i hoped to see lanfear returning to light in the last book.

she was,and still is my favorite female character,her participations

in books 2-5 are nothing short of sensational.

the conversation between rand and mierin  in the dreamshard completely stunned me,

and for a second,a tiny little second i truly believed in her salvation,but she refused.

rand utterly destroyed mierin when he opened his soul to her and left nothing hidden,

he was brutally honest without an ounce of pity.

even after that rand still gave mierin a choice:"keep your head down during the storm to

come.if i win this fight,you will no longer have reason to fear".

in my opinion,this is one of the most powerful interactions between two people in

randland.

tai'shar rand al thor.

When Egwene met Fortuona the 1st time at the border of Kandor and discovered Mat's situation; She treats Mat exactly the way he treated her at Salidar, how ironic!  She assumes he is in over his head, needing rescue.  Egwene won't believe Mat is Prince of Ravens until the Empress (may she live forever...) tells her a second time that she married Knotai.  She persists in this belief later on when she contemplates how to grant Mat asylum without jeopardizing the alliance with the Seanchan.

Guest Hitman8D

Most emotional was when Lan "sheathed the sword" kill Demandred. At that point in the battle, lots of people have died. Lots of known characters dead. It was a time of tears, joy, and desparation.

Favorites

• The saving of Olver and learning that Farstrider is now a Hero of the Horn
  • Flame of Tar Valon
  • Dragons/Canons firing through gateways

I really, REALLY liked the imaginative use of gateways. I really wonder if that was a Sanderson advent or Jordan's original idea. I think it was Sanderson. But, that's a differnt discussion for a different thread.

When Egwene met Fortuona the 1st time at the border of Kandor and discovered Mat's situation; She treats Mat exactly the way he treated her at Salidar, how ironic!  She assumes he is in over his head, needing rescue.  Egwene won't believe Mat is Prince of Ravens until the Empress (may she live forever...) tells her a second time that she married Knotai.  She persists in this belief later on when she contemplates how to grant Mat asylum without jeopardizing the alliance with the Seanchan.

haha you beat me to it. the other moments documented here are great and all but this moment one was the funniest to me.

Egwene and Tuon hate each other and their meeting was so....cordial.  Then Mat shows up and Egwene has a hearty laugh.  I believe she said "You married Matrim Cauthon?".  LOL, I was thinking, what's wrong with that?!? Then ofc her belief that Mat was in over his head was lol. You could swear they were back in the Two Rivers.

Even though I knew it was coming from a mile away: when Mat got control of the Last Battle! Imight have fist pumped.

Thought it was cool to see a sliver of Slayer backstory/ what Shara is like

Loved how Olver's scenes were handled

Loved the unexpectedness ( Taim isn't killed by Logain, Dem isn't killed by a channeler, Logain's glory isn't an epic battle, Rand gets to be whole and at peace finally)

• The Borderlander armies charging through gateways to help the Malkieri as they galloped towards what they thought would be certain death.  I would love to see this scene in a movie!

This actually made me tear up.  I'm a sucker for last-minute rescues from hopeless situations.  This one was even better than the "there's people attacking the Trollocs" bit in book 4.

I would almost put Lan killing Demandred up here, if only he hadn't been so wordy.  "I did not come here to win, I came here to kill you." is perfect.  Tagging it with "Death is lighter than a feather" (we know already, we are familiar with this saying) kind of spoiled it.

Ok.  The first thing was the Borderlanders coming to Lan's aid.  That was awesome, because he was done for and making his final charge for death.

Olver being saved by Noal.  Not to mention that Noal was a hero of the horn.  As many theories about people being heroes of the horn, that was cool.  Jain Fartstrider deserved that for sure.

Faile sacrificing herself and leaving Olver with the Horn as a desperate final attempt to save the Horn. 

Perrin snapping Lanfear's neck.

Lan fighting Demandred.  And killing 2 Fades at once.  Awesome!

Annoura burning herslef out to rescue Galad.  The ultimate sacrifice for an Aes Sedai while still alive. 

Tam showing Lan why he had a heronmark sword and leading the Two-Rivers men after they ran out of arrows.  Truly a great moment. 

Egwene sacrificing herself for the Light.  I didn't like her character through the whole series, but she went out with her boots on.

The Ogier fighting the Trollocs. 

Androl saving the army at the gates of Carhein.

Birgitte saving Elayne.  I wonder if she will reborn as one of Elayne's kids?

Thom sitting at the entrance of the Pit of Doom and taking out at least 5 Aes Sedai and being completely non-chalant about the whole thing.

Moiraine settling the argument and making the prophecy clear for everyone during the bargain.

Perrin finally killing Slayer.  And finding out there were wolves as Heroes of the Horn too!!!

Mat betting Galad he couldn't kill 20 channelers and giving him a medallion. 

haha you beat me to it. the other moments documented here are great and all but this moment one was the funniest to me.

Egwene and Tuon hate each other and their meeting was so....cordial.  Then Mat shows up and Egwene has a hearty laugh.  I believe she said "You married Matrim Cauthon?".  LOL, I was thinking, what's wrong with that?!? Then ofc her belief that Mat was in over his head was lol. You could swear they were back in the Two Rivers.

It was cordial up until Egwene dared to touch the person of the Empress and Fortuona responded with a lightning grab which caused Egwene to embrace Saidar...  LOL, I thought we were going to see the ultimate Wheel of Time Cat Fight until Mat intervened.  Also note that when Egwene noticed how possessive Fortuona was she made sure she tweaked the nose of the Empress by telling her she wasn't interested in Mat...for now.

I think my favorite moment or plotline was the fall of the great captions and Mat taking command, it was done in a very convincing climatic way and made both Graendal and Mat look awesome! and it was scary when we first think that the great captions are indeed darkfriends

I loved the way Lanfear died, specifically how Perrin overcame compulsion using his knowledge in the dream world and how compulsion is just another weave

aside from that, I love pretty much all the things mentioned before, and how Hinderstrap played a role in the end

Archived