DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Rand's end

Mowbray

I have read WoT at least 6 times, and there are some glaring spots, combining which you can actually deduce the climax of the series. In this post, I'll be talking about Rand al'Thor.

Basically, when the writer starts pointing out that the protagonist is going to die, die and die, you have to understand that it's going to be exactly the opposite. Even the greatest fantasy author - JRR Tolkien - used this device for Frodo Baggins. In the entire LoTR, there were talks of Frodo dying in the end, killed by Sam, committing suicide and likewise. But in the end, he survived. In Harry Potter series, Harry Potter was slated to die to kill Voldemort, but he survived to tell the tale of another day.

Same is the case with Rand al'Thor.

Unless the late RJ is really a cruel writer - which I feel he is not - he won't be heaping miseries over his protagonist only to die without reaping not even an ounce of a reward for a sacrifice. Each writer carries a sense of responsibility and RJ is no less. Till now, what we have seen so far about Rand is this: homeless, heartbroken, alienated, injured, maddened, imprisoned, tortured, guilty, mutilated ... all the negative things that no man will ever face in one lifetime. So, is it a good idea to kill him? That will really put an end to the entire series. The readers will not touch the books once the series will be over. Who wants to read the saga that is doomed for a horrendous ending. LoTR survived the ages not only because Tolkien wrote the masterpiece, but also because how the series ended on a positive note. Every protagonist survived and filled the reader with joy and inspiration.

Yeah, I know it is not possible for this series - I mean, every protagonist surviving - but it will be a complete series-killer if Rand dies without any positive outcome for his own.

Well, above was an author's perspective. Now back to the series. Following are the hints that tell me Rand won't die in the end:

1. Aelfinns' answer to Rand - they say that Rand will live when he dies first. As far as I have seen, unlike the foxes, the snakes have been too straightforward in their answers. Mat thinks they were sneaks, but they gave direct answers: marry Nine Moons, die and live again and give away half the light of the world to save the world. Rand's answer is also somewhat straight, and has no philosophical edge. Know that snakes are beasts of the shadow and no philosophers.

2. Min's viewing - She says three men will look at the pyre with Rand on it. But she says nothing about burning. Just a pyre.

3. Aviendha's children - Rand and Aviendha had an intimate relationship only once, and that relationship did not end in the girl's pregnancy. And Min has been sure that Avi will have 4 children. This means that Rand and Avi will marry, and it is not likely to happen before the battle, with Avi too far and everything too much on the edge. This is, by far, the biggest clue.

4. Rhuarc's son - Rhuarc's so, in ToM, says he saw Rand going to a Hold. As far as we have seen till now, children of Rhuarc or Bael aren't there now, otherwise they would have been revealed by now. Moreover, Rand doesn't seem to return to Aiel Waste until TD is over. This means, Rand will survive.

5. In TGS, Graendal sees Moridin similar to al'Thor in a certain position. As far as we have seen, Moridin has no looks like Rand. He's younger and prettier. Rand, on the other hand, has gained age on his face. This foreshadows RJ's element.

6. In TGS, Rand worries that he has to be careful, otherwise "there won't be anything of him for DO to kill". This comment actually is disheartening, filled with dark humor, but it also tells us that Rand will be switching bodies.

7. Min sees two men fusing into one in Rand's viewing. Lews Therin is Rand, and Rand is Lews Therin, so there arises no question of Dragonmount scene fulfilling the viewing. On the other hand, Moridin-Rand connection is more prominent, and with Moridin's insistence of Rand to be kept alive, I feel it will be Rand's blood that will spill on Shayol Ghul's rocks, but there won't be Rand in the body.

This is my analysis so far. I feel, from pt 4, that Rand will become Car'a'carn of Aiel and will establish capital in Rhuidean. Tear will go to Darlin, Illian to Mattin, Caemlyn and Cairhien to Elayne and Arad Doman to Alsalam. Mat will become the King of Seanchan and Perrin will become King of Borderlands.

I know it isn't a common viewpoint from readers of this series, but I think Rand should die(and he is my favorite character).

The poor guy has been through so much. The positive of his death would be the freedom of death. He deserves to reside in TAR with the other heroes of the horn until he is spun back out.

