DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

OUR HEROES

OUR HEROES

Why do they do it?

They get yelled at, cursed, assaulted, etc.

And they keep coming back for more

They help the child who has wandered away from home

The drunk who thinks he is sober

The battered spouse who loves the abuser

and gives them chance after chance

The mentally ill person bent on self-destruction,

Who at the time, does not realize they are being helped

Why do they do it?

Why do they do it?

They get shot at, blown up, stoned, etc.

Yet they keep coming back for more

They go to foreign lands to help the helpless

They risk their lives day after day

They get labeled killers, monsters, and evil

Why do they do it?

why do they do it?

They get punched, kicked, cursed, etc.

Yet they keep coming back for more

They run into burning buildings

To save those in danger

They put out fires, and not just of burning buildings,

But of emotions out of control

They help the wounded

They console the dying

Why do they do it?

They do it because they are: OUR HEROES

*Slow clap*

Thank you, May. That does not get said often enough - it could NEVER be said often enough.

Cair, I think it's more than that - you do it because that is you.

Thank you to all of you who serve, whether in the Armed Forces or as a first responder. I appreciate the sacrifices you make. Not only that, the sacrifices your families make, too!

Asha'man Cair Mandarb: Feel free to share with whoever you wish. I wrote this poem just for that purpose. To show all of those who serve that atleast one person out there cares about what they do.... I am NOT saying I am the only one, far be it for me to even think that...however it is the only way I know of showing that I care.

I also have two poems that I wrote especially for the police cause I uhm..have had more contact with the police than military or fire. I also used to go to a police site and just chat with them so got to know what they deal with alot besides my personal experiences.

If you go to policepoems.com You will find hundreds of poems for police and military. My other two poems are there as well: Thank You, Officer and Cycle of an Officer. Feel free to check them out and all the other wonderful poems on that site. It is amazing. Also there are a couple of Thank You, Officer poems so mine would be the one whose middle name is MAE. :wink::cool:

From my time in the military, I know that like myself, many others choose to serve so that others won't have to. Better that we shoulder the responsibility than have it forced on others.

That, and who doesn't like getting kicked out of bed at 3am for a 16 hour forced march in full kit while it's pissing rain? It's what dreams are made of :biggrin:

So for all my fellow soldiers, past and present, you'll always have my appreciation. Because after enduring the 12 weeks of Hell that is boot camp... There ain't a whole lot that'll make you flinch.

And for those thinking of joining the military. Be damn sure you've got the dedication, because Boot Camp/Basic Training isn't for everyone. Its scientifically and psychologically designed to break down civilians and rebuild them as soldiers. Its physically and mentally exhausting, and it WILL break you. But it will also re-make you better than you ever were. Of all civilians who decide to enlist, only about 40% ever make it past basic training. Because your Training Instructors and Drill Instructors eat babies and kick puppies when they aren't making your life hell for 12 weeks straight. And they are paid to do it.

On the sunnier side though, once you make it out of boot camp, your T.I's and D.I's are like the nicest guys ever :wink:

Serving your country is one of the best things you can do with your life. Just make sure you have what it takes to persevere, because it takes a certain kind of man or woman be a soldier. Its not the kind of life for everyone. Those who serve, are more deserving of your respect than you'll ever truly know.

You all have my undying gratitude.

Ed you are most welcome.

My Brother-in-Law was just in Iraq from part of last year to part of this year for 6 months. I don't remember the exact dates. He served at Bagdad Airport. I believe in SF. He is the head of security at OTIS AFB. Though I think its now an ANG base. I can't remember if that happened or not but I do remember reading something about it last year or a couple of years ago. I will have to ask him next time I see him. Anybody here know about that change or not change??

Thanks for posting this Mae.

In my short spell in the army Ive come to respect all those who fight to protect the innocent. I also swore to protect them, and I still do. I have the utmost respect for those who fight overseas, and for those who have died fighting for peace and justice. I just copped this thread and it actually holds value for me, because just today was the anniversary of my grandfather's death, and he served in the Irish Army overseas. R.I.P Gramps.

I am sorry about your grampa. This must be a sad day for you. I know losing a grandparent is hard. I just lost my grammy this past January 14th. It was for the best because she was in a nursing home for two years, just about totally paralyzed and they did not take that good care of her.

Thank you for your service in the army. You are one of OUR HEROES.

Rykin: I am sorry you are not happy right now but know that I and many others appreciate what you are doing for Our Country and Us. You are a brave man. I would not want to be out on the sea for months on end either. I pray that you ALL return home safely. How many more months do you have on your deployment?

I would like to thank my uncle who was a medic in Desert Storm, my other uncle who served multiple times in Iraq and Afganistan, to my three friends joining the Marines, and to all others who work to keep us safe

• 2 weeks later...

Seems a lot of the warder folks are military members. I think that they attract the same type of people for the same reasons. I don't think you can point at just one reason but it's a plethora of them. Thank you for taking time to appreciate those who serve.

Archived