DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Leigh Butler's review

Terez

After reading review:  Gah!  I finished my re-read too soon! (two months ago).  Need to read some WoT stuff in anticipation...  *wonders* Mmmaaaayyyybbbbeeeee I can fit in one more final re-read before aMoL is released.....   *conflicted*...

lol!  I find myself with the same problem, so I started another go at the audiobooks.

I've been listening to the audiobooks every night as I fall asleep since I finished my re-read, and I'm only on tDR.  I fall asleep too quickly, and am not making enough progress :/

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah, damn. Well, one prophecy fulfilled. - definitely refers to Rand bowing to the Crystal Throne

God, they are so WEIRD. I totally don’t know how to feel about this relationship. But then, apparently neither do they, so that’s… all right? I guess? - Thom and Moraine

Hey, don’t you know you’ll go blind if you do that? Heh heh. - I really hope thats not what I think it is, not trying read about that...

Holy Law of Conservation of Characters, Batman! When was the last time we saw ________, TGH? Heh. - A Hero of the horn

Wow, that was perfect. That was perfect. - Egwene's Death

NO WAY. OMG YAY. Sorry, must clap like a seal for a moment, brb. Also, how did I not see that coming? My hindsight, she is so 20/20! - Egwene's death?

Oh, yeah. I was wondering when they would show up. Not that I’m particularly thrilled that they’re here, of course. - at first I thought the Sharans, but i feel like its too late for them to come into the story. So im going with the red veiled aiel's arrival at the LB or the Seanchans

My thoughts - some.most have already been thought up by others.

And then:

Oh.

Has to be the end - as in oh, that's it, forever, the end, oh...

What? Are you kidding me? That is the worst name EVER! Ugh! I protest! I stomp my foot in your general terrible-nomenclaturing direction! Gah!

Definately Heffalump

God, they are so WEIRD. I totally don’t know how to feel about this relationship. But then, apparently neither do they, so that’s… all right? I guess?

Mat & Tuon

And here’s Choked Up Incident #3, and over a sparring session!

Rehash of previous sparring - either Mat vs Galad & Gawyn, Rand vs Lan or possible Galad vs Gawyn.

So I'd guess choked up 1 or 2 is Lan vs the Blight, or possibly their rescue - as I'm leaning towards choked up 3 being Lan vs. Rand

Hah, so sure of that theory, were you? Well, so were a lot of people. So much for that!

Roedran? - *looks at Mik*

Geez, no consent issues here. I am not sure a proportional response is always actually proportional, you guys! What the hell?

Double bonding?

Holy crap, THROW IT AWAY RIGHT NOW ARE YOU CRAZY. …Wait, stupid question.

Gawyn & Bloodrings

*blink* *blink* Well, I’ll be damned. Mentioned twice, even! I’m not sure if that’s a sop to shut me up or a nod that I was right, or both, but I don’t care, because awesome. The most likely option, of course, is that it didn’t have a damn thing to do with me at all, and ultimately it is totally irrelevant anyway, but I don’t care, because thank you. I am Pleased.

male gay characters - likely amongst the Ashaman (pretty sure their's been speculation on this already.

AHAHAHA. Just in case there were any trolls out there still insisting on it, eh?

Got to be a Taim (insert Forsaken sylabols here)

That oh at the end scared me. I would react that way if say Logain died. Yikes. 

Why can't the weeks go by faster dammit?

Don't say that! Now you're making me scared!

I thought this one might be Gawyn with the bloodknives' rings.

That is what occurred to me as well.

However, I also had the idea that it was Mat. With things coming around full circle (as discussed by sleepinghour and others) I had the thought of it being Mat, going back to the Shadar Logoth foray in EotW when he is stupid enough to take the obviously evil dagger.

Mat can certainly be crazy, like the SL thing, his recklessness with fireworks and crazy strategies based on luck.

But Gawyn fits better with the bloodrings, it's the kind of thing he would do. Something crazy reckless that ends up getting him in deeper crap than if he did nothing. It's basically what he does.

The thing is Gawyn picked up the bloodrings at the end of ToM and we're all kind of expecting him to do something stupid. And Leigh's reaction sounds like she's somewhat shocked. Not to mention she says "it" not "them", and Gawyn has three rings

Keep in mind that Leigh doesn't even really keep up with the theories discussed in the comments of her blog. And some things are just not discussed very often there. I noticed last JordanCon that she seemed unaware of a lot of commonly-discussed theories.

