DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Dark Prophecy from ToM

Terez

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself.  

308 members have voted

1. 1. Who is the Broken Wolf in the TOM prophecy?

Pretty self-explanatory. If anyone is interested, I made an argument here - Dark Prophecy FAQ - that it's Rand. I think I also added to that a little with a recent post. I think I included all the popular and not-so-popular candidates, but I think I can add other candidates after the poll is published if I forgot someone important, and I added an 'other' option just in case. (I think they get increasingly more ridiculous, but that's me.)

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I seriously have no idea. I mean, I know all the evidence for and against the candidates, and who is more likely than who, but the prophecy is so vague, the second time we have seen a shadow prophecy and too short for me to choose one. It seems obvious that Moridin and Graendal thought it was Perrin. But really, that isnt much evidence. If anything, its probably evidence against it.

But, if I had to pick between a few it would have to be, in no particular order.

Rand,

Lan

Perrin.

For the sake of the story I would like it to be Perrin because we all know Rand is going to die. Whereas if Perrin were to die it would be an actual shock. And as much as I like Perrin I think it would be good for the story to have a major character die and not come back. The ultimate victory for the forces of light needs losses to add more emotional depth to the final triumph but maybe that's just me. Having said that I am the more I think about it the more likely it is to be Rand because I am certain Rand will be brought back from the dead and I think at the end all three ta'veren will be alive.

Hence from working at it backwards. Perrin, Rand and Mat will be alive at the end. The broken wolf will die. The one who we know will come back to life is Rand therefore most likely the broken wolf is Rand. I know there are all sorts of flaws in this logic. I will now vote Rand (without even needing anymore proof from Terez who certainly provided plenty in the other thread). My vote is cast.

I asked myself 'Bashere or Ituralde?' and finally plumped for Bashere. Mainly because of Min's comments about what she saw in her Viewings of him. Oh, and that wolfhead baton must indicate something.

I also think the two statements quoted at the head of this poll refer to two different people. And I don't equate 'destruction' with death, necessarily.

In fact, if you interpret the phrase 'his destruction' as not meaning the destruction or death of him, but destruction by him, what destructive force is likely to bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men..

..that's right, Mat's cannons. Ask Birgitte and Elayne. And then there are Egwene's dreams:

ACOS10: Mat watches Illuminator's fireworks. He grabs one out of the air and arrows of fire shoot from his fist. Men will die because of this.

COT20: Mat bowls on a village green. He knocks over pins again and again, only the pins are men and they are dead. Each pin represents thousands of men and an Illuminator was part of it.

JMO.

Yea, and the Broken Wolf, the one whom Death has known, shall fall and be consumed by the Midnight Towers. And his destruction shall bring fear and sorrow to the hearts of men, and shall shake their very will itself

I've read this Dark Prophecy a number of times and tried to analyze the very words.

"Broken Wolf", well, Perrin, Hopper, Boundless and Ituralde are the obvious suspects, but they really don't seem to fit in. Even Perrin isn't that big of a player yet; he isn't exactly as famous as the Dragon Reborn. Well, theoretically it could be Ituralde: for example, if he's given command over a large part of the forces of the Light, which then is annihilated in a big, decisive battle, sort of a Waterloo of Randland.

"Death", as in plain death or Moridin? I don't know.

And then, "consumed by the Midnight Towers", that could mean a number of things: killed by, turned to the dark side by [there are numerous ways to achieve this: by a Binding Chair, by a'dam or Domination Band, by the 13x13-method that seems to be in use at The Black Tower, by merging with Moridin and so on]. What happens if a Wolfbrother is killed by a Darkhound? Always thought Elyas would find out in the end, like it was foreshadowed, but it could happen to Perrin, too.

And finally: "his destruction" - as in "he's destroyed" or as in "he destroys". I don't know.

So, the conclusion is: I haven't made up my mind yet.

I'm decidedly undecided on this. I'm leaning toward Rand but I'm not convinced because of the Wolf part. The only others I can see as being the Broken Wolf are Lan and possibly, but much less likely, Perrin. IMO, there is no chance of the it being Ituralde, Bashere, Hopper, Boundless or Slayer.

well usually the meaning behind a wolf is someone with power or leadership so basically meaning a broken leader. Someone who has collapsed from power. I think it's Rand because it says the Broken Wolf will have his blood spilled and consumed by the Midnight Towers right? Well I guess if you believe the fusion of Moridin and Rand you could assume Moridin kills him then they become one

I think Perrin is NOT the broken wolf, just because Moridin and Grendal think he is. WOT characters are notorious for misguiding us with their opinions. Other than that I am really undecided, I think RJ has written an excellent prophecy, since I'm freak'in stumped.

Terez-I should have thought of a poll! *jealous* :tongue:

I think Perrin is NOT the broken wolf, just because Moridin and Grendal think he is.

My instincts tell me that this was never meant to be some great mystery and that the most straightforward answer is the correct one: It is Perrin.

A rather boring explanation, especially compared to Terez's, but I gotta go with my gut feeling.

• 2 weeks later...

After re-reading the prophecy I have to lean toward Rand as well. Mat is already mentioned (One Eyed Fool) as is Perrin (Fallen Blacksmith). Also in the last half of the prophecy the Broken Champion is mentioned and this seems to clearly be Rand. The similar phrasing, Broken Wolf-->Broken Champion, makes me associate them as the same person.

After re-reading the prophecy I have to lean toward Rand as well. Mat is already mentioned (One Eyed Fool) as is Perrin (Fallen Blacksmith). Also in the last half of the prophecy the Broken Champion is mentioned and this seems to clearly be Rand. The similar phrasing, Broken Wolf-->Broken Champion, makes me associate them as the same person.

Thats the issue, if you were going to refer to someone twice by different names it would be very different, you wont call him broken wolf and broken champion, on the other hand broken champion and first among vermin may work. You just wont see him called BROKEN twice.

Weird. What happened to the other Broken Wolf thread?

Good question. It's gone from the board as if it never existed. Balefire? *Looking in your direction Demandred*

It was deleted by the original poster. We have since changed the settings so this cannot happen again--posters may edit to remove their posts but they cannot delete entire threads. [We actually didn't know they could until now--the Admin pannel is huge, and we've only been a year on the IP boards, so random minute settings occaisionally surprise us]

I seem to remember the starter of the thread saying that he wished he had thought of making a poll. And then the discussion eventually drifted back to his thread, so maybe he thought it should be here instead since there's a poll? Oh well. We can just forget what arguments we made over there and make them again, right?

its obviously Noal/Jain Farstrider. He was the one who DIED in the MIDNIGHT TOWERS, holding off the fins so mat mor and tom could get the heck out of there, he ammited that Ishy/Morian(DEATH) has known him, this being what broke him. when news of his death spreads that would set sorrow in the hearts of men, specialy Rand seeing how the tales of Jain Farstrider was his fave. just dont know how it will bring fear or shake peoples will.

Archived