DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Tricks, tips, or methods, to remember characters and sub-plots within the series

Jaerid

Hi, I just started reading this wonderful series 6 months ago. So far, I'm on book 7. At times, I'm having difficulty remembering the characters and multiple sub-plots. I heard there are 1,880 characters or something other. Obviously nobody is able to remember that much, and most of these characters don't need to be remembered anyways. I'm more concerned about the characters that will return in some way or have some sort pivotal role in the story. A character that is mentioned once just as someone's brother is really of no concern to me. Those names can be forgotten. But when characters comes back after a gap of several books and ends up mattering, that's where it gets a little tough. How was I supposed to know he/she was a significant character?

I believe that I have a good memory (as I haven't had any problems on any other book series that I've read), but it is by no means a trivia or photographic memory. People tell me that they just use the internet guides to look up the characters, but I just don't feel "right" doing that. It's not that I'm concerned about spoilers, but rather that having to consult an encylopediaesque resource just to keep up with the series seems a little ludicrous to me, that's all.

Does anyone else have this problem?

What about the glossary in the back of the book? Does anyone use that exclusively?

Do you have any tricks or methods to remembering the characters, places, and sub-plots without the use of a resource?

Thanks,

Jaerid

Well, when I first started out and had this problem, I made notes :P

But you're never going to remember it all. That's why some of us read these books over and over and over.

So, if you do take notes, how extensive are they? How many notes do you have?

on my first read i just listed the names of the characters that I thought would have major roles. then listed simple description and cross em out and made new descriptions as the story unfolds like:

Rand - nerdy, coward, whoa is he the dragon?, yup he is. clueless, arrogant and clueless, is he going insane?, yup he is. is he turning evil? yup he is. wish he'd balefire more people, i have a list. damn that's awesome. finally some sanity. that's power.

Perrin - brooding silent type, I like him. Got a cool chick, nice story arc. wtf whipped. yup still whipped. him again argh when is this arc going to be over!! awesome shit, I like him now

Mat - what a douche, he'd be the friend turn to bad guy for sure. what a lucky bastard. he's kinda cool. wtf let them die, they're useless ahahah, I'm liking him now. Damn he became a military genius? God, so funny this guy.

So, if you do take notes, how extensive are they? How many notes do you have?

on my first read i just listed the names of the characters that I thought would have major roles. then listed simple description and cross em out and made new descriptions as the story unfolds like:

Rand - nerdy, coward, whoa is he the dragon?, yup he is. clueless, arrogant and clueless, is he going insane?, yup he is. is he turning evil? yup he is. wish he'd balefire more people, i have a list. damn that's awesome. finally some sanity. that's power.

Perrin - brooding silent type, I like him. Got a cool chick, nice story arc. wtf whipped. yup still whipped. him again argh when is this arc going to be over!! awesome shit, I like him now

Mat - what a douche, he'd be the friend turn to bad guy for sure. what a lucky bastard. he's kinda cool. wtf let them die, they're useless ahahah, I'm liking him now. Damn he became a military genius? God, so funny this guy.

I want to LIKE this rofl!

How many notes did you end up having by the end of the series? Did you have to write down the names of all the Aes Sedai?

Yes I did, but I am hesitant to give out names because I don't want to spoil things for you. Make up list for whom you think would play roles, Aes Sedai would crop up now and again but I'll give you three names that appear early - Moiraine, Siuan Sanche and Verin.

Hi, I just started reading this wonderful series 6 months ago. So far, I'm on book 7. At times, I'm having difficulty remembering the characters and multiple sub-plots. I heard there are 1,880 characters or something other. Obviously nobody is able to remember that much, and most of these characters don't need to be remembered anyways. I'm more concerned about the characters that will return in some way or have some sort pivotal role in the story. A character that is mentioned once just as someone's brother is really of no concern to me. Those names can be forgotten. But when characters comes back after a gap of several books and ends up mattering, that's where it gets a little tough. How was I supposed to know he/she was a significant character?

I believe that I have a good memory (as I haven't had any problems on any other book series that I've read), but it is by no means a trivia or photographic memory. People tell me that they just use the internet guides to look up the characters, but I just don't feel "right" doing that. It's not that I'm concerned about spoilers, but rather that having to consult an encylopediaesque resource just to keep up with the series seems a little ludicrous to me, that's all.

Does anyone else have this problem?

Do you have any tricks or methods to remembering the characters, places, and sub-plots without the use of a resource?

Thanks,

Jaerid

Just enjoy the ride IMO. If they refer to something later, there's the WOT Wiki, or if you're scared of spoilers, the WOT Encyclopedia has chapter-by-chapter summaries (I think the wiki does too) that will remind you of past events. Basically, people have done the note taking for you. You absolutely will miss things. You may think someone is actually two different people because of how they're described from different perspectives... but that's all part of the fun of WOT.

Again, for the first time through... I'd recommend just going along for the ride.

It might not be a bad idea to jot down a few things about the various Aes Sedai as they are introduced. That was a big hang up for me since there are some with similar looking names and there's just so many of them. As of the end of LoC there are a number of them named, but there's a lot more to come. Not that they're all super important, but having a better idea of who they're talking about from the start makes things a lot less convoluted.