This review was great, really got me excited - really excited - for the first time. Thanks to Terez - always bringing us slowpokes up to speed quickly :tongue:

Jason's review (and mind you, this may not be his fault, it was done a LONG time before the release date) seemed too sedated, and while expressed some beautiful sentiments, didn't get me wanting to read aMoL any more than I already did. 

But Leigh's review here I see as pure fan-joy. I think it's obvious - at least to me - that she thoroughly enjoyed the book, issues and errors included. 

It was good to see a reaction that I thought was genuinely bursting with excitement. I could almost imagine her having to hold herself back writing a non-spoiler.

I don't even want to try and guess at what she is talking about  (although no doubt I'll cave and do just that :laugh:) I just want to leave it exactly as it is - a great review that contains genuine joy that people can get excited from. The review served it's purpose excellently. Thank you Leigh. 

yeah i kind of feel the same way too :)

already got chills and thats without the book

the 8th cannot come soon enough :p

I thought this one might be Gawyn with the bloodknives' rings.
  That is what occurred to me as well.    However, I also had the idea that it was Mat. With things coming around full circle (as discussed by sleepinghour and others) I had the thought of it being Mat, going back to the Shadar Logoth foray in EotW when he is stupid enough to take the obviously evil dagger.    Mat can certainly be crazy, like the SL thing, his recklessness with fireworks and crazy strategies based on luck.    But Gawyn fits better with the bloodrings, it's the kind of thing he would do. Something crazy reckless that ends up getting him in deeper crap than if he did nothing. It's basically what he does.  

I really don't see how it could be the bloodknives' rings.  Gawyn already acquired them in ToM,so that would be the time to throw them away.  The only thing he could do with them now is activate them, which would presumably lead to a slow death.  However, that assumption comes from a people that had absolutely no knowledge of Healing and limited knowledge of ter'angreal in general, I don't think the Bloodknife rings are necessarily death sentences.  In any case, my point is simply throwing the bloodknife rings away after activation does nothing except buy you a few weeks, and he's already carrying them around with him so why the sudden urge to throw them away?  I dunno.

I initially thought the True Power of dream spike.  The True Power is obvious, but oneof the aMoL releases imply that Perrin is considering an important decision which might be stupid.  My thought is that he might be considering taking the dreamspike, not to destroy, but to use somehow to block Traveling, either the Seanchan or Shadow.  He's the only Light player that knows how to use them, except perhaps for Rand but Rand / LTT has displayed some rather shocking ignorance related to TAR so he probably doesn't.

All that being said, I like the idea of Mat coming into contact with the ruby dagger again... it just fits Leigh's reaction perfectly.  I REALLY don't think this is going to happen, but Padan Fain got most (if not all) of his powers after acquiring the ruby dagger.  I wonder if Mat could turn Mashadar into his own lapdog if he got the dagger (again, really don't think this is gonna happen)

Geez, no consent issues here. I am not sure a proportional response is always actually proportional, you guys! What the hell?

I think this has to be the double bonding, this is the only one i felt even remotely sure of looking at the list

Dammit, dammit, no, don’t agree, don’t agree to – DAMMIT. Well, there goes the neighborhood. You MORON. (Maybe?)

Hmm. This makes me think.  All the Lanfear is going to turn to the Light theories.  Maybe she pretends to change sides and this is Rand being dumb enough to agree to let her.  Throws herself at Rand's mercy and he can't do the smart thing and it bites him in the ass later as part of some elaborate scheme.  Or given the (maybe?) at the end, perhaps it doesnt bite him in the ass.  I could see something like that a lot easier than her actually turning good guy.  Doesn't have to be Lanfear necessarily either, could be Demandred based on some of Rand's thoughts in one of the prereleased chapters.  I never put any stock into any of the forsaken turning to the light theories until reading the aMoL chapter.  It seemed like Rand/LTT wanted to redeem Demandred. Wanted probly too strong a word, but it seemed to be where his line of thinking was headed.  I can see it being something Rand might fall for at least, given his thoughts in that chap.  I have a really hard time thinking any of them would ever actually "go Light".  Maybe maybe maybe Ishydin, on a purely logical decision if he realized his original logic for going over was flawed and it was actually impossible for the DO to ever win, lol.

