DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

List parts of WOT series that you found boring...

lionheart

He thinks he's funny, but actually he really isn't, in my opinion.

I have to mention that in the first eleven books, there are very, very few instances where Mat is actually trying to be funny or even thinks he said or did something funny. The humorous parts from his chapters are largely accidental. He's able to push people's buttons without realizing it, and the fact that sometimes the people on the receiving end see that he doesn't even know it makes it even funnier. The fact that Brandon made him try to be funny all the time is a very large part of his self-admitted problems writing Mat.

Yet humor is subjective and you're certainly welcome to your opinion of it. I take it you also dislike Nyneave's chapters before TGS?

Tuon is a self-serving idiot in TGS and ToM. That is all.

Her character was greatly diminished by the last two books, I agree.

I'm not saying that all of the above should have been cut completely. Simply that they were too bloated and dragged on far too long and became increasingly tiresome as a result. The entirety of CoT being used as a setup is a terrible idea because it means you've essentially only read half a book. In my first read-through I actually stopped reading the series for about a year because CoT was horrendously dull and nothing was happening. If RJ deliberately set CoT up that way then I think he blundered a bit.

CoT and KoD should be viewed essentially as one book that was cut in half. I agree that he probably would have done things much differently in retrospect but at the time he mentioned to cut it at a different place with more action(which is what he originally planned) would have required another half year of writing and produced a thousand page + book. In addition he tried a new approach with CoT having all the major sections beginning on the same day which caused big problems. He regretted having that structure but the book was already late and he couldn't go back and scrap it.

Nynaeve and Elayne in Salidar, LoC could've been cut down. I guess the whole Forsaken as a prisoner thing was already done (and Asmodean was kinda cool, unlike Mogh) so I wasn't really into it. And the bowl plot streched too long. Mat's prespective stopped me from wanting to skip over it like the circus plot. Mat and Brigitte.

Circus scenes.

Perrin's Faile-rescue plotline.

All of Crossroads of Twilight.

Parts of the Bowl of Winds saga.

RJ really needed a better editor overall to cut out all the chaff.

The same editor is editing Brandon ..... Harriet, RJ's wife.

I see. That explains rather a lot.

-Anything with any of the Female POVs in the last couple of RJ books.

But the absolute worst was the butchering that RJ took to Perrin. From thw start of the books Perrin was my favorite character. I found myself looking forward to his POVs. Until the section of the series in which Faile gets captured. I was jus happy that BS brought Perrin back to where he should be.

-Anything with any of the Female POVs in the last couple of RJ books.

But the absolute worst was the butchering that RJ took to Perrin. From thw start of the books Perrin was my favorite character. I found myself looking forward to his POVs. Until the section of the series in which Faile gets captured. I was jus happy that BS brought Perrin back to where he should be.

Archived