DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Importance of Slayer in Last Battle

Darksmoon

I am curious what the importance of Slayer is to the last battle and to the lights cause.

Gitara Sedai advised Luc to go to the Blight on a mission of importance to the survival of the world.

This is the same Gitara that send Tigraine to the Waste to become a maiden and foretold the Dragon was reborn and died.

So with that it seems that Luc going to the Blight and becoming Slayer is important for the light.

I have not seen anything that he has done so far that would be critical.

So what role will Slayer play in the last book? Will he somehow held Rand at the Last Battle?

Probably a role in the last book, but I would guess that he (and lots of other minor character/plotlines) do not necessarily have a role in the Last Battle, and if so only indirectly. There is much more at stake for how the world will look in the next Age than just the Last Battle. I would probably go as far as guessing that the Last Battle will probably be somewhat underwhelming with regards to its size and participants. I think there will be several very important battles fought and conflicts/plotlines resolved that has little or nothing to do with the Dark One.

If I was to make a guess, I'd say that he will probably be revealed to some of the major characters, or killed by one of them, but I doubt he will have a critical role in the Last Battle. Maybe the revelation of his identity will have an important effect for Rand/Lan/Galad?

If he does help the light, I do not think it will be intentional. Slayer is very clearly in Camp Bad Guys. I think his assistance will be something accidental, like most enactments of foretellings. An event such as Slayer accidentally killing a forsaken or dieing and being mistaken for Rand or Lan could be what satisfies the foretelling.

Gitara put so many balls in the air - saying the dragon has been born which got Moirane and Suian looking, sending Tigraine to the Waste to be a Maiden that I believe this has to have a great importance.

Perhaps it will be an accidental thing or perhaps it will somehow enable Rand to do a simlar merge with someone and satisfy the 'to live you must die'.

Tyr killed the hound of hell who guarded the underworld and then died of his wounds in the underworld. It's possible slayer will wound Rand on his way to the bore.

However, RJ liked to twist myths quite often. An example is, Tyr put his hand in Fenris's jaws to trick the wolf into being collared and chained and lost his hand for it. In the book Rand loses his hand to Semirhage who then later collars Rand with the domination band. Similar with a twist.

Edit to add: maybe since Luc is Rand's blood, it will be his blood that falls on the rocks of shayol ghul. Maybe the double soul thing that Slayer has going on will be the buffer. Who knows?

Can the throne pass through the first prince? Perhaps someone could have helped their claim in that manner, but the Lion throne is tied to a woman.

Morgase married to help her claim.

I'm guessing marrying the royal bloodline would be more effective than marrying the queens husband who is a foreigner from a country andor has fought before

After all there must have been many times a queen only had a male heir yet Successions are relatively rare

Can the throne pass through the first prince? Perhaps someone could have helped their claim in that manner, but the Lion throne is tied to a woman.

Morgase married to help her claim.

It is decided by who has the most blood ties to Ishara and then that person still needs to get the majority of votes from the Houses. This method has only been disputed four times leading to succession wars.

Galad and Rand are both Luc's nephews. I doubt Luc thinks much on Galad though. He evidently knows who Rand's mother is, somehow.

I too have wondered why it was Luc had to run off. Maybe without his leaving Tigraine wouldn't have gone? I don't know.

If it were me I wouldn't put Slayer on killing ****; I would have him taking out top notch officers and what not. I would probably start off with Gareth Bryne, given that he leads the TV forces and he is probably still well liked by the Andoran forces. And just go from there, take out the great captains and whatnot.

Perrin and the wolves will fight slayer in TAR and the real world. Slayer will shift back and forth, but Perrin and the wolves will be able to shift as well. He will not be able to run or hide.

That being said, Slayer is not living up to his name. Like all of the great potential assasins in WoT, he isn't doing much assasinating. He can shift in and out of the real world. Send him around to kill the top generals and key players. In a single day he could cross the entire wetlands and take out all the various Light-siders. Amerlyn? Pfft. Dead (yes she can enter TAR, but she won't know he is coming). Quen of Andor? Deader than dead. Anyone tied to Rand? Dead. Just run on down the line, phasing in and out of reality just long enough to stab a couple of people. In a single day, the Light is crippled and scared witless by this killer who cannot be seen or fought (except by Perrin).

Then you have the Soulless who could do the same thing (though their advantage is that there are many of them and so can be sent out through gateways, then sneak in to kill people).

A waste, really. But that has been discussed before.

Slayer, in my opinion, was merely a device to train Perrin up and get him to accept his role in TG. Perrin (or maybe Lan) will kill him, and that'll be that. There are too many super powerful and cool villains to handle in this book to give him more than a scene or two.

Slayer, in my opinion, was merely a device to train Perrin up and get him to accept his role in TG.

That plot line was entirely conceived by Brandon, it wasn't a part of RJ's plan.

Slayer has a more important role. He is mentioned in prophecy and Gitara thought Luc's fate was important to the LB.

Slayer, in my opinion, was merely a device to train Perrin up and get him to accept his role in TG. Perrin (or maybe Lan) will kill him, and that'll be that. There are too many super powerful and cool villains to handle in this book to give him more than a scene or two.

I couldn't disagree more. Slayer is clearly set to play an important role in the LB and was designed to do so from very early on. His character has multiple mythological parallels in various mythologies, he is given a prominent role in the first dark prophecy and as Barid mentioned Gitara Moroso foretold that he will be crucial to the LB.

Part of his role in the LB is outlined in the AMOL prologue which we can not discuss on this board.

As for who will kill him Perrin is the obvious candidate of course but his mythological parallels lead me to suspect that that honor might be split between at least two people. Perhaps he will be wounded in TAR by one person (likely Perrin) and finished off in the real world by another or the other way around.

I couldn't disagree more. Slayer is clearly set to play an important role in the LB and was designed to do so from very early on. His character has multiple mythological parallels in various mythologies, he is given a prominent role in the first dark prophecy and as Barid mentioned Gitara Moroso foretold that he will be crucial to the LB.

Part of his role in the LB is outlined in the AMOL prologue which we can not discuss on this board.

As for who will kill him Perrin is the obvious candidate of course but his mythological parallels lead me to suspect that that honor might be split between at least two people. Perhaps he will be wounded in TAR by one person (likely Perrin) and finished off in the real world by another or the other way around.

The bolded part is the only point in your post that I disagree with. I think that he'll continue to be a factor if he's only killed while in the flesh. He'll have to be killed in T'A'R' in order to be gone,

yes, once as Luc and once as Isam. I'm not sure on details but I believe both of Slayer's persona need to be killed to finish him off and since he can only switch when he steps in/out of TAR part of it will take place in TAR and the other part in real world.

One of the reasons I think so is because of strong mythological parallels between Slayer and Perun's (Perun is a well known parallel for Perrin) arch enemy who had several heads and could only be killed if all of the heads were cut off.

In The Lord of Chaos we have three interpretations to Gitara's foretelling regarding Luc. If I recall correctly, he had to go their because his destiny was there, because he will find the Dragon Reborn there, or because he is vitality for the Last Battle there. We know that he has orders to kill Rand; and we know that Perrin still has a "joker" card where he has to show up and save Rand. I wonder if those two are linked.

Archived