Hah, so sure of that theory, were you? Well, so were a lot of people. So much for that!

Demandred=roedran would be my guess.  I ascribe to that theory myself, if for no other reason like many people i dont see an alternative that fits.

*blink* *blink* Well, I’ll be damned. Mentioned twice, even! I’m not sure if that’s a sop to shut me up or a nod that I was right, or both, but I don’t care, because awesome. The most likely option, of course, is that it didn’t have a damn thing to do with me at all, and ultimately it is totally irrelevant anyway, but I don’t care, because thank you. I am Pleased.

I could see this being the gay character or her getting a fan cameo spot either one.

AHAHAHA. Just in case there were any trolls out there still insisting on it, eh?

Taimandred is a good guess.

Uh. Is that who I think it is? Because whooooa.

Gonna guess this is when she realizes that Graendel=Heffalump.

This would be one of those points in a story where there is really only one applicable phrase, and that phrase is oh shit.

When the seals are broken?

Ah, damn. Well, one prophecy fulfilled.

Could be a dozen things.  Doesnt even have to be about Rand for that matter.

Holy Law of Conservation of Characters, Batman! When was the last time we saw ________, TGH? Heh.

No clue, and Leigh is unsure when the person was last seen, I assume from the ?, so hard to pin down where to look even.

Yeah, well, dude, what did you expect? That wasn’t bringing a knife to a gun fight; that was bringing a knife to a Global Thermonuclear Warfare fight. Sheesh. Also: Damn. That sucks.

Galad and Gawyn best guess here I think.  I really hope it's Gawyn.  I want to see him use the bloodrings and charge a Forsaken and get exploded.

Oh, yeah. I was wondering when they would show up. Not that I’m particularly thrilled that they’re here, of course.

Red veil Aiel was my first thought, Seanchan works as others have said.  I guess Sharans works too.

*falls over laughing* Oh my God, that is hilarious. And somewhere a certain someone is saying SO THERE, IT WAS RELEVANT, WASN’T IT. Touché, Team Jordan. Touché.

Whoever said Hinderstrap, that's a great guess, nothing came to mind for me.

"Holy crap, THROW IT AWAY RIGHT NOW ARE YOU CRAZY. …Wait, stupid question."

Hmm, if it were bloodrings they should be throw 'them' away I would think. If it were TP.. well wouldn't 'Let it go' or the equivalent be more likely? Not impossible but a bit awkward. 

-Its got to be something that you would cast aside instead of destroy outright. A domination band I think you would want to see destroyed, certainly not tossed where somebody could pick it up.

-Its got to be a character we associate with crazy. Rand could fit, Fain, one of the touched A'M, Nynaeve maybe, Matt?, Moridin, who else?

@Sentinel78 - Gawyn hasn't yet activated the bloodrings - until he drops blood on them, they're harmless to him. I believe their's an interview with BS that suggests that they're not his invention, which means that RJ has something planned for them. (I'm not sure which interview it was, but I think it was in response to the question of where they get the bloodrings from considering the only ter'angreal they know how to make is the adam. The response was that it wasn't a mistake (and I think also that BS hadn't made them up - although I'm not sure of this as the name isn't something I'd expect RJ to come up with).)

If Mat picked up the dagger it would kill him (it was slowly killing him throughout tEotW, GH (when seperated) and beginning of tDR. He wouldn't get chance to control anything.

Some thoughts, not all of them entirely serious:

Wow, I totally forgot that ______ didn’t actually know that. And yes, dude, your timing sucks balls. Sheesh.

I rather like the idea posted at TL that this could be Galad learning he has another half brother

And here’s Choked Up Incident #3, and over a sparring session!

Hmm, Olver has been learning how to fight...

Uh. Is that who I think it is? Because whooooa.

Demandred is finally revealed!
Or, for another really long shot, Mat in disguise that fools even his sister (as per possible forshadowing in TGS)

Well, that wasn’t tense or anything. Also: PREACH IT, SISTER.

Moiraine putting everyone straight at FoM (or is this too much like wishfull thinking?)

Could be when Rand finds out that Callandor will open him up to being consumed by the DO. The reader's natual reaction would be to say  "throw it away now!" ANd of course, Rand IS crazy.

Could be when Rand finds out that Callandor will open him up to being consumed by the DO. The reader's natual reaction would be to say  "throw it away now!" ANd of course, Rand IS crazy.

