DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Red Ajah Autumn Fair- PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST

PUMPKIN CARVING CONTEST

Precision-Pumpkin-Carving.jpg

PUMPKIN CARVING HISTORY:

It originated from an ancient Celtic festival of Samhain, which was celebrated from sunset on October 31st to sunset on November 1st, to honor the deceased relatives and friends. It was believed that the veil between this world and the other world was at its thinnest on this night and thus, it was considered the most magical night of the year.

The ‘magic’ element of Samhain night has filtered down to the present, along with the tradition of glowing jack-o-lanterns that were originally carved from turnips, pears or gourds. Burning lumps of coal were usually placed inside these jack-o-lanterns. Thereafter, they were set on porches and in windows, to welcome the spirits of loved ones and guide their way. They were believed to protect people from evil and malevolent spirits. With time, the coal was replaced by lit candles. When Europeans, especially those from Ireland, arrived in America, they came across indigenous pumpkins, which were much larger and easier to carve. Thus, they were substituted for making Jack-o-lanterns. By late 1800s, Halloween and pumpkin carving became popular with Americans too.

GOTTEN FROM: http://festivals.iloveindia.com/halloween/jack-o-lanterns/pumpkin-carving-history.html

So now that we know a little of the history, it's time for the fun:

CONTEST RULES:

1. Only one submission per person

2. There are three categories you will be judged on:

--------------Most Creative

--------------Scariest

--------------Funniest

3. You must go to this site: http://www.gamegarage.co.uk/play/halloween/

4. Play the game

5. Take a screen capture of the photo and upload it to photobucket

6. Use the link from photobucket to post an image in this thread

7. You have 1 week to enter the contest

8. Then the winners will be announced at the end of the week and prizes given out also.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I apparently do not have drawing skills enough to carve a virtual pumpkin...wow...it is sad!!! My visions just don't work out...and one of them was just 2 triangle eyes and a triangle mouth and I used the straight tool!! *hangs head in shame*

I apparently do not have drawing skills enough to carve a virtual pumpkin...wow...it is sad!!! My visions just don't work out...and one of them was just 2 triangle eyes and a triangle mouth and I used the straight tool!! *hangs head in shame*

Haha, me too! Don't feel bad Kathleen. Maybe I'll try again later. :D

I don't know how to do a print screen on my computer, but here's what I'd make it look like

Scan1-1.jpg

I messed up a few little lines when I was hand drawing that but you get the basic idea :P someone else wanna try to make it?

Wow some awesome carvings...though tynaal you can only enter one and you did three...so please choose the one you want to enter... :biggrin: thanks. And Aiel Heart there is a print screen button on your keyboard (make sure your pumpkin is in full screen mode, if possible) hit that, then open up MS word or whatever word type program you have, right click on the "paper" and then click paste. that should put it on the "paper" for you then you can hopefully somehow paste or attach it to the thread...not sure how to do that...or you could ask someone who already posted a pumpkin how they did it. :wink:

KEEP THE ENTRIES COMING..

I want to have a hard time deciding...yes I am the judge....LOL

Unimpressed.jpg

Unlike this one here, who's a bit freaked out at all the trick or treating going on:

Scared.jpg

And this:

Bwahaha.jpg

I'm not feeling very creative at the moment, and loose patience with games on the computer quickly :tongue: But please enter the unimpressed one :biggrin:

Trying again:

Unimpressed pumpkin

Scared pumpkin

Bwahaha lame pumpkin

Archived