DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

List parts of WOT series that you found boring...

lionheart

WoT is a long series. With 13 books so far, you are bound to find some parts of the story boring/ slow/ unnecessary.

Why don't we all share the parts that we would skip on subsequent reading.

Even without thinking, I can say that part which I found boring is from tFoH. When Nynaeve and Elayne travel from Toman Head to Salidar. (Ch.8 onwards)

I just can't bear the two of them. that part I have always skipped whenever I have read the series again.

please share your thoughts.

thanks

For me, nothing had me less interested than a run of chapters in Crossroads of Twilight pertaining to Elayne and Andor's political situation. The initial part of the above mentioned section (actually Tanchico rather than Toman Head) would be next on the list, though. I don't even dislike Elayne's character, but she's been involved in a few somewhat weak sections.

Well I would agree those passage tend to have less action and heroism or build up to action and heroism but the change of tone help to build a kind of tension , and it give an appreciation of how certain woman fight against the shadow .

I read those moment "faster" but at third reading I really saw them in a new light . Not that my opinion matters for that fact.

Luca's circus first time was boring , yet I liked Uno Nomesta part .

I skip anything to do with faile and perrin he just complains about being a blacksmith and not right for this the whole time his parents die doesnt think about them after that and just worries more about not being a blacksmith

Mat - whine, whine, complain, complain - gets old fast. Particularly the drawn out death by water toture that was Ebou Dar after the Bowl was recovered. And then the neverending step by step crawl away from the city in Luca's entourage. Never met a man that thinks about his clothes so much, and the clothes of every woman in the freakin' show. People on the message boards complain and complain about Elayne's baths, or Nynaeave's clothing fetish, but I bet a word tally would prove Mat spends more time talking, thinking and worrying about his clothes and then planning for and carrying out dressing - with the aid of a serving man of course. Bah - Jordan never failed to include a prominent gay or bi male character like people suggest, fandom could just never see the forest for the trees.

- Children of the Light: totally hate their plotline, the books would have been better without them.

- Elayne's succession plotline, the whole flaming thing from the explosion of the gateway to the coronation, would have preferred a cut by at least 80%.

- Nynaeve, Elayne, Thom, Juilin trip from Tanchico to Salidar, would have preferred about 80% less words.

- Faile rescue: would have preferred a cut by at least 90%.

- Valan Luca's Menagerie: Would have preferred another excuse to slow down the plot.

- Arad Doman Rand Plan: so disastrous and dark that it was painful to read.

- Masema Dagar: waste of time and words

- Sea Folk: Other than transporting grain (which could have been done with Traveling), what have they done to Rand?

Firstly, I have to say that nothing in TFoH bored me (best book, IMO), and that includes Nynaeve/Elayne's storyline with the traveling menegarie.

Secondly, I've also never been bored by Egwene's storylines. I find them rather interesting, especially in TGS.

Now, ones that do bore me:

-Most of Perrin's storylines after TSR, even some in TOM. In particular, the books long Shaido story arc that was unnecessary and a total bore.

-The Bowl of Winds storyline. Ugh. It has some good parts, but for the most part it drags on too long and felt like filler so that Nynaeve/Elayne and Mat had something to do in ACoS.

-Most of Crossroads of Twilight. I honestly don't even remember what it was about.

-And most of Gawyn's plots period. And Galad's. And a lot of the POVs from Morgasse and the Children.

Perrin's is the one I dislike the most. There was no point spreading it over so many books. Elayne and the winning of the throne is another but there is some payoff there, even if the end of it was extremely anticlimatic. Skipping the Egwene and Gawyn 'will they won't they' crap in ToM also makes the world a better place.

Perrin's is the one I dislike the most. There was no point spreading it over so many books. Elayne and the winning of the throne is another but there is some payoff there, even if the end of it was extremely anticlimatic. Skipping the Egwene and Gawyn 'will they won't they' crap in ToM also makes the world a better place.

while you're correct, perrin becomes a better character after his stuff is done while elayne only gets worse :(

I think BS misinterperated the notes on Elayne (though this is only an assuption sicne I haven't seen them) the second 'I am immortal so I can do what I like' scene bothered me alot since she had seen that the could still be hurt dispite the viewing once before. I think she will be alot better in aMoL.

