DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's 9 Miraculous Things....

raz311

Hi All

I am just doing my re-read and I came across the part where (I think) Nicola foretells Rand doing 9 miraculous things. Apart from the cleansing in WH, what other things was she referring to? Sorry if this was already discussed. I couldn't find it :)

Cheers

Gavin

"Ever since we found out she has the Foretelling, she's been Foretelling two or three times a day, to hear her tell it. Or rather, to hear Areina tell it. Nicola is smart enough to know everyone is aware she can't remember what she says when she Foretells, but Areina always seems to be there to hear and remember, and help her interpret. Some are the sort of thing anyone in the camp with half a brain and a credulous nature might think of--battles with the Seanchan or the Asha'man, an Amyrlin imprisoned, the Dragon Reborn doing nine impossible things, visions that might be Tarmon Gai'don or a bilious stomach--and the rest all just happen to indicate that Nicola ought to be allowed to go faster with her lessons, She's always too greedy for that. I think even most of the other novices have stopped believing her."

As you can see, the Aes Sedai believe she is foretelling as part of a plea for attention. I tend to believe the Aes Sedai are mistaken in this, as they have been before.

As for the nine impossible things, Rand has done quite a few things that could be deemed impossible, and is fated to do some impossible things. Whether or not these all could be considered impossible should be discussed.

Cleansing the taint from saidin is always the first one listed.

He has rediscovered Traveling.

He has reintegrated with Lews Therin.

He has accessed memories from a previous life, and from all of his previous lives.

He channeled a large amount of saidin, and practically single handedly saved Maradon from destruction.

He grabbed the Sword that could not be touched.

Aes Sedai follow him.

He apparantly has staved off Madness, or cured his own madness.

He controls the Aiel.

He has killed many of the forsaken.

He controlled the Eye of the World.

His banner lead the HotH to save Falme.

He is fated to restore the prison of the dark one.

He is fated to die and live again.

It appears he will unite all of the lands of Randland.

He will save the Aiel.

Obviously, I've listed more then 9 things, the merits of which should be discussed. Some of these things are deemed impossible by only a few, some are deemed impossible by all. Some do not feel as important as others. But this is a short list that I could think of off the top of my head.

He cleansed the Taint from Saidin.

He destroyed Shadar Logoth and Mashadar using two different evils to annihilate each other.

He channeled the TP while wearing a Domination Band.

He broke a cuendillar collar.

(These were listed on Linda's Thirteenth Depository blog)

He managed to get 3 girlfriends who don't mind sharing him between themselves. Quite a miracle.

This is obviously his biggest miracle. Either that or managing to not talk to two out of three of them after book 9, yet still having them as girlfriends.

Edited to add the last bit, and fix some spelling shenanigans .

He managed to get 3 girlfriends who don't mind sharing him between themselves. Quite a miracle.

This is obviously his biggest miracle. Either that or managing to not talk to two out of three of them after book 9, yet still having them as girlfriends.

Edited to add the last bit, and fix some spelling shenanigans .

Yeah its been what? Several months since he spoke to Aviendha or Elayne. This man is awesome

I think one of the nine has to be that he brought water to the Aiel Waste.

Also clearly one of the nine is that he only needs to sleep with each of the three said girlfriends like, once each. I mean. Talk about storing sex like a camel. Yeesh.

He's been with Min lots. She mentions "tiring him out" plenty of times

I think one of the nine has to be that he brought water to the Aiel Waste.

Also clearly one of the nine is that he only needs to sleep with each of the three said girlfriends like, once each. I mean. Talk about storing sex like a camel. Yeesh.

He cleansed the Taint from Saidin.

He destroyed Shadar Logoth and Mashadar using two different evils to annihilate each other.

He channeled the TP while wearing a Domination Band.

He broke a cuendillar collar.

(These were listed on Linda's Thirteenth Depository blog)

I completely agree with these.

I went back through my old list, and ranked them from most impossible to least impossible. Also, I wrote pros and cons in favor of a feat being impossible. Keep in mind that there is a book left, and Rand can do some more impossible.

Impossibles:

1. Die and Live again

2. Cleanse the Taint from Saidin

3. Re-prison the Dark One (Pros: Amazing feat; Cons: Everyone expects him to)

4. Recovered from Madness (Pros: Everyone assumes that a male channeller will go mad)

5. Destroyed Cuendillar ( Domination Band and eventually Dark One Seals )

6. Brought Water to the Waste ( Seriously, an amazing feat when you read it )

7. He has accessed memories from a previous life, and from all of his previous lives. ( Pros: Pretty amazing, Cons: Apparently other mad men talk to there previous selves )

8. Channeled the True Power ( possibly without the DO permission )

9. Rediscovering Traveling. ( Cons: Everyone knew Travelling is possible, just not how to do it. )

Near Impossibles:

He channeled a large amount of saidin, and practically single handedly saved Maradon from destruction. ( Not impossible, just impressive. Possible by many with the Choedan Kal )

He grabbed the Sword that could not be touched. ( Inevitable as he is the dragon reborn)

Aes Sedai follow him. ( Again, not impossible, just unlikely )

He controls the Aiel. ( See above.)

He has killed many of the forsaken. (Impressive, but feels a lot more possible when you realize they are human)

He controlled the Eye of the World. (Impressive, but it was designed to be used)

His banner lead the HotH to save Falme. (Definitely a unique situation..)

It appears he will unite all of the lands of Randland. (Not impossible, possibly inevitable due to the Seanchan)

He will save the Aiel. (Not impossible)

Does anyone have a different list?

Archived