DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Ivory???

Guest ckloser

Guest ckloser

Aviendha gives Rand King Laman's Sword. He accepted only the blade because the hilt was ivory and would be impractical. Ivory? Ivory comes from elephant tusks, elephants were not introduced until afterwards, the seanchan's S'redit. Even if he somehow managed to get the ivory for the sword how would they know what it was?

Elephant tusks last a long time. Heck, natives of Siberia are known to go searching for woolly mammoth corpses frozen and buried in the tundra to harvest their tusks for ivory, and the last woolly mammoth was wandering around up there sometime around 10,000 years ago. You can also get ivory from any critter with big enough teeth or tusks, so it's also conceivable that it was harvested from the tusks of really big boars.

Well Ivory usually comes from elephants, but it doesn't have to, many animals tusks are Ivory. Also I figure if the Ivory came from anywhere it came from Shara.

That actually makes a lot of sense because Cairhein was the only nation that was allowed land trade with Shara.

I'm not sure if this is relevant but Elaida also has a collection of Ivory figurines - and knows the term. But it IS commented on how old they are...

They use the word Ivory - they could do it while ignorant of its origins. It could be assumed to be a rock.

It wouldnt be a big stretch to assume elephants are in Shara as well and carhien had a very lucrative trade route with them until the tree incident.

Does the animal-trainer Seanchan who travels with Luca's show for a while not pretend her 'Boar Horses' come from Shara at some point, too?

The "sredit" may actually have originally come from Shara - the Seanchan may trade with Shara as well - the Eastern end seems to "wrap" around to Western Seanchan.

Or there may be elephants in both Shara and Seanchan -- after all, in recorded history they existed all over the place.

The ivory could also be walrus ivory etc.

Considering that Seanchan and Shara are only separated by a relatively small ocean, and the parallels to earth, with Shara being like Africa and Seanchan being like Asia, it would be pretty believable to think that s'redits originated in one of those and migrated/was traded to the other.

• 10 months later...

The "sredit" may actually have originally come from Shara - the Seanchan may trade with Shara as well - the Eastern end seems to "wrap" around to Western Seanchan.

I don't think I've seen a map that shows Seanchan. Does one exist?

The Big White Book should have one.

Archived