It might not be a bad idea to jot down a few things about the various Aes Sedai as they are introduced. That was a big hang up for me since there are some with similar looking names and there's just so many of them. As of the end of LoC there are a number of them named, but there's a lot more to come. Not that they're all super important, but having a better idea of who they're talking about from the start makes things a lot less convoluted.

I've never had any repercussions from confusing Saerin with Seaine. Confusing Sheriam with Shemerin might cause more difficulty, but luckily if Sheriam is mentioned at ANY point, her physical appearance and idiosyncrasies are hammered into our brains once again.

I'm half convinced that the proliferation of characters is the reason that Jordan always dithered so much on idiosyncrasies, mannerisms, and landmarks of physical appearance.

I also vote for enjoy the ride, and don't worry about notes. I think even someone with a photographic memory wouldn't have the room to store all of the photographs necessary. I listen to the books, and they pronounce the names differently from book to book. Add that in with the already confusing amount of similar names, and just an overwhelming number of names in general (I think even if their names were John, Bill, Sue etc, it would still be hard to keep track of 1880 of them).... well, it's hopeless.

I hear there is a glossary in the back of the books to help you keep the characters straight, but I am without the benefit of those. I still manage. You don't need to memorize all of their names and what they've done. RJ will remind you of most of the things you need to know more times than is necessary.

I'm trying to be more familiar with the concepts, prophecies, dreams, organizations, etc. rather than trying to memorize all of the members of said group. I think that might be easier for me, since, like you have said, it's not possible to memorize all of those names.

After I first read the series I had this problem also. I then thought I would take notes on re-reads then this expanded to the idea that I could make an encyclopaedia and put it online and that would be so handy. I then looked online and saw it had already been done so just used that instead:)

I love this thread. I have had the same issue with keeping up with names, but mostly the factions/ septs/ clans, and the role that they play.

I travel a lot for my job and have most of the books on CD or ipod. When i really get confused is when the names start to sound different from book to book.

Haveing done only one full readthrough, i might consider jotting down some notes to help spark my memory for the read0through before AMoL comes out :)

I am currently on my second time through this series. Furthest I read to was Gathering Storm. Am at Shadow Rising in my second time through.

I remember at least the general plot and the main characters; maybe a little bit more.

Did not (and do not) read to remember; not sure of my reason for reading.

Have been one that does not mind spoilers.

as an audiobook listener, i am denied the glossary. i've read the books and scanned the glossaries before, but now i just listen.

if something i'm reading for leisure/enjoyment requires a glossary, or notes, or other reference works to understand, it annoys me, and i just ignore those parts of the story that are overly convoluted. i'm not into logic puzzles, and i suspect the fans who have always been into puzzling out the whole mess have unwittingly written at least half of the books. so thanks for that. :smile:

as for mnemonic devices, i suppose you'd just memorize it like you did the begats and long tracts of holy text and prayer and such when you were a kid. endless repetition combined with shuckling. but i promise you'll lose important phone numbers from your memory retrieval system that way if you do it as an adult.

Does anyone exclusively use the glossary in the back of the book?

Using the glossary can actually be a little dangerous, if it's your first read, as there are in some cases what I would consider to be spoilers.

I always ignored the glossary whilst reading and then when I had finished the book read the glossary. On re-reads I occasionally glance at the glossary. There is an online version of the glossary which is a composite of all books.

I have Asperger's Syndrome, which despite many problems also gives me a very good memory, so I haven't really had this problem. However, it might help to keep track of the sub-plots by character.

Rand-leaves the Two Rivers, fights at the Eye of the World and learns he can channel, retrieves the Horn of Valere...

Mat-acquires the Shadar Logoth Dagger, is healed by Aes Sedai in Tar Valon and finds he's suddenly quite lucky...

And so on.

I tried taking notes on one of my rereads, but they was over six pages of them by the time I got to Crown of Swords (and that was just to keep Aes Sedai straight!) so I stopped

What worked for me was to not worry about it the first time through and just enjoy the story. Then go back and reread the series several times. Every reread will reveal a new layer or trick or foreshadow that you had previously missed.

• 2 weeks later...

No need to, imho. What really draws me to WoT is the realism. Characters are always hungry, cold, scared, etc. The world is scary, dangerous and confusing. The fractured nature of the plotlines helps to create this feeling in the reader. Also, even though on the first reading I hated it, when a main character disappears for several books and then reappears, it's like meeting an old friend. It also encourages re-reading, when you realize a throwaway scene had large implications in the plot. To me, the overwhelming detail is required to bring the sense of realism the books have.

I'm re-reading, AGAIN, and I'm taking copious notes. I have a spreadsheet with all the character names and hopefully a description of them as I'm going along, halfway through TSR (and have just under 500 names). I'm also coloring the cell with the color of an Aes Sedai Ajah, so I can remember what they are at later stages of the book. Not sure why I'm doing it, but I am.

James

I'm re-reading, AGAIN, and I'm taking copious notes. I have a spreadsheet with all the character names and hopefully a description of them as I'm going along, halfway through TSR (and have just under 500 names). I'm also coloring the cell with the color of an Aes Sedai Ajah, so I can remember what they are at later stages of the book. Not sure why I'm doing it, but I am.

James

This is seriously off-putting... If a book needs a spreadsheet to help the reader.. count me out, man.

Archived