DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Where did your name come from?

Again, I am rather boring! Corki is my real life nickname, which all my friends (and even teachers at my old school!) call me! It is a shortening of my Irish surname. One of my friends only knew me by my nickname, until he asked me what my real name was! And that was after 4 years of being his friend!

If I RP (which I do in the Band's The Quest thread), I use the name Tomas Corkulan. The first name is a variation on the spelling of my RL first name, and the surname is a tinkering of my RL surname too.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well Nyneave is my favourite character from WoT so I wanted to represent her in some way but didn't necessarily want that to be my name.(Plus Nyn had it already ;)) Niamh is Irish Gaelic for "Bright" and is said "Neev". When I joined DM I'm not sure many people could actually say it so it got shortened to Nia. (Which is said Nee-Uh)

When I RP with that name I use the surname "Alaine". I pretty much made it up in my head at the time but when I reread TGH I did find a character called Alaine. And in the Borderlands there is a place called the "Niamh Passes". Weird huh? I swear it was all sub-concious!!! lol

I'm a bit of a mythology freak and I actually stole the name from a character in a book I love. The King Must Die. An Athenian sacrifice sent with Theseus to King Minos in Crete, she became an acclaimed bulldancer. But that's not in wikipedia, this is though...

(hel'-e-kee) In Greek mythology, Helike was one of the nymphs who nurtured Zeus in his infancy on Crete. Her name suggests that she was a "willow-nymph", just as there were oak-tree nymphs and ash-nymphs (Dryads and Meliai).

It's also one of Jupiters moons and a recently rediscovered city in Greece. Also in wikipedia. :wink:

Eadon is the Celtic goddess of poetry. It was also my AIM screen name at the time I registered so.. I decided to just stick with it lol.

btw. I pronounce it like "Aidan" the rest of the Green Ajah says it like "Eden" which then led to my nickname, Edie (E-de).

I chose my last name once I started RPing here. Isolde is an ancient Irish Queen (recently made popular by the movie "Tristan and Isolde")

Well, Oz, because Im an Aussie.

The Hammer part comes from ,y nicname from when I was a kid. I was a bit of a tearaway as a young tacker, and loved that old TV show Gladiators, so my mates christened me with a "tough" Gladiator name Sledge. Also, I played a lot of sport, and am a competitive bloke and the name gained greater acceptance in the local sporting community (to "sledge" someone in Australian sporting terms is to talk "trash" or gain a mental edge over your opponent). Hence the name Sledgehammer became prevelant. I am mainly known in the local sporting community as Sledge, or, to the younger blokes "Uncle Sledgie".

I chose Kiara for two reasons really. Firstly, I'm a really big fan of Pitch Black and the Chronicles of Riddick. In the latter, there is a fairly tough female who goes by the name of Kyra. I liked the name and the idea of the character; but I didn't want to be a blatant rip off. So I went searching for something similar with a good meaning. I found Kiara, which is Gaelic in origin and means "small and dark". Since that sounded similar and fit me well, that's what I chose.

I got Jhaenara from a name generator when I used to RP in an IRC chat room on efnet. Yeah, really exciting... lol. It didn't come out exactly that way... I played around with it.

I also use Kaethrin which is sort of a form of Kathryn (since that and Cathrine are too commonly used as spellings).

I love the name Rhiannon too, but that's often taken, so I spell it Rheannan (or Rheanna). That's become my main online gaming name (DAoC, EQ2, WoW, etc).

I really like the "ae" combo in names it seems, lol. One of my other names is Caelia which I just chose in my head but found out later she was a fairy queen in Arthurian legend. Another "ae" name I use is Raegan. Just like the name.

And lastly, for evil characters, I often use Nyxia. Nyx is the Goddess of Night in Greek.

I have a little obsession with a black panther named Guenhwyvar. So everywhere I go I try to make aname similar to hers. Except when i got here, I just KNEW that all versions of the name would be taken so I decided to do something else entirely.

Then I remembered my panther familiar's name from Neverwinter Nights. I had come up with the name Mendorah off the top of my head one day because, for once, I didn't want to rip off my hero's character. The name is beautiful and so I chose it for my name here. I thought it lended itself well to being an Aes Sedai.

The last name, Al'Landri also just kind of came out. I wanted something that rolled off your tonge well. I knew I wanted an Al'L.... sound so that the connection to the books would be undeniable, but I couldn't think of anything. But then the good Texan bred girl inside of me came out and said "Landry!" It sounded right, but I changed the Y to and I at the end and it stuck.

