DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a foreshadowing in TDR Ch 27

herid

Elaida merely stood for a time, stern-faced and staring at them, hands on her hips, and Sheriam did the same in almost the identical pose. Anaiya stood the same way, but her look was more concerned. Until she saw them glancing at her. Then her face became a match for Elaida’s and Sheriam’s before her.

A CIRCLE of sniffing, hand-hipping Aes Sedai.

Nynaeve stood in front of the fireplace with Egwene’s pouch in one hand, tugging her braid.

This is approaching parody...

“Who’s out there?” he demanded loudly. “You’ve rustled enough leaves to wake the dead, so you might as well show yourself.”

Egwene’s lips compressed, but she stepped out. I did not! “It’s me, Rand. Do not be afraid. It is a dream. I must be in your dreams.”

...and now we're there.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Given the subject matter, I think it's safe to assume that this chapter contains at least one sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, or crossing of arms beneath breasts, which could cleverly foreshadow an important sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, and/or crossing of arms beneath breasts at the end of AMOL. Can anyone verify this?!

I think its pretty clear that Egwene is going to seal the Bore by doing all five actions simultaneously, but I just can't puzzle out the how. The sniff and icy stare seem easy enough. With practice, I think you can even cross arms beneath breasts and put hands on hips at the same time (while, of course, maintaining the sniff and icy stare). But now add in the smoothing of skirts! It just seems doesn't add up!

I'm pretty sure Elayne will look icily at The Dark One with her chin up while calling him a wool-headed idiot, making the Dark One so embarrassed he'll just seal himself away.

The whole Dragon Reborn thing's a red herring.

Then they'll debate about how if the Dark One had been a woman, she would have totally won TG. :biggrin:

Maybe AMoL is just going to end on a particularly nice day...

She stood among rolling hills quilted with wildflowers and dotted with small thickets of leafy trees in the hollows and on the crests. Butterflies floated above the blossoms, wings flashing yellow and blue and green, and two larks sang to each other nearby. Just enough fluffy white clouds drifted in a soft blue sky, and the breeze held that delicate balance between cool and warm that came only a few special days in spring. It was a day too perfect to be anything but a dream.

It shouldn't be that hard to puzzle out. Brandon said he tries to read around 200 pages a day so if you find out when