DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

Worst Cover Yet?

HighWiredSith

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's the thing... Not making any excuses for Sweet (he's terrible, and his heyday was like 30 years ago) but... RJ et. al. were so concerned about getting too much of the story out, that from what I've heard, Sweet was only given a very few pages to go on for books like TGS and others. He wasn't allowed to read the whole book and then come up with his own rendition of what he thought would be the best scene. Still, he's not very good at perspective, or proportions, and he obviously doesn't read the books after they come out, because more recent covers still have gaping errors.

On the other hand, the new Tor covers are done by exceptional artists, directed by serious fans, and often, drawn/painted by fans of the series. They go through a very rigorous editing process too, from what the Tor.com write-ups seem to indicate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my opinion is that Mr. Sweet has some real dirt on either RJ's family or Tom Doherty himself; because he should've been dropped from doing these covers BOOKS ago. What must he know? Or, how good is he in bed? Must be good at something... :) too far?

Here's the thing... Not making any excuses for Sweet (he's terrible, and his heyday was like 30 years ago) but... RJ et. al. were so concerned about getting too much of the story out, that from what I've heard, Sweet was only given a very few pages to go on for books like TGS and others. He wasn't allowed to read the whole book and then come up with his own rendition of what he thought would be the best scene. Still, he's not very good at perspective, or proportions, and he obviously doesn't read the books after they come out, because more recent covers still have gaping errors.

On the other hand, the new Tor covers are done by exceptional artists, directed by serious fans, and often, drawn/painted by fans of the series. They go through a very rigorous editing process too, from what the Tor.com write-ups seem to indicate.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: my opinion is that Mr. Sweet has some real dirt on either RJ's family or Tom Doherty himself; because he should've been dropped from doing these covers BOOKS ago. What must he know? Or, how good is he in bed? Must be good at something... :) too far?

Not far enough :biggrin:

Me actually almost never agree with ''Everybody'' but in this case I have to - Ive also always felt like LOC was the worstest one.

Second Worse IMO - TGS.

Third WORSE (Also IMO) - TDR

Fourth - WH

5TH - TOM

6TH - KD

........... My favorite DKS Cover was PROBABLY tPOD.

My Second Favorite - tFOH

3RD - TSR

4TH - COT

5TH - TEOTW

6TH - ACOS

7TH - TGH

- Fish

All the US covers look fine to me. Their appearance have been comfortable to at least my eyes.

I try to base my judgment on how accurately they portray the depicted scene.

They have for the most part seemed accurate.

Yeah, TPOD was the least offensive.

Towers of Midnight wasn't too bad.

You must not have seen this eh?

WoTRPG.jpgtowers-of-midnight.jpg

On the heights, the paths are paved with wood mulch...

They kept him for consistency. People like all their books to look more or less the same on the shelf. (Which doesn't explain why they changed the flap format, but oh well.)

They kept him for consistency. People like all their books to look more or less the same on the shelf. (Which doesn't explain why they changed the flap format, but oh well.)

Most folks I know actually DON'T ''like consistency'' when what they're getting is consistently bad, lol ;-)

- Fish

Jordan had two choices of people to do the cover art for EotW: Darryl K. Sweet and Michael Whelan. Whelan only illustrates covers for books he's read (or at least has read a draft of), Sweet doesn't. When EotW was to be published and they were looking for authors, Jordan chose Sweet because they didn't have time for Whelan to read before it was published.

It's something to cry over.

So, instead of having the amazing Michael Whelan, we got Sweet.

I shall cry for what might have been...

At least we have the e-book covers and I just bought a Nook?

ETA: And that Mat cover is absurdly awesome. The two ravens are an absolutely brilliant touch.

Somehow after all these years when ever I see the crown of swords cover I think of

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTSVUJSyaC_6Pq2j6kU7qrSyxjo_F0otVl4u7dtRbX9onaH5RPyQg

No idea how I remember such an old game.

... now you killed me :laugh:

I hate, hate, hate CoS cover- chimpanzee Rand... And now I see that, compare to tGS, reading LoC in the university corridor was not uncomfortable at all. Luckily, the Polish cover will probably be different. I agree that simple black covers with the snake-wheel symbol is the best available option.

Oh goodness, I can't even bring LoC out in public because I'm afraid I'll get too many weird looks. TSR comes in close second for worst for me, since I've still never been able to figure out who those people are.

I've got to say, though, I liked the cover for PoD. And tEotW had a fairly decent cover if you ignore the fact that Lan looks absolutely enormous and Moiraine appears to be a midget on a pony. :dry:

All the WoT book covers are horrible, though some are worse than others. Towers of Midnight and Great Hunt, for example, I don't mind carrying around. Like the Ebook covers a lot and would love to see them converted to actual book covers

Jordan had two choices of people to do the cover art for EotW: Darryl K. Sweet and Michael Whelan. Whelan only illustrates covers for books he's read (or at least has read a draft of), Sweet doesn't. When EotW was to be published and they were looking for authors, Jordan chose Sweet because they didn't have time for Whelan to read before it was published.

It's something to cry over.

I don't understand how the F*** this is possible. If you are a professional book cover artist, how F***ing long is it going to take you to read one single book? Any of these books could be read in a couple days by most people. F**** Whelan right in his trolloc *****

So who is that in the Role Playing Game cover? I guess it's Rand (with the Seanchan spear), Loial, and ??? I would say Moiraine, since she is opening the ways. But she is not in blue, so I will guess Nynaeve.

So who is that in the Role Playing Game cover? I guess it's Rand (with the Seanchan spear), Loial, and ??? I would say Moiraine, since she is opening the ways. But she is not in blue, so I will guess Nynaeve.

i say mat loial and nyneave, since that is the same spear he gave mat on the early cover of ToM

Archived