DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Cadsuane

condonmc

(and it can be gotten around)

Hmm, I always thought that referred to exactly what Elayne figure out, that you don't have to touch him with weaves in order to pretty much do whatever you want with him. Any specific reason why that interpretation isn't likely?

• Replies 249
  • Created
  • Last Reply

(and it can be gotten around)

Hmm, I always thought that referred to exactly what Elayne figure out, that you don't have to touch him with weaves in order to pretty much do whatever you want with him. Any specific reason why that interpretation isn't likely?

I have no idea what you are getting at; your wording doesn't seem to fit what I said. But FYI, it appears to have been Adeleas that figured out how to get past Mat's medallion.

I have no idea what you are getting at; your wording doesn't seem to fit what I said.

That's because I was going by my memory, that someone once said that it can be, and that's what you're speaking about. I can't find anything like it, though, so perhaps I was mistaken (which would explain why you had no idea what I was talking about).

But FYI, it appears to have been Adeleas that figured out how to get past Mat's medallion.

Fair enough. I knew it might've been one of the sisters, but I was too lazy to check :smile:

I was listening to ToM and something struck me as odd. It's when Rand mets the Borderland lords in Far Madding and they strike him. Now, and this is paraphrased as I can't remeber it exactly. But, he says something along the lines of "if you'd done that a month ago I'd have struck you down" They say "what with the Guardian", and Rand replies "Not using the One Power" or something like that. Cadsuane says something like "what's he talking about"

Now Cadsuane is old, very old, and much traveled and very intelligent. How does she not know about the True Power? Surely she must have come across it while researching Callonder? Either this is a mistake by Brandon, or she truly doesn't know.

I was listening to ToM and something struck me as odd. It's when Rand mets the Borderland lords in Far Madding and they strike him. Now, and this is paraphrased as I can't remeber it exactly. But, he says something along the lines of "if you'd done that a month ago I'd have struck you down" They say "what with the Guardian", and Rand replies "Not using the One Power" or something like that. Cadsuane says something like "what's he talking about"

Now Cadsuane is old, very old, and much traveled and very intelligent. How does she not know about the True Power? Surely she must have come across it while researching Callonder? Either this is a mistake by Brandon, or she truly doesn't know.

I don't think anyone other than the forsaken know about the true power. Rand knows now, but i don't see how any of the other characters would have learned about it.

I don't think anyone other than the forsaken know about the true power. Rand knows now, but i don't see how any of the other characters would have learned about it.

Agreed. Where do you think she should have learned about the TP? It's a Power granted only to the Chosen and sometimes not even to all of them; morover, it's a Power that scares the Chosen for its consecuences and they seldom use it save for Ishy/Mori. So how would anyone know about it? Rand recognizes it through LTT.

It's a question of the knowledge surviving the Breaking or not, since LTT did know about it. Fair to say that it might not have, since no one appeared to know why the Bore was drilled in the first place.

Also, even if she were aware (I really don't think that's the case), she might still have had a "wait, what?" moment upon hearing Rand talk about using it.

EDIT: Coming to think about it, the Aiel WO are the most likely to retain knowledge of it, or at least suspect something of that kind.

I can't wait until cad meets mat and his little friend around his kneck. he'll probably flip her over and hit her worse than joline.

Same here. Mat is my favorite. For some reason I think Cady will actually like Mat. I don't know why - just a hunch.

Cadsuane has always been one of my very favorite characters ever since the 1st time she appeared in the throne room and just marched right in before they could barely introduce her. It's not that I like the way she keeps secrets, (although she can't tell everybody everything she knows), and it's not that I always like the way she treats Rand, (even though he deserves a lot of it).........

What I like about her, from the very beginning, is that it seems to me that she is "old-school" and that this is how Aes Sedai are supposed to act. She don't whisper half-truths until you wonder what she means, she's blunt. She means what she says and does exactly what she said she would. She's blunt. She's honest. She reminds me of a strict Aunt or Grandmother that gives you "tough-love" and I think a lot of people are absolutely shocked when her actions suit her words. Don't give up on her. Aside from Nyneave, she is my very favorite of all the Aes Sedai. I even like her better that Moiraine.

