DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Importance of Nynaeve and Egwene

Darksmoon

In the Great Hunt Liandrin kidnaps Nynaeve and Egwene and plans to give them over to Seachan soliders to be sent across the Ocean.

How does the shadow know that Nynaeve and Egwene are important? Is it just that they come from Rand's village?

It just seems like there is more to it. Obviously Nynaeve and Egwene have both become huge characters but at this point in the Great Hunt they really hadn't done much. What role do both have yet to play?

If Ishamael or any of the forsaken are Dreamers or Dreamwalkers, its possible that they saw Nyneave's and Egwene's instances of assisting Rand. Nyneave helps Rand cleanse the male half of the source. Egwene becomes the Amyrlin seat and has the potential to help him. Robbing Rand of their assistance would be a great plan for the Forsaken.

I would suspect it was in order to cause Rand pain. It would seem that through the majority of the books it has been the objective of the shadow to inflict as much pain to Rand as possible in order to create Darth Rand. I dont think anyone on the dark side has anymore clairvoyance on the future than the lightsiders, at least not enough to know exactly what Nyv and Eggy were going to accomplish that early in the story...JMO

i think it was mainly to cause Rand pain because they were from his village.

But it would have the secondary effect of eliminating two potentially very strong channellers from the light's side. Nyn turns out to be a Level 18 and Egwene turns out to be a Level 15 (I am not sure if this is clear in their potential at the time of tGH, i am not sure how accurately potential predicts eventual strength), and as can be seen from the list, these strength levels are uncommon http://13depository.blogspot.ca/2009/02/saidar-strength-ranking.html

In the Great Hunt Liandrin kidnaps Nynaeve and Egwene and plans to give them over to Seachan soliders to be sent across the Ocean.

How does the shadow know that Nynaeve and Egwene are important? Is it just that they come from Rand's village?

It just seems like there is more to it. Obviously Nynaeve and Egwene have both become huge characters but at this point in the Great Hunt they really hadn't done much. What role do both have yet to play?

Yup. I think it's more than they're his village buddies. Moiraine and Min say they're tied up with what Rand has to do. As it gets closer to the end, I think Nynaeve definitely has something to deal with either healing or resurrecting him - she already helped him to get rid of the taint from saidan. That alone is enough of a reason to make her super important - Egwene.... I'm not sure. Ask me in a couple of month when I'm done reading the books through again. ;)

i believe it has been mentioned that Ishy might be a Dreamer and also there might be dark prophecies indeed about Nyn and Egwene

when the braid woman is braidless the end will be near....(silly joke)

I think it is more that they are two of the most powerful Aes Sedai found in many decades with Elayne being the pride of the Red Ajah for Eliada finding her, and Nynaeve for being brought in by Moiraine of the Blue. Liandrin doesn't care for anything but the black and does as her master tells her and takes them to Suroth.

I think it is more that they are two of the most powerful Aes Sedai found in many decades with Elayne being the pride of the Red Ajah for Eliada finding her, and Nynaeve for being brought in by Moiraine of the Blue. Liandrin doesn't care for anything but the black and does as her master tells her and takes them to Suroth.

Elayne wasn't supposed to be at Falme. They were just trying to hurt Rand by collaring his childhood friends and make them kick his behind.

Liandrin says something about him failing if they are sent away, but who knows why. Without Egwene the Tower wouldn't support Rand in TG, and without Nyn the taint would still be there and the world would still be in the long summer. If Ishmael had a vision saying the world depended on those two being free, any number of things they have done could tip the scales one way or the other.

Ishamael is a dreamwalker at least and probably a foreteller. There are about a dozen things done by Nyn that should have worked for the Shadow but were foiled, and Eggy has a few as well. It is clear that Nyn atleast is one of the most important people in the world when it comes to ruining the Shadow's plans and if Ishamael had a dream or foretelling regarding women foiling his plans he could have glimpsed their faces and known them. A specific important event isn't needed for those two at this date, they have done enough to warrant saying that the unknown prophecy Ishy had has come true. Unless more details come to light that is.

Well we know Eggy met Isshy in the TAR, and he saw her face. So he at least knew she was a threat.

I don't think he saw her as a threat. If he had thought so there should have been nothing in the way of killing her. Afterall unlike Mat, Perrin and Rand she is not ta'veren. And there were quite a few occasions. All those times the terrible trio got themselves kidnapped and then there were Aran'gar and Messa'ana. However, each and every time they tried to either use her as bait for Rand or to manipulate her, never to just take her out. And it's the same with Nynaeve and Elayne.

If we go back to Rand's PoV there, he felt "threads in his life, important threads" pulling him back to Falme. And Ishmael's orders to Liandrin to send Nynaeve and Egwene to Suroth cannot be simply a ploy to shake up Rand. Ishmael's quote stated that the two that will help him will be collared and enslaved. He didn't say the two from your village or your sweetheart and wisdom. The reference was to their importance to Rand.

Rand's feeling of threads pulling him to Falme coupled with Ishmael's statement indicate that the two are central to Rand's success in TG.

If we go back to Rand's PoV there, he felt "threads in his life, important threads" pulling him back to Falme. And Ishmael's orders to Liandrin to send to send Nynaeve and Egwene to Suroth cannot be simply a ploy to shake up Rand. Ishmael's quote stated that the two that will help him will be collared and enslaved. He didn't say the two from your village or your sweetheart and wisdom. The reference was to their importance to Rand.

Rand's feeling of threads pulling him to Falme coupled with Ishmael's statement indicate that the two are central to Rand's success in TG.

I totally agree.

If we go back to Rand's PoV there, he felt "threads in his life, important threads" pulling him back to Falme. And Ishmael's orders to Liandrin to send Nynaeve and Egwene to Suroth cannot be simply a ploy to shake up Rand. Ishmael's quote stated that the two that will help him will be collared and enslaved. He didn't say the two from your village or your sweetheart and wisdom. The reference was to their importance to Rand.

Nyn's portion could already have been filled, but it is unlikely anything Eggy has done has had enough of a benefit to Rand's success to warrant that kind of link.

Nyn's portion could already have been filled, but it is unlikely anything Eggy has done has had enough of a benefit to Rand's success to warrant that kind of link.

But Rand went to the WT and asked for Egwene's help. So he thinks he needs her to fulfill certain tasks for him to help him win TG. And the many threads important to his life were Min, Elayne, Nynaeve, and Egwene. In fact, reading that whole thing, he specifically asked Artur Hawkwing and the HotH to rescue Egwene for him. It may have been love; but it is also her importance to him along with the other three women in Falme.

Archived