DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

How One Might Seal The Bore

Vassili

Theoretically, worst come to worst, Rand could seal away the DO right now. With Lews Therin's memories and guiding the Asha'man, he could simply recreate the 7 seals as he did 3000 years ago. Sealing away the DO, at least for another 3000+ years, is not the issue, its sealing the Bore without creating a new Taint. And to this I offer a possible solution that doesn't rely on Dues Ex Machina or sealing the DO with- the DO.

Throughout the series we have read channelers being described as being a conduit; the term "channeler" itself implies this. When the One Power is used, the Power originates from the Source, passes through the channeler, and then manifests itself in a weave with tanginble affects.

Lews Therin says the reason the DO was able to taint Saidin is because The Hundred Companions touched Saidin directly to Him. By "touching" this can only refer to the weave they were using to create the seals. Therefore the only way the DO could reach Saidin from the weave is by passing through the Hundred Companions. The Hundred Companions were special: while many men take years to go insane, they were driven to it instantly. This can be explained by the fact that they channeled the entire Taint instantaneously and going in the reverse direction. Most channelers experienced the Taint seperately from the DO. To them, it was second hand. The Hundred Companions got it straight from the manufacturer so to speak.

Essentially I am saying that for one brief instant the Taint traveled "upstream" along the flow of the Power in much the same way a flame can travel up a stream of gasoline.

If Rand is to prevent another taint, he has to either 1) use something other than Saidin or 2) break the path between whatever weave he uses to seal the Bore and the True Source. If you want to know how to do that, you need only go back to tEotW.

We know that the One Power can be gathered and stored in the physical realm. The "well" ter'angreal is one example and the Eye of the World is another. Wells cannot store enough energy to do much at all, but a resevoir of the Power in liquid form can be as large as its creators make it. The only limitations we know of on creating a liquid reserve of the Power are that Saidin and Saidar must both be used.

Liquid reserves of the Power also have no apparent limitations on the rate they can be used. The Eye of the World contained enough Power to free the DO or seal him away again (according to Moiraine anyway) and yet Rand channels nearly all of it in the space of a few minutes.

Putting it all together: 37 Asha'man and 35 Aes Sedai could work together to create two large pools of Saidin and Saidar directly at Shayol Ghul. Rand, linked with another, could then channel this power and use it to seal the Bore in a similar manner to how he did last time. The addition of Saidar and only one channeler creating the final piece (The Hundred Companions made the seals piece-wise and joined them together) would make this new seal much stronger. And more importantly, when the DO tries to taint the Source he wont be able to reach it- the Power used will have already been gathered and sequastered prior to making the weave.

The catch: the DO might not be able to reach through Rand and touch Saidin, but he will still be able to reach inside Rand. It is unlikely Rand would survive the encounter, and if he did, he would be as insane as the Hundred Companions before him.

I think the Eye of the World is made with exactly this line of thoughts. It's not coincedence the Eye could be found in the Blight.

It would work, though it would be hard to make without being attacked with hordes of Trollocs and Dreadlords.

But the real problem is that it would seal the Bore, while it has to be healed.

It's a nice theory. I must note that the female channelet linked with Rand would suffer the infection too. The other points you make are pretty neat.

I find 2 possible problems:

1) They don't know how to create a Well. This could be discovered by Elayne as it may be similar to creating a Well ter'angreal, in which she's the best of the Age. Or maybe Lewis Therin remembers. We can't assure this to be true so we don't know if your theory would be possible. Not saying its wrong, I find it very possible, but still we can't know if that knowledge will reemerge.

2) If the creation of the Well was possible, we still don't know how big they can be made or if they are totally isolated from the TS.

Again, I like it.

I think the Eye of the World is made with exactly this line of thoughts. It's not coincedence the Eye could be found in the Blight.

It would work, though it would be hard to make without being attacked with hordes of Trollocs and Dreadlords.

But the real problem is that it would seal the Bore, while it has to be healed.

About the healing thing...I'm not sure that affects the theory.

We know Rand will be using a different method, because it will create a perfect seal, but that doesn't mean they won't use Wells, because whatever mechanics they use to seal the DO, the prevention against the counterattack is still there.

There is a major error in your theory.

The one power cannot seal the bore. It's worthless. Lews therin tried it and failed 3000 years. He laid a patch on the bore and it cost him his sanity.

The bore can only be sealed by it's contents i.e the pattern itself. ofcourse it cant do so at the moment because the DO is interefering with it.