And for everyone that can't wait until she meets Mat Cauthon, I think they will get along fine. I think she reminds me of Setale Anan and her and Mat seem to get along.

BTW, if you want to hate somebody, hate Egwene or Faile.......they both absolutely SUCK!!!

Guest Subzero

Cadsuane has always been one of my very favorite characters ever since the 1st time she appeared in the throne room and just marched right in before they could barely introduce her. It's not that I like the way she keeps secrets, (although she can't tell everybody everything she knows), and it's not that I always like the way she treats Rand, (even though he deserves a lot of it).........

What I like about her, from the very beginning, is that it seems to me that she is "old-school" and that this is how Aes Sedai are supposed to act. She don't whisper half-truths until you wonder what she means, she's blunt. She means what she says and does exactly what she said she would. She's blunt. She's honest. She reminds me of a strict Aunt or Grandmother that gives you "tough-love" and I think a lot of people are absolutely shocked when her actions suit her words. Don't give up on her. Aside from Nyneave, she is my very favorite of all the Aes Sedai. I even like her better that Moiraine.

And for everyone that can't wait until she meets Mat Cauthon, I think they will get along fine. I think she reminds me of Setale Anan and her and Mat seem to get along.

BTW, if you want to hate somebody, hate Egwene or Faile.......they both absolutely SUCK!!!

+1 And probably +5 on your opinion about Egwene and Faile. I have probably as many of you re-read WoT many times but perhaps where you read on I just skip most parts where these characters are involved. To be fair though I kind of liked Egwene when she learned the Aiel ways but after that it's mostly downhill for me. Instead of going into tedious rambles on her good and bad's I will say this: Both Rand and Egwene has shown shall we say immature decisions but where Rand has Cadsuane who does Egwene have to keep her on the ground?

Faile just doesnt sit well with me, at all. Perhaps it's cuz she reminds me on how people shouldnt act or perhaps it's something other entirely. To clarify I find the Saldean way of behaving to your loved ones a bit to much you know?

Sorry for the OT. Cadsuane may be a bully but at the same time Rand needs someone to pop his ballon so to say (hope that doesnt come over as dirty ><) and as bigdoug1971 states, I find her bluntness refreshing :)

There's something in ToM which I find quite curious, and revealing, though I'm not good at analysing motivations.. It's in ToM51, when Rand meets with the Borderlanders, and passes their test about Tellindal Tirraso. Cadsuane asks Paitar about that prophecy, and watches Rand, apparently at ease:

What man who could channel would sit among thirteen Aes Sedai and not sweat?

(Admittedly she does not know about his access to the TP.)

She acknowledges to herself that Rand has changed, and tells herself that she would have to accept, though being a man he was likely to get over-confident. (Her words, not mine.. :wink: )

Then she thinks:

But.. well, she was proud of him. Grudgingly proud. A little.

This, to me, reads as though she starts off being seriously impressed by Rand, and then pulls herself back, only letting herself be 'a little' proud. What's going on there? Is she being ultra-cautious, not letting up on her efforts to keep a tight rein on the man?

• 1 month later...

There is a lot I love about Cads but it's quite hilarious how she rags on others for their bad manners and yet her own are appalling. Since when is slapping someone ever okay? And for what, swearing? My grandmother would faint. I'm threading through CoT (tempted to skip certain chapters, mind) and I've got to say, with a few tweaks here and there, she could've been a lot more menacing/complex and less comic relief. I don't mind though, not much.

You have to admit thought that she does have a certain happiness in putting people down...

Was doing a reread and and was reminded again of how false this claim of her taking happiness from putting people down is...

WH

Cadsuane drew a deep breath. She had promised the boy that whatever she did would be for his good, not the good of the Tower or anyone else's, and now she had broken a good woman for his good. "I am very sorry, Aleis," she said. You are building up a large account already, boy, she thought.

