DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Your thoughts on reading going to screens, rather then paper?

Night Angel Kage

I prefer an actual, honest to goodness, Book. With the cover, and the pages, the whole deal. However, I find it very convienient to have a book on my phone as well, I can just open it up in class, or when I'm traveling, and it's fairly easier then carrying a book. I'd rather have the book itself, though. I know that a bunch of people refuse to have Kindles and Ipods, or other devices, because they feel technology is taking over everything, so they refuse to support it, I want to know your thoughts? 

My first thought is that this post belongs on the main board or in the Village. :) Do you want everyone to be able to read it or just the BT members? I can move it for you.

But to your question.... I always prefer real books. Before I had to erase everything on my phone I had WoT downloaded to it. It was the first 12 books + The strike at Shayol Ghul. I would never think about reading full books on my phone but The strike on Shayol Ghul is just a short novel so that was fine. So if I wanted to read something on my phone again I would choose shorter stories.

I prefer paper books and have never had any intention of getting an e-reader. I wouldn't mind a smartphone with a Kindle app if one existed with a decently priced plan, which I've pretty much determined isn't out there. I have read some e-fiction on my desktop in the 1632 shared universe from Baen's e-book website, but if it were in print I would choose the print version.

I love books.  However, I have a deep love for re-reading, and very, very little storage space.

The Kindle is a wonderful thing, and I've grown to love how easy it is to carry around, to adjust the font size, to read one-handed... and to carry hundreds of books with me wherever I go.

I prefer paper books, but I also enjoy my kindle. I like real books because it's something you can hold, you can lend it to people and I have spent hours staring at and touching the cover art of my WoT books. But I haven't read so much since I got the kindle. Hundreds of short stories at my finger tips and very cheap. The main thing I don't like about reading on the kindle, is that I feel stuck on the page I'm on. I just don't feel as comfortable going to the glossary or index as I would in a paper book. And I would ask of a gift card for the local bookstore way sooner than I would for one for the e-book store.

Archived