DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

It seems interesting, but I just don't like paying $75-90 to play an MMO for two months, which is about how long I usually play them for.

It looks interesting, but I'm certainly going to pass. I am keeping my fingers crossed STO fgoes F2P, though.

Edit: derp, bad math

Well with F2P games there's always a twist. Like to get extra content you have to pay for it or you can't get past level 20, or people can buy their advantage through some sort of Item Mall.

And the support is always pretty crappy I guess.

I'm not going to buy this, but doesn't stop me from being totally psyched to watch all these epic cinematic cut-scenes on youtube like a hardcore geek XD

I plan on playing it, certainly. At some point.

I'm just unsure if I should be in the absolute first wave to play or if I should wait a bit to see reviews. If I do the first, and its a hit, I get to become a diabolic overlord when compared to all those that begin on day 2. But it could all sizzle out and I quit, so insuring its good might be better.

I guess I could do what I did for my first MMO so that I'm around so long I get grandfathered into the day one crowd.

Well with F2P games there's always a twist. Like to get extra content you have to pay for it or you can't get past level 20, or people can buy their advantage through some sort of Item Mall.

I've been playing Champions Online since it went F2P, and most of the purchase stuff imostly cosmetic. There are some definate perks, but the upshot it I can start subscribing anytime and get full benefits, or drop $20-30 in a one time payment and get most of the stuff I'd want anyway.

But as a game costing me $0 I'm enjoying it every bit as much I did dropping $60 to play WoW with BC for two months (and I've been playing CO for almost four now, much better value!). I guess the other thing too is that I always play MMOs like anoy other RPG: I mostly solo, I don't read forums, I don't care about speccing or min/maxing, I just do what I want and roll with it. APB's going F2P, and if STO does too I'll probably be set for a while.

Anyway, as I said, this does look pretty interesting; and if it really develops well, I'll likely grab it when the box price comes down (I don't mind the subscription, honestly, it's the subscription after buying a $40-60 box that hurts; especially given as how like I said I never play more than two months anyway).

The one I'm really looking forward to is the Planetside sequel. MMO war sounds like what I've been waiting for since Meridian 59 and Battlefield 1942.

With LOTRO (another free to play game), there are some significant limits and you run out of quest content at somewhere around 20 or 22, except for the Epic questline which you can follow all over. However, the points you use to purchase questpacks, in addition to being bought, can also be earned by accomplishing in-game deeds. Or, you do their VIP at 10/month, get 500 free points each month, plus what you earn, and you pretty much have access to the whole game in fairly short order. I've done maybe six months of paying for it and I have most things unlocked and I didn't have to buy the game upfront. ymmv. If they do a set up like that, I might be talked into it. As it is, I imagine I'll give it a try at some point, but probably not right away.

Re: SWTOR, I'm as skeptical about it as I have been about pretty much any MMO. I think there is no way it can live up to the considerable hype. And, as with most MMOs, after the initial burst of activity people will start migrating back to what they know once they find the flaws in the game. It's only the Star Wars name that makes me think it will survive more than a year to 18 months.

Looks cool, though.

I think if anyone can live up to the hype it's BioWare.

I wouldn't say that, look what happened with Dragon Age 2...

I don't remember much hype regarding Dragon Age 2. I haven't played Dragon Age 2 yet, but even if it's not very good, I don't see how one subpar game negates the fact that BioWare makes the best RPGs on the market and has already handled the Old Republic setting brilliantly with KotOR. MMO will be new for them, true, but I think MMORPGs need to get back to their RPG roots anyways.

With LOTRO (another free to play game), there are some significant limits and you run out of quest content at somewhere around 20 or 22, except for the Epic questline which you can follow all over. However, the points you use to purchase questpacks, in addition to being bought, can also be earned by accomplishing in-game deeds. Or, you do their VIP at 10/month, get 500 free points each month, plus what you earn, and you pretty much have access to the whole game in fairly short order. I've done maybe six months of paying for it and I have most things unlocked and I didn't have to buy the game upfront. ymmv. If they do a set up like that, I might be talked into it. As it is, I imagine I'll give it a try at some point, but probably not right away.

Yeah it's pretty ridiculous. I was a subscriber before it went F2P and I stopped and when I came back I got automatically upgraded to a Premium player. Almost no difference between Premium player and Free player though, I really felt just blocked off from doing anything that anyone VIP was doing. Extremely limited content, stuff you could complete within a day..

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Community Administrator

I've been waiting for this game since KOTOR1 hit shelves

I knew it would happen some day

eight years later that day is almost here and I don't have a computer capable of playing it

I wanted to be a bounty hunter...

http://www.cyberpowerpc.com/

I saw an add in PCGamer today from them.

For $575 USD, give or take $60 or so.

They basiclaly included a very moderately okay setup, (rivals my pc)

included Windows 7, Liquid Cooling, Ati or Nvidia Video cards. (GTX 500 series, and ati 5000 series)

4GBS of memory, 500GB HDD, Some used AMD CPUs, as well as intels i3 and i5.

(No monitor I believe, but most people already 'have' one and can upgrade one later if needed. its like a console don't include a monitor, as you already 'have' a tv.)

Course, $600 isn't just pocket change these days but its possible to save up for a new pc that costs under $1,000 to play SWOTR. ;)

• 1 month later...

Played the beta over the weekend... or tried to. I will give you my opinions.

Lag was terrible. Of course I have come to expect such from EA online games. I logged in Friday and played for about an hour before the lag drove me crazy. I really wanted to experience the game. I played a little more on Sunday and lag was improved but still bad. However it was good enough for me to actually enjoy the combat a little.

The Good:

Voice talent. This will set it apart from WoW. Of course the lag means the voices didn't match the mouths but I ignored that.

The cut scenes. Beautiful and very well done. Almost like watching a movie.

The story. From the little I saw this should be outstanding.

The Eh:

Looks like WoW. You would think they would make the gameplay less cartoony but alas it isn't.

It is hard for me to comment about fighting. So far I wasn't that into it because I was finding it hard to focus on mobs. I am sure this would change given more time playing.

The Ugly:

EA lag. I have little faith in EA servers and I was once again proven right. I will not even think about buying this game until 2012 and I have heard good things about the servers being up.

The game feels like and older version of WoW. This was disappointing to me because if anything this should take the current WoW features and just upgrade them. Example. I pick up a quest. I have no idea where to go to complete it or where to turn it in when I do complete it. Training. There did not seem to be a tree system where I could see.

Conclusion:

I was not impressed with what little I saw compared to WoW.

• Community Administrator

I to actually got in this and had no lag, did you try playing on a non-full server?

But I agree the gameplay graphics kinda set me off of it.

I mean, we have these fricken awesome CG sequences... Than we get StarWars the Animated cartoon gameplay?

I dunno if i'll hit this when it launches or not, pretty much depends on if my guild goes over or not.

Did I have an option for a server that wasn't full? Cause everything was full on Friday. Sunday I logged onto a heavy server and it was better but still bad. Shouldn't matter in my eyes. If the server is full you shouldn't be able to get in to ensure gameplay is good for everyone.

I have heard that graphics may be a bit better come release.

Archived