As for the post before mine, not sure how anyone could read her as only comic relief. Cads is up there with the most complex characters in the series. As RJ said she is a "remarkably adaptable" woman and we see that time and again in the text. She has a plan to teach Rand and save the world. We see her have his back harder than just about anyone. She uses a variety of tactics based on the situation in front of her, and she put together a masterful defense that allowed the cleansing to be finished in WH. Lastly to all the people who say she is just out for power and to be top dog you do all realize she was in a self imposed exile correct? She turned down offers to be Amrylin and hold other positions of power multiple times in her career.

When did I say she was only comic relief?

edit:

For example, undermining Rand in front of Logain, someone he has authority over was kind of stupid. Yes, she's a grumpy grandma and blah blah manners blah, but why not wait to address him about it later? Smart thing to do, really. But instead we get a funny bit with Rand grinding his teeth.

Because the purpose was behaviour modification--she was trying to make him stop acting the tyrant by making it unpleasent for him to act that way.

It's like slapping a child's hand as they reach out toward a fire. It's startling, unpleasent, but stops them from being burned and remains clear in their mind.

Because the purpose was behaviour modification--she was trying to make him stop acting the tyrant by making it unpleasent for him to act that way.

It's like slapping a child's hand as they reach out toward a fire. It's startling, unpleasent, but stops them from being burned and remains clear in their mind.

Agreed. She was awesome when she put some sense into his head when he started berating Rhuarc and Bael in Arad Doman. Her reminder to him of how many times did the Aiel fail you and how many times did you fail them was just awesome.

Agreed. She was awesome when she put some sense into his head when he started berating Rhuarc and Bael in Arad Doman. Her reminder to him of how many times did the Aiel fail you and how many times did you fail them was just awesome.

That's probably the one scene I'll give of Cads doing something I liked.

As for the rest, I've expressed my opinion enough, we'll all never agree. To each his/her own.

I understand what she hopes to accomplish, but I don't agree that it had to be done in front of Logain. It's not like Rand was already having issues with authority at BT... spanked by an AS no less.

The point is Logain isn't a trusted friend like Rhuarc. Not yet as far as they're concerned.

Cadsuane also has to teach "all the Ash'aman" about not being weapons first and foremost and I think Logain would be the most likely (and compassionate in a tough way, ref: To Make an Anchor Weep") to drive the lesson home to the rest of the gang.

Did she really accomplish that? Never really got that part.

Meh. For all that Cadsuane is probably my favourite character, I'd been looking forward to the day Rand faced her down (and for that matter, had I paused to consider it the idea of a Tam and Cadsuane confrontation would have had equal excitement). That being said, what Brandon gave us left a lot to be desired for. Cadsuane acted the dumb bully. Cadsuane was called a dumb bully.

It was poorly written--and for all that it held carthartic release for those who hate Cadsuane it was, to be frank, boring. Tam gained nothing--after all, how much credit does it give you to call a fool, 'a fool'?

Now Tam facing down the remarkably adaptable [albeit beligerent] Cadsuane that Jordan wrote and notated, as opposed to the dumb [albeit beligerent] one Brandon wrote... that would have been probably one of the best scenes in the series.

Meh. For all that Cadsuane is probably my favourite character, I'd been looking forward to the day Rand faced her down (and for that matter, had I paused to consider it the idea of a Tam and Cadsuane confrontation would have had equal excitement). That being said, what Brandon gave us left a lot to be desired for. Cadsuane acted the dumb bully. Cadsuane was called a dumb bully.

It was poorly written--and for all that it held carthartic release for those who hate Cadsuane it was, to be frank, boring. Tam gained nothing--after all, how much credit does it give you to call a fool, 'a fool'?

Now Tam facing down the remarkably adaptable [albeit beligerent] Cadsuane that Jordan wrote and notated, as opposed to the dumb [albeit beligerent] one Brandon wrote... that would have been probably one of the best scenes in the series.

that still is

Archived