DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Doctor Who Series 7

Emperor

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They're on BBC America in the US with a few hours after they air in UK/Aus. Also on the bbc website if you happen to have a UK IP addy you can tunnel through.

On souffle girl:

Jenna Louise Colman supposedly has roles in the other eps before becoming the companion. This was obviously intended to be a likeable character (smart, clever, funny, flirty), hopefully we'll see her do a dramatically different role.

Both Karen Gillan (Amy) and Freema Agyeman (Martha) have played other characters, but these were both in different series to the one they were companion. The fact that Jenna-Louise Coleman has been cast and announced as the new companion and then appears as a different character is interesting.

Yeah, he did it with the Sontarans not that long ago. Frequently with the Daleks and other things. Oswyn was awesome! I was so sad when she died. Can you imagine the Doctor with a Dalek companion? And now that they've forgotten him, the Doctor can pretty much be dead, unless he wants to appear. Bernard Cribbins (Donna's grandfather) was a companion in one of the really old episodes.

Yeah, he did it with the Sontarans not that long ago. Frequently with the Daleks and other things. Oswyn was awesome! I was so sad when she died. Can you imagine the Doctor with a Dalek companion? And now that they've forgotten him, the Doctor can pretty much be dead, unless he wants to appear. Bernard Cribbins (Donna's grandfather) was a companion in one of the really old episodes.

No he wasn't a companion, he auditioned for the role of The Doctor.

So, did he just let that guy die/kill that guy? Can't remember him ever doing that before.

Yeah, he did. IIRC he's done things like that in the past quite a lot. He doesn't like violence or weapons, but if the case really calls for, or he feels someone really deserves it he isn't above it.

This was different. In the past he has let people die by not helping them, and Ten would give the villains a choice of leaving the Earth alone and returning to safety before he destroyed them. But this was darker. He could have transported in gotten Neffy out, demagnatized the guy's ship and put that ship signal thing out an air lock or transported it to an area far enough away from the ship. This he deliberately and with almost malice left the device on the ship knowing he would be blown to bits. Matt Smith's Doctor has never gone to that dark of a place before. 9? Oh yes. 10? Not quite so much but still skirted it. 11? I've never seen him do something like that.

I was dissapointed in the twist in the new episode.

...How are the Daleks going to be a threat if they don't know who the Doctor is anymore? They got strongerin FEAR of him. Neutering the most dangerous of the Doctor's enemies if kindof a jerkish thing to do

They will be a threat in the same way they became a threat in the first place. They're Daleks. Aside from the fact that this is a series with time travel (so you can just go back to before that happened, or write it out of history, or whatever), all you need for a Dalek to be a threat to the Doctor is for it to be there.

Both Karen Gillan (Amy) and Freema Agyeman (Martha) have played other characters, but these were both in different series to the one they were companion. The fact that Jenna-Louise Coleman has been cast and announced as the new companion and then appears as a different character is interesting.

Peter Purves played a character called Morton Dill before joining the TARDIS crew as Stephen Taylor, and that was within the same damn serial. Gotta love 60s Doctor Who.

So, did he just let that guy die/kill that guy? Can't remember him ever doing that before.

The Doctor has committed genocide on a few occasions, and it wasn't all that long ago that he blew up an entire cyber fleet, one that wasn't doing anything to antagonise him, one which had done nothing to hurt him or anyone close to him, one that wasn't even actively engaged with hostilities with anyone, simply to make a point. And that was this Doctor. This wasn't that far out of character - in fact, compared to some things the Doctor has done, this was positively restrained.

Bernard Cribbins (Donna's grandfather) was a companion in one of the really old episodes.

Not quite. Bernard Cribbins was a companion in the second film they made in the 60s, but the films are about a human scientist called Doctor Who, not a Time Lord known as the Doctor, and can therefore be considered non-canon. But if you want a better example of people going on to play more prominent roles in the series, Colin Baker played Maxil in Arc of Infinity, before becoming the sixth Doctor.

I thought the Doctor sending that chap off to die was kind of weird too. In fact, I found the episode in general a bit weird. I mean the hunter chap and the Egyptian Queen...they were both strong enough characters to have episode revolve around each of them as individuals. To pack them into an episode together along with Rory's father seemed a bit of a waste, especially as they didn't even seem all that central to the plot.

I just saw it as the Doctor didn't directly do it though he did do it indirectly and thus in a way keeping his hands clean.

You probably don't watch it but I use the analogy of Peter Burke in White Collar knowing all the shady dealings going on with his CI and gang but as long as he's not directly involved, he feels he's doing it legally.

The moral and ethical ground of behaving in such a method is another thing though & I believe that's what you all are calling into question with The Doctor.

I was dissapointed in the twist in the new episode.

...How are the Daleks going to be a threat if they don't know who the Doctor is anymore? They got strongerin FEAR of him. Neutering the most dangerous of the Doctor's enemies if kindof a jerkish thing to do

They will be a threat in the same way they became a threat in the first place. They're Daleks. Aside from the fact that this is a series with time travel (so you can just go back to before that happened, or write it out of history, or whatever), all you need for a Dalek to be a threat to the Doctor is for it to be there.

Peter Purves played a character called Morton Dill before joining the TARDIS crew as Stephen Taylor, and that was within the same damn serial. Gotta love 60s Doctor Who.

The Doctor has committed genocide on a few occasions, and it wasn't all that long ago that he blew up an entire cyber fleet, one that wasn't doing anything to antagonise him, one which had done nothing to hurt him or anyone close to him, one that wasn't even actively engaged with hostilities with anyone, simply to make a point. And that was this Doctor. This wasn't that far out of character - in fact, compared to some things the Doctor has done, this was positively restrained.

Bernard Cribbins (Donna's grandfather) was a companion in one of the really old episodes.

Not quite. Bernard Cribbins was a companion in the second film they made in the 60s, but the films are about a human scientist called Doctor Who, not a Time Lord known as the Doctor, and can therefore be considered non-canon. But if you want a better example of people going on to play more prominent roles in the series, Colin Baker played Maxil in Arc of Infinity, before becoming the sixth Doctor.

Oh. Damn wikipedia, you are not very reliable.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked the last two episodes. They answered some important questions, like

why anyone would ever wanna be the doctor's companion.

Earlier was the first episode I ever saw with Daleks, and I must say they disappointed a bit after what I read about them...

But then, I loved the earlier Angels episodes. Fingers crossed for next week ;D

Archived