I know a bodyswap or some other theory is extremely likely, I just wish he would die. Let the poor bastard rest in peace.

Other than that, very well thought out post.

That's an awful lot of words to say that Rand will probably live - which is widely accepted anyway.

1. Aelfinns' answer to Rand - they say that Rand will live when he dies first. As far as I have seen, unlike the foxes, the snakes have been too straightforward in their answers. Mat thinks they were sneaks, but they gave direct answers: marry Nine Moons, die and live again and give away half the light of the world to save the world. Rand's answer is also somewhat straight, and has no philosophical edge. Know that snakes are beasts of the shadow and no philosophers.
The Eelfinn are not beasts of the Shadow.

3. Aviendha's children - Rand and Aviendha had an intimate relationship only once, and that relationship did not end in the girl's pregnancy. And Min has been sure that Avi will have 4 children. This means that Rand and Avi will marry, and it is not likely to happen before the battle, with Avi too far and everything too much on the edge. This is, by far, the biggest clue.
That's a shame, because your assessment is deeply flawed. That Avi and Rand will have children does not mean that they will marry, still less that this will happen after TG. It requires only that Rand and Avi have sex at least once more. That's it.

That's a shame, because your assessment is deeply flawed. That Avi and Rand will have children does not mean that they will marry, still less that this will happen after TG. It requires only that Rand and Avi have sex at least once more. That's it.

Plus Aviendha's only reason to hold back from being with Rand was that she was not his equal. She wanted to be a wise one in order to compare to his honor. Since she will return from Rhuidean, she will be a wise one.

Plus Aviendha's only reason to hold back from being with Rand was that she was not his equal. She wanted to be a wise one in order to compare to his honor. Since she will return from Rhuidean, she will be a wise one.

Man, you should know by now that according to Aiel customs, a Wise One HAS to marry to bear children. Avi is not a Maiden that will be impregnated with Rand's children without getting married.

That's an awful lot of words to say that Rand will probably live - which is widely accepted anyway.

The Eelfinn are not beasts of the Shadow.

It has already been revealed that Aelfinn and Eelfinn are beasts of shadow, though not under DO's shade.

No small part of the fandom expects Rand to be alive somehow at the end of it all, and both the Rand-Moridin connection and T'a'R are employed in any number of theories explaining how this will be. That Rand lives might even be the popular belief and there's evidence to support it, but your outline has some problems.

It has already been revealed that Aelfinn and Eelfinn are beasts of shadow, though not under DO's shade.

You might want to try citing a source. Birgitte's quote in TSR that the Finn "are not evil the way the Shadow is evil" seems to imply a disjoint relationship between the Shadow and the Finn.

Man, you should know by now that according to Aiel customs, a Wise One HAS to marry to bear children.

Source? Further, in a Reddit AMA Sanderson responded to a question asking whether Aviendha and Rand will get screentime together in AMoL by mentioning Min's viewing.

4. Rhuarc's son - Rhuarc's so, in ToM, says he saw Rand going to a Hold. As far as we have seen till now, children of Rhuarc or Bael aren't there now, otherwise they would have been revealed by now. Moreover, Rand doesn't seem to return to Aiel Waste until TD is over. This means, Rand will survive.

In TSR, Rhuarc tells Rand that he has daughters older than Berelain. There's no reason he cannot have other children yet unmentioned, including one or more sons.

Bael has sons. This is mentioned by Melaine in LoC when Min informed her that she would be having twin daughters.

I also get the impression that the Aiel have a lot of children in general.

6. In TGS, Rand worries that he has to be careful, otherwise "there won't be anything of him for DO to kill". This comment actually is disheartening, filled with dark humor, but it also tells us that Rand will be switching bodies.

I'm not making the connection here.

Man, you should know by now that according to Aiel customs, a Wise One HAS to marry to bear children.

Do you care to substantiate these claims? Perhaps a quote from the books, or something RJ said in an interview? You understand, I'm not saying you're wrong; Simply that I don't know what you're basing this on.

The best answer will lay with the aelfinn's direct answer. Rand will live when he dies first.

They said the same thing to Mat and turned out true. Mat was hung, an act everybody would expect that death will result. But Rand was there to rescue him, in the nick of time.