If the one power is to be used it will be in such a way as to repel the DO and push him away from the bore

If the one power is to be used it will be in such a way as to repel the DO and push him away from the bore

Don't tell him the theory is wrong :( His main point is the use of Wells as protection against the taint and that still applies even if they only use the OP to push the DO away.

I have an idea how the Bore can be sealed. Use Fain/Mordeth as the buffer touching the DO, similar to the Cleansing of Saidin at Shadar Logoth and to a lesser extent the two wounds in Rand's side. Thematically fulfilling Fain's role as a Gollum like character and evil canceling evil.

sealing the bore is simple, line the aiel up, tell them one at a time to scream the word seal as you have loial pick them up and throw them as hard as he can at shayol ghul. (lmao) once you hit around 200k screaming aiel, it must be sealed.=P hey at 200k aiel you are left with a remnant of a remnant, works for me ;) (i'm stupid, not that stupid, i thought it was a fun joke though, so i'll post it and take the hate)

haha, I thought that was a nice joke to, I think that the theory will be the same as Lews Therin except this time with women to make it stronger, since everything amazing is done with men and women, a buffer type thing, and some special thing that will happen that I do not know yet.

This is a good question.......A better question would be......How did the bore get completely healed after the last turning? Did the COL before LTT somehow gain the ability to recreate the Creator's work? Or did the Creator intervene and reseal the DO?

This is a good question.......A better question would be......How did the bore get completely healed after the last turning? Did the COL before LTT somehow gain the ability to recreate the Creator's work? Or did the Creator intervene and reseal the DO?

Getting it completely heald is whtat's going to happen on aMoL. You could argue that a hole in the pattern can only be "healed" with the pattern itself, but as Saidin and Saidar together are the essence of the Creator himself, I think that's how it will be done. Using some protection to prevent the taunt. A buffer, as is commonly said, or a Well as the creator of this post suggested. Who knows?

Or did the Creator intervene and reseal the DO?

nterview: Oct 12th, 1996

ACOS Signing Report - Michael Martin (Paraphrased)

Question

The Creator's "Inability" To Act On His Creation

Having encountered a similar "theology" in Donaldson's Covenant series, I have been quite curious why the Creator can't act on His own world. It didn't seem to make sense, except as a plot device.

Robert Jordan

RJ answered this question. His thesis was this: A perfect Creator should create a perfect creation. To act, miraculously or no, on this world, would be tantamount to acknowledging imperfection in Himself. So, when humanity screwed things up, they've been left on their own to "patch" things up. :-)

MICHAEL MARTIN

This sheds a LOT of light on some things in Randland. First, there will not be any final expiation of evil (i.e. Book of Revelation in Christianity). What we have is an infinite cycle ("Wheel") of the struggle of light and darkness. The best to be hoped for is an eternal balance, rather than some final, complete victory (for good). This bothers me on several fronts, not the least that evil can win and good can't.

Also note that this really helps explain Fel's ramblings in Lord of Chaos. The sealing, Bore and all that will just cycle endlessly.

Interview: Aug 27th, 1999

Melbourne Film Festival - Raf Kaplan (Paraphrased)

Question

Someone asked him about the Creator.

Robert Jordan

He gave the distinct impression that he wouldn't even contemplate having the Creator step in, nor is there any real Creator worship, because there is no need, the effects of the Creator are all around the citizens of Randland. I believe he's said that much previously. He quoted Terry Pratchett (from Mort, I think) regarding the way belief works.

Interview: Jan 18th, 2003

COT Signing Report - Tallis (Paraphrased)

Robert Jordan

Rand has no direct connection with the Creator. The Creator is completely removed from the world; aside from...creating...the Pattern, he does nothing else whatsoever to influence anything.

There are many more...

The healing of the Bore will not be entirely complete. In a way, the DO will have to be able to leak a tiny bit of True Power into the world. Just enough to be noticed by Beidomon and Mierin, so that they would want to tap into that Power.

It is interesting that RJ said the Creator didn't take part because he felt doing so would acknowledge his creation wasn't perfect. It is kind of disturbing to think that the source of all Good would be crippled by a vice like Pride. I found Lews Therin's musings on the Creator to make more sense than that and for some reason be more palatable.

It is interesting that RJ said the Creator didn't take part because he felt doing so would acknowledge his creation wasn't perfect. It is kind of disturbing to think that the source of all Good would be crippled by a vice like Pride. I found Lews Therin's musings on the Creator to make more sense than that and for some reason be more palatable.

