DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who Series 7

Emperor

Why do you think so?

A "town called mercy " and "the power of three" are in truth designed to explore the relationship between the doctors and it's companion ; explaining how the doctors need is companion as moral compass .

I won't go into detail but both stories like depth and trade realism for cheap drama, and cheap action , in previous episode the story was expanded , character explored , and situation explained . Such as it is In a "Town called mercy" they tried to duplicate a western movie in 45 min , it don't work , the doctors feel really awkward and the episode is just too short , event fail into each other and the conclusion missed it's point .

In "the power of three" well it is "Army of Ghosts" and "doomsday " put into tiny box and fitted into 45 min , again they don't let the event the baddie or the good guys fulfill themselves .

Exactly like "Army of Ghost" harmless box pops out of nowhere and stand there for a years doing nothing , at the end of the episode they start killing people , there is two guys with weird mouth who kidnap people . There only use is to get Rory and is father into a spaceship . The doctors find them , suddenly a hologram appeared says humanity is a pest who need killing than disappear . A minute later the doctors , magically learn to control the ship , uses the box through the ships interface to reanimated the victim of previous box's and destroy the ships . Nothing is explain , not how he took control of the ship nor why did boxes got here .

Before the episode is over we know Amy and Rory love travelling with the doctor and that Rory's father gave is blessing for them to go save world , that's about it .

Frankly those left a bad aftertaste , they used to have dept in their episode , they explored Sci-fi not merely use it to make nice CGI effect .

Edit : I agree with Thorum they answer that question , well for one I didn't need that answer I know why I would love to be a companion since "bad wolf"

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh. Damn wikipedia, you are not very reliable.

Wikipedia has its uses, but it is no substitute for an obsessed fan.

I think A Town Called Mercy worked quite well, though could have used a bit more time. Power of Three had some interesting ideas, but they never really capitalised on any of them. A race who were myths even to the Time Lords? Of no consequence. The Doctor staying with his companions? Didn't really do anything with it (they did more with a similar idea back in The Lodger). The deaths of millions? The new head of UNIT? Nothing really worked as well as it could have.

Yeah, well, I was absolutely bawling. I'm definitely going to miss Rory and Amy.

I actually quite liked all of series 7 so far, but then, I'm a character girl, any old plot will do me, so eps with character development have me happy, but David Tennant last few episodes were absolutely packed with Dr/Companion relationships and Dr angst, so we probably don't need as much character development as we do plot anymore.

It does feel a bit like they're rushing at the moment though, I would have loved for the cube ep to talk about the Shakri some more, or make there more of a bad guy. It was a bit quick for my taste, but that scene between Amy and the Dr was very cute.

I was very very scared that the angels were going to be completely overdone, but they were tastefully used I think in this circumstance. As long as they don't come back again for a long time at least, then I'm done.

Looooove the Statue of Liberty!!! Did anyone see that meme thingo that went around ages back where it implied that the Statue of Liberty was an angel?

Overall, I liked the episode. It was well done and the end was touching.

Side note, I don't find angels that scary except for the stalking part. Send you back in time? Sure you'll miss your friends, family and modern conveniences but depending on how far back, you can use your fore knowledge and go play the stocks and gamble on sports. You could live a life of luxury.

Bizarrely I normally find the Angels the scariest of all the Doctors foes. They lost something this time with the chattering and scuttling (for want of a better word), they scare me because you don't see them move. And I know that they don't kill you, and we've actually seen a few people have happy lives in the past, but the idea of losing all those connections...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I am really looking forward to the rest of the season. It looks like the question will be answered in the new year. I also agree that the Daleks will still be extremely dangerous. With them not know the Doctor, the gloves come off the next time the Daleks meet the Doctor, and then they will become the monsters I was terrified by when I was 7!!!!!

Archived