Similarly, Rand will perform an act that everybody believe death would result, such as opening the seal and probably alone against the advice of all. But someone will pull him out from the brink while in the act, perhaps Moiraine or Perrin.

As to the exact details of how it will pan out - the book will be egarly awaited by all.

The best answer will lay with the aelfinn's direct answer. Rand will live when he dies first.

They said the same thing to Mat and turned out true. Mat was hung, an act everybody would expect that death will result. But Rand was there to rescue him, in the nick of time.

Not true, the Finn answer refers to Mat being killed facing Rahvin in Caemlyn and then being brought back to life by Rand's balefire. He was most certainly dead.

Nope.

There have been loads of references to Avi contemplating laying the marriage bouquet, or whatever Aiel call it, at Rand's feet. Seems really likely to me that she will and perhaps soon, might be on the eve of the next battle?

Interesting post. The more rereads, the more we pick up the many many clues.

I dunno about the bodyswap thing? A year from now we'll know ALL!

Source? Further, in a Reddit AMA Sanderson responded to a question asking whether Aviendha and Rand will get screentime together in AMoL by mentioning Min's viewing

I really want them to have a whole book of screen time together, I have always said she was ignored and forgoten about in the later books, a shame cause RJ set Her up to be such a strong character.... Jan 8 pls pls come quickly!

I'm personally in the Rand-is-NOT-going-to-die camp. And it has nothing to do with how i want the series to end. I think the OP's first point is the most convincing. An author wouldn't write the main character convinced he has to die the whole series if he actually intended to kill him off. Instead of his death shouted at us throughout the series, it would have been whispered. Much like the more subtle foreshadowing we've seen throughout that he'll live.

^ He's going to die. It has been foreshadowed, prophesized, viewed, etc. RJ would be ripping the fans off if Rand did not die in some way or another. If he dies then comes back like it's hinted at, then that makes sense

Yeah, he'll die. What i meant was he'll be alive at the end, after the last battle. if he dies then comes back then the author didn't really kill him off.

Early in the series, before it became invalidated with prophecies, I always liked the idea that he'd use Balefire to kill the Dark One. Using a Sa'Angeal, maybe linked or whatever, he summons enough of the one power to unleash a blast of Balefire that unravels the pattern back to before the Dark One was loosed, gets killed in the process, but then because the Dark One's influence is wiped out retro-actively for the last 3000 years, he comes to in a parallel world, the world that would have existed had the Dark One never been loosed. It would fit the 'to live, first you must die,' since it's already been demonstrated that people can come back to life by unmaking what killed them with balefire, also 'she'll help him die,' from Alivia, being one of the most powerful female channelers alive, she could be part of that circle.

Probably a bit optimistic, but I was very young then :p

I know it isn't a common viewpoint from readers of this series, but I think Rand should die(and he is my favorite character).

The poor guy has been through so much. The positive of his death would be the freedom of death. He deserves to reside in TAR with the other heroes of the horn until he is spun back out.

I know a bodyswap or some other theory is extremely likely, I just wish he would die. Let the poor bastard rest in peace.

Other than that, very well thought out post.

I had a thought of a grey bearded Rand sitting in an inn somewhere (maybe Emond's Field) telling stories to kids while trying to eat a meal one handed. It's a sad thought and one that makes me hope that Rand will die and stay dead and if he doesn't, trying to split his time between a Queen, a Wise One, and Min will make him wish he was.

rand al thor wont die. not like how you and me understand death.

he will probably substitute his death with someone ele. proabably moridin

rand will live in the end hiding somehwere far far away with min.

sorry folks but those looking for a tragic hero will be disappointed

Yeah that's something I always thought would happen too. Elayne being queen in Caemlyn, Aviendha being a Wise One... wherever. And Min and Rand retiring to some small place together.

Yeah that's something I always thought would happen too. Elayne being queen in Caemlyn, Aviendha being a Wise One... wherever. And Min and Rand retiring to some small place together.

not only he wont retire but he will lose the ability to channel once the last battle is finished

Just like Mistborn.. well sorta.

For a dead protagonist to be in contact with his still-living friends and love interests? That's not like Mistborn at all, unless we bend the meaning of both 'dead' and 'contact'. Or, I suppose, 'protagonist', if you've OreSeur's tricks in mind :wink:

Archived