You're giving some thing for certain when they aren't.

"he felt doing so would acknowledge his creation wasn't perfect"

I think this statment means that the world is just as the Creator wanted it to be.

Check this thread.

PD: Particularily my last post in it, if correct, would make it clear. But even if I'm just dreaming when thinking that way, it may be possible that I speak true just changing my PoV of the Creator to being an individual being as it is widely assumed. He just wants that struggle for life, against the Shadow, to keep men on the right way (this is an expression, I don't know if it's correc in english sorry).

Personally I think the bore will not be sealed/covered or mended but closed.

I consider that the bore is a sort of a gateway boring through the pattern... the descriptions of the bore and creating gateways are too similar for it not to be. If the DO is somehow keeping the gateway open so he can touch the world this would explain the bore and how simply patching it will not work. but if the DO was stopped from keeping the gateway open forcing him to stop that will close the bore as if it never was there

How?...well I have no idea but it prob has somethgin to do with Rand weilding "light"; callandor and whatever Moirane knows.

If the Creator does not intervene, that must mean that He has provided everything needed for the people of Randland to Heal the bore. At the top of the list of possibilities, bearing in mind that the Bore is a hole in the Pattern, I would put three people who have been spun out by the Wheel to bend the Pattern around them..

I'm in the camp that believes that the Power cannot be used directly to seal the Bore, though it was used to create it. The buffer/well theory is nice (use Callendor's unbuffered nature to create a well of on heard of power, seperate for the source, then use that to touch the DO - but LTT has stated that the Power cannot be used to seal the Bore. I think this is where the Wheel (in the form of the 3 ta'vern) will come into play. There will be a choice - Matt - as to what direction to go, power or re-weaving. They will decide on re-weaving, and in the T'A'R/reality blend way Perrin and Nyn will work together to "Heal" the pattern while Strike Force Rand (the power based team) creates a massive diversion to draw the DO's attention away from the Healing of the Pattern.

Has anyone or RJ or BS actually wrote down... what is the Dark One???? we know it is not natural as it is like a parasite to Randland - and that it disurbs the Creators world.

so it is not a person or a creature (not sure - other wise LTT could have given it a back handed slap) is it a living thing or a force of nature??... is it an excuse to do bad things?

is the Dark One actually evil or just misunderstood? haha

The Dark One appeared on the moment of Creation and only the Creator himself is his equal. Call it whatever you may, but he's a deity. I don't think he can be killed at all. He just can be maintained out of the Pattern.

Has anyone or RJ or BS actually wrote down... what is the Dark One???? we know it is not natural as it is like a parasite to Randland - and that it disurbs the Creators world.

so it is not a person or a creature (not sure - other wise LTT could have given it a back handed slap) is it a living thing or a force of nature??... is it an excuse to do bad things?

is the Dark One actually evil or just misunderstood? haha

Thus spake RJ:

http://www.theorylan...ain.php?i=66#13

Perhaps the true power, as the essense of the DO will be used to touch the DO while the one power is also used to do the sealing. Perhaps this is the 3 become one. Of course that could also refer somehwo to the 3 taverene.

I still think that TP can't be used against it's source in any damaging way. Could be possible to...make a buffer with it? Don't know. I don't have evidence I just don't like the idea of TP against DO.

• 3 months later...

The pattern itself is the DO's prison. Created by the Creator, via the Wheel of Time.. While the DO is touching the pattern (thanks to Lanfear) it cannot repair the threads of the pattern that are currently ripped from existence by the DO.... The WoT itself has repaired the damage each and every time this age has come in the past. It is the only known device of the Creator left to the world/existence that can make a whole and complete pattern/prison...

I'm not sure exactly how the bore will be sealed but, here's what we know:

1. Rand has to do it;

2. Rand has to use Callandor;

3. Callandor needs to be used with two channeling chicks - preferably cute, in case they're the last ones Rand ever sees;

4. Min thinks that part of Callandor's flaw will be to leave Rand exposed to some sort of attack;

5. Rand's blood will fall on the rocks of Shayol Ghul (could mean his blood - could be at SG or the BT - might possibly by Galad or Slayer)

What I do know is - I actually hope that Fain is not a part of the sealing, even though I've often thought he will be. Because, he's supposed to be an aberration in the pattern, thus, there has to be a way to seal the bore without him.

Archived