I like this idea.

@Sentinel78 - Gawyn hasn't yet activated the bloodrings - until he drops blood on them, they're harmless to him. I believe their's an interview with BS that suggests that they're not his invention, which means that RJ has something planned for them. (I'm not sure which interview it was, but I think it was in response to the question of where they get the bloodrings from considering the only ter'angreal they know how to make is the adam. The response was that it wasn't a mistake (and I think also that BS hadn't made them up - although I'm not sure of this as the name isn't something I'd expect RJ to come up with).)

If Mat picked up the dagger it would kill him (it was slowly killing him throughout tEotW, GH (when seperated) and beginning of tDR. He wouldn't get chance to control anything.

Perhaps Rand has got hold of the dagger, and intends using it to hold off the DO.

I don't think the word 'bloodrings' appears in the text. It seems to have been applied by a number of fans, though. Useful word.

Interesting idea. Could be it, although I would think that by the time Rand figures this out it will be too late.

Interesting idea. Could be it, although I would think that by the time Rand figures this out it will be too late.

I like it as well. Random theory to add to that one: Callandor was theorised to "magnify effect of the Dark One's taint on saidin". People will have stated before why (or why not) Callandor might be able to be used to Channel the True Power. That quote makes me think it is possible. The taint on Saidin might have been "raw bitumen" whereas the True Power could be "refined high-octane gasoline". Callandor will do to one what it can do to the other.

Now someone please tell me why this is crazy...

I like it as well. Random theory to add to that one: Callandor was theorised to "magnify effect of the Dark One's taint on saidin". People will have stated before why (or why not) Callandor might be able to be used to Channel the True Power. That quote makes me think it is possible. The taint on Saidin might have been "raw bitumen" whereas the True Power could be "refined high-octane gasoline". Callandor will do to one what it can do to the other.

RJ said that angreal won't work with TP. There are no qualifiers in that quote. If Callandor could be used to channel TP RJ would qualify that answer or just RAFO the question.

And actually, after reading other suggestions the one I like best is that it's Fain's dagger. This fits better than Callandor or TP. I really can't believe Rand would ever use TP again unless he is turned and he can't use it at Shayol Ghul even if he wanted to because he'd be instantly fried.

RJ said that angreal won't work with TP. There are no qualifiers in that quote. If Callandor could be used to channel TP RJ would qualify that answer or just RAFO the question.

And actually, after reading other suggestions the one I like best is that it's Fain's dagger. This fits better than Callandor or TP. I really can't believe Rand would ever use TP again unless he is turned and he can't use it at Shayol Ghul even if he wanted to because he'd be instantly fried.

Ok, post-Herid theory revision: His ability to access the True Power will be relevant when he tries to use Callandor. Rand might not draw upon it but he has already used it once before. He is already slightly True Power "tainted". Using Callandor will activate the madness/addiction/"saa"ness like a trigger for a dormant disease/pathogen. The shadow will then be able to touch his mind.

this is better :) I think something like that myself. BS said that there will be consequences for Rand using the TP.  As you say he doesn't even have to ever use it again and I think he won't. But  that one time might be enough for the DO to take him over when he uses Callandor at Shayol Ghul. Shaidar Haran has interesting powers over those sworn to the DO (he can shield them for one thing). Rand having used the TP might mean that he is now in the same boat, at least in some situations.

I've been thinking about the choked up moment involving a sparring session, and I can't think of any pairing that would have that kind of emotional impact other than Rand and Lan, but don't see how that's ever gonna happen.  Probly have to be after Rand got a new body somehow. and requires Lan to survive long enough.  This one really has me stumped because I just don't know of any other matchups that would have that impact.  Is there anyone else we would care enough about?  Or rather that Leigh would care that much about I guess. 

About Callandor magnifing the taint. What about now that the taint has been cleansed from Saiden? or could there be a small remnant left?

Hence my theory; If the taint is 100% gone (which it seems to be although nobody in Randland is 100% sure), Rand has some protection from that due to the "veins of gold" effect. Since this is the last book (and the last battle), it would makes sense for the author to raise the stakes as we approach the climax of the series. We've moved on from the low dosage "bath salts"(Saidin madness) to krokodil with high levels of toxic impurities (True Power side-effects: madness, extremely high level of addiction and physical decay of one's body).

Archived