Mat - whine, whine, complain, complain - gets old fast. Particularly the drawn out death by water toture that was Ebou Dar after the Bowl was recovered. And then the neverending step by step crawl away from the city in Luca's entourage. Never met a man that thinks about his clothes so much, and the clothes of every woman in the freakin' show. People on the message boards complain and complain about Elayne's baths, or Nynaeave's clothing fetish, but I bet a word tally would prove Mat spends more time talking, thinking and worrying about his clothes and then planning for and carrying out dressing - with the aid of a serving man of course. Bah - Jordan never failed to include a prominent gay or bi male character like people suggest, fandom could just never see the forest for the trees.

In the audiobooks, Michael Kramer has a, ah, very memorable voice for Mat's bodyservant Nerim. I could only chuckle every time hearing his lines.

I honestly cant say there is any part of he books that bores me, its all pretty good. The only parts i dislike and skip through, and its because i can NOT stand her, is Elida. When she is in the tower as Amyrlin. All she does is mess everything up and is an overall pain. The only good parts of the Elida story is when Alviahren punishes her, when Egwene argues with her and when, finally, the Seachan capture her. And even that last part is painful because she knows Traveling and gives it to the Seachan. *sigh* nothing but a screw up that woman

I honestly cant say there is any part of he books that bores me, its all pretty good. The only parts i dislike and skip through, and its because i can NOT stand her, is Elida. When she is in the tower as Amyrlin. All she does is mess everything up and is an overall pain. The only good parts of the Elida story is when Alviahren punishes her, when Egwene argues with her and when, finally, the Seachan capture her. And even that last part is painful because she knows Traveling and gives it to the Seachan. *sigh* nothing but a screw up that woman

Far from me to defend Elaida, but people need to keep a few things in perspective. She has a BA member forcing her to give conflicting orders and fostering chaos, a forsaken in the WT mucking things up and also has Fain's influence exasperating her worst characteristics. So realistically many of the things going wrong are not totally her fault. Having said that...I hate her too.

Circus scenes.

Perrin's Faile-rescue plotline.

All of Crossroads of Twilight.

Parts of the Bowl of Winds saga.

RJ really needed a better editor overall to cut out all the chaff.

The problem there is CoT was a huge set up for the pay off in KoD. Totally agree that RJ has parts that could have been less wordy but there isn't a ton of needless work in there. Everything is so interwoven that mere cuts wouldn't work.

Circus scenes.

The problem there is CoT was a huge set up for the pay off in KoD. Totally agree that RJ has parts that could have been less wordy but there isn't a ton of needless work in there. Everything is so interwoven that mere cuts wouldn't work.

I'm not saying that all of the above should have been cut completely. Simply that they were too bloated and dragged on far too long and became increasingly tiresome as a result. The entirety of CoT being used as a setup is a terrible idea because it means you've essentially only read half a book. In my first read-through I actually stopped reading the series for about a year because CoT was horrendously dull and nothing was happening. If RJ deliberately set CoT up that way then I think he blundered a bit.

I've heard some more cynical opinions that RJ was intentionally lengthening things out to keep his gravy train running and bring in more money. Personally I doubt that was the reason. I think RJ himself didn't realise how long and drawn out his later plotlines were becoming. It's the same thing with Robert Jordan insisting that AMoL was going to be finished in one book. Looking at all the stuff that's happened in TGS and ToM, it's clear that that was never going to happen.

It's especially jarring when you go back and read the earlier books in the series and see just how tight and self-contained they all are. I think as the series expanded RJ lost control of his own story and needed a good, competent editor to reign him in.

Mat. Contrary to popular opinion, I dislike his character and his PoV. He whines about EVERYTHING, about how he isn't a bloody lord (he's worse than Perrin sometimes), about how he isn't going to bow and scrape before Elayne, etc. I just skip his parts. Not worth reading. I felt BS was completely right in his tone for Mat. He thinks he's funny, but actually he really isn't, in my opinion.

Perrin was bad whilst he was trying to get Faile back, but otherwise he's quite ok.

Tuon is a self-serving idiot in TGS and ToM. That is all.

To cut: Valan Luca's circus and Perrin's chase of the Shaido.

Just finished Dragon Reborn, and I've often thought there should have been another way to get Mat from Tar Valon to Tear without him "delivering a letter" and "stopping a murderer" and "ungratefull women".

What I disagree on, is the cutting of the political consolidation by Elayne. I've always gotten the feeling it's a bit rushed.

- Sea Folk: Other than transporting grain (which could have been done with Traveling), what have they done to Rand?

Saved the world from dying before reaching the LB by helping to fix the weather?

That favor was done to Nynaeve and Elayne at Aviendha's suggestion. Their service to the long-sought Coramoor has been almost nil.

Circus scenes.

The same editor is editing Brandon ..... Harriet, RJ's wife.

Archived