DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

KoD: Aram's Betrayal

FossMaNo1

This was brought up in another thread and I thought it deserved its own.

The one plot so far in WoT I did not like and really thought was out of character (at least in how it ended up) was Aram's. Aram being convinced by Masema that Perrin is a Darkfriend? WtF? I'm rereading KoD right now and I am hoping that on my first read-through I simply missed the signs. I totally did not see this coming and thought it was absolutely out of character for Aram to turn on Perrin. The boy had latched onto Perrin like a dog to his master (okay, that's rather funny when you consider the context). The only thing that I would think might (MIGHT, I say) have turned Aram was that supposed "dalliance" between Perrin and Berelain after Faile was captured. Maybe he saw that as an act of betrayal on Perrin's part (the king gets knocked off the pedastal Aram had sat him on). Still...

Does anyone have anything to add that could shed light on these events, help me make sense of this plot?

Also one of the Forsaken was probably manipulating Masema (the "visions" he described in hte TGS Prologue strongly hint of that), he/she may've used Compulsion on Aram to make him turn against Perrin.

While there is evidence that Masema himself was manipulated and possibly compelled I don't think anybody compelled Aram. Masema had a strong effect on those around them somewhat similar to Fain's. He affected and turned a lot of people and it's not reasonable to assume that they were all compelled. Aram was set up for a fall pretty early - Egwene had some disturbing dreams about him and Perrin in FoH.

IIRC, Aram was extremely loyal to Faile, not Perrin. Loyalty to Perrin was a byproduct. And, again iirc, Aram started to smell the same crazy as Masema. When Faile got captured, there was no one who could've rein Aram.

No, Aram was definitely loyal to Perrin first and his loyalty to Faile stemmed from that, not the other way around.

I don't understand how you could miss the signs that Aram is beyond a loose canon. He's given up everything he built his life around to seek vengence for his family. He has nothing anymore. His life is built on hate, therefore he's unstable and easy to manipulate. When Perrin allows him to take the sword, the sword has to then encompass everything that the Way of the Leaf had meant for him. By TPoD Perrin's become increasingly worried about Aram's state of mind, as Aram sits and watches people get hanged with a sort of glee. When Aram finally meets Masema he literally salivates in awe. By CoT he's helping The Prophet's men torture Aiel, and even Perrin notes that he's gone over to their side. In KoD when they go meet with the Seanchan, Perrin notes again that he should have sent Aram away, that he's failed him in everything. Aram turning on Perrin because Masema convinced him Perrin's a darkfriend is like the least surprising twist of the book.

Not to mention the hundreds of viewings, dreams, and foretellings we've had that Aram=doom, and that having him around Perrin is unsafe.

I don't understand how you could miss the signs that Aram is beyond a loose canon. He's given up everything he built his life around to seek vengence for his family. He has nothing anymore. His life is built on hate, therefore he's unstable and easy to manipulate. When Perrin allows him to take the sword, the sword has to then encompass everything that the Way of the Leaf had meant for him. By TPoD Perrin's become increasingly worried about Aram's state of mind, as Aram sits and watches people get hanged with a sort of glee. When Aram finally meets Masema he literally salivates in awe. By CoT he's helping The Prophet's men torture Aiel, and even Perrin notes that he's gone over to their side. In KoD when they go meet with the Seanchan, Perrin notes again that he should have sent Aram away, that he's failed him in everything. Aram turning on Perrin because Masema convinced him Perrin's a darkfriend is like the least surprising twist of the book.

Not to mention the hundreds of viewings, dreams, and foretellings we've had that Aram=doom, and that having him around Perrin is unsafe.

Wow... me sorry 4 being stoopid.

Seriously, though, I'd seen Aram's fanaticism, but thought it was focalized around Perrin. I figured he'd die in the series, and I even figured Perrin would have to kill him (that being rather poetic with Perrin being one of the main supporters of this Tinker choosinging the sword). I just never saw him turning on his source of fanaticism. I just figured he'd cross the line do something he thought Perrin would approve of -- something that couldn't be forgiven -- and Perrrin would have to kill him for it.

Aram gave up everything he had and believed in. He was searching for something to make up for that. His loyalty to Perrin and Fallie, his interest in violence were attempts to fill the void. Masemia gave him a chance to find something to make up for it.

Aram was never the most level-headed character. Plus he spent quite a bit of time with Masema, was pretty loyal to Faile, and thought that Perrin wasn't trying hard enough to get her back when she was captured by the Shaido. Not a huge surprise when he turned against Perrin, really.

I thought it was very logical. Perrin let him pick up the sword, and he became a fanatic, where everything he built his life upon was that sword. He looked to Perrin to direct him, to tell him what to do, and all Perrin did was ignore him and push him away. In Masema, he found someone who could direct him where to use his sword. It just took a while for Masema to pull him away, it was a slow, but noticeable conversion. Perrin ignored it at first because he didn't want to face the facts, and then when he couldn't ignore them anymore, he started to push him away to avoid the problem, that was when Masema took over.

Perrin let him pick up the sword, and he became a fanatic, where everything he built his life upon was that sword. He looked to Perrin to direct him, to tell him what to do, and all Perrin did was ignore him and push him away.

Now this answer I like!

Personally I was shocked by it, and found it to be a waste of a character.

Although there was any number of portents that Aram was a hidden menace, I agree it was all a bit of a waste in the end. What, seven books of foreshadowing, that all got wrapped up in less then 2 pages, and with literally zero impact on the plot? Honestly, now we know how it ends, you could excise the entire Aram thread without having to change a single other thing.

In ToM Perrin reflects on what happened with Aram a bit, and it makes sense if you read between the lines a bit.

Aram replaced his faith in the Way of the Leaf with his faith in--i.e. hero worship of--Perrin. Perrin is even concerned that Aram is starting to act like a "wolfhound", and that it "isn't good for a man to be like that" (sorry, I can't find the exact quote).

When Faile was kidnapped, Perrin fell apart. Without his leadership, the alliance between the various factions in his army became strained. The Two Rivers men began to resent him, furthered by his alleged dalliance with Berelain. Yet it was even worse for Aram: the focus of his whole existence--his god, if you will--had disappointed and betrayed him. It was a crisis of faith, shown by Aram's increasing anger, heavy drinking and general instability. He finally latched onto the most violent and charismatic person he could find, one whose designs conveniently provided a justification and direction for his pain.

That being said, I do think the culmination of Aram's arc could have been written better and should have had more of an impact on the story.

-- dwn

It made sense in that Aram is to Perrin what Masema is to Rand, a failer of acknowledging their leadership role and ignoring the implications of their responsiblities. Rand and Perrin seem rather similar in this struggle (hmm interesting that Rand loses a hand as Perrin chops one off).

It's a bit of a theme really.

We can only wait to see how Olver and Matt work out, though Matt isn't quite 'done' in this regard. I would hope that he is more successful than the other two!

Hmm interesting how Rand loses a hand as Perrin chops one off-Rand was blind and then could 'see' while Matt had to half blind himself to 'see' better (ie. his luck was made fully effective and he has excepted it even more fully). I love how I keep noticing these patterns mirrored through out the series in different ways! :wheel:

It was not logical, I think it was in response to the increasing need people express to kill off people.

I may find people annoying and not want to read about them anymore, but the attitude that a number of people on the side of the light have to die for me to believe the story is not an opinion with which I agree.

Archived