Let's see. My brothers had this club where they wouldn't let us join. So my sisters and I decided we would start our own club. We had membership cards and everything. *G* We each picked a name that had a stone in it. I picked the stone Jade because I liked the stone and the color green. Taking the name Jade I turned it into Jaydena and the rest is history!

Guest Seryanne

Mine is a sort of a smooshing of RL names also (all of them) I'm going to figure out a surname one of these days also. Maybe :D

I started my roleplay career as Alarwen (in a LotR rp), and found the name in a little quyena handbook, 'alar' meaning 'shining' and '-wen' 'maiden'. So Alarwen is really a Shining Maiden.

When I came to DM I didn't want so obviously LotR name, but I still liked my Alarwen a lot (she's a red haired forest elf, btw ;)), so I decided to change it a bit to Alarwyn to be more like ME and not the character I created for that RP. And my last name comes from my last name irl, though it's not very much alike. :P

My nickname, 'Larmie comes from William (my mentor) and my little brother, who (for some reason) have always found it funny to yell 'ALARM!!!' whenever they see me. Somehow that changed to Alarmie, and now it's just 'Larmie. It's funny how names live their own lives, isn't it? :D

I picked Querida because I thought it was a unique enough name that I would be the only Q - I wasn't - there was Quatalina - but I think she is gone now. Querida was the name I used in my college Spanish class -it means 'beautiful' in Spanish - again - I chose it because it was different.

And Farene - not sure why - but it worked - and now I have so many variations of my name - sometimes I can't keep up.

like:

Pimp Mamma Q

Q

Quezza

Queso

Hoovah - you get the drift.

and it is pronounced:

Kay Reeda

Not Query

=)

My name comes from a character from a Star Wars book, which I read when I was younger, it was supposed to be spelt with only on 'r' (Siri), but I couldn't remember, and I liked it with 2 'r's better (Sirri), so I kept it this way.

My last name was originally 'Wodewolfe', which I use for a medievalism group that I'm in, and I shortened it to wolfe for my login when I joined groups, it originally was 'Sirri of Mount Wolfe, for a Tamora Pierce rp. And so I've shortened it once again to be just 'Wolfe'.

Oh those Star Wars books, lol! Have an interesting ending to the series if I remember correctly.

Anyway, my name came from watching Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets with French subtitles. It was during the part where the flying car crashed into the Whomping Willow and Harry kept saying "I don't know" which in french is 'Je nais sais pas.' Well, I didn't care for the pas on the end but the 'je nais sais' sounded promising. I played with the spelling a lot (on some sticky notes that were close by, lol!) and eventually came up with what I got....Jeannaisais, pronounced Jen-a-say.....which is the same pronunciation as the first three words of that phrase...Je nais sais. Interesting huh? lol! That was a couple years ago when I was positively obsessed with learning many languages (and I still am a bit, lol!). And, someday I hope to use that for my daughters name....Jeannaisais Jennette....pretty, don't ya think. :) Of course, many tell me I should try a different spelling.....but I can't come up with any that look good.....like Jenasay...that doesn't look right to me....*shrugs* Personal prefernce I guess, lol! But, in case anyone was wondering....when you call me Jea, you're just one letter away from using the French word for I which is 'Je.' They're pronounced the same though. So, yep, there's my story behind my name, lol! Although, my RL name is nowhere near that, lol! Then again, my RL name does have a unique spelling compared to others with the same name....Cristen....not often thats spelled with a C, lol!

from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Soviet_Canuckistan

'"Soviet Canuckistan" is one unflattering epithet for Canada, used by Pat Buchanan on October 31, 2002, on his television show on MSNBC in which he denounced Canadians as anti-American and the country as a haven for terrorists. He was reacting to a warning that had been issued by the Canadian Department of Foreign Affairs that Canadians born in Iraq, Iran, Libya, Sudan, and Syria should be cautious travelling to the United States.'

and at that time i was playing a lot of half-life and counter-strike. when i heard that on the radio, i knew what my handle from then on would be.

the Canukistani

and when ever i play counter-strike i always try to be the terrorist.

:twisted:

and to me, Canukistan is the place that all Canadians go after a few beers and a Canadian hockey team lost to an American team

Well, i screwed up on the registration with my e-mail and wasnt allowed to use twitch so i added the y....

anyway, Twitch comes from when i was 10 and i decided it would be my new fav word and spazzed out when ever anyone said it..........i was a weird kid.....am.

Guest Far Dareis Mai

I chose Far Dareis Mai because aside from the Green Ajah, I felt they identified most with my personality. And it sounds cool. :P

In RP I use the names Liadan, from one of my favorite trilogies, Aria, because its a type of Italian song, and Iarendiel, which is a play on words from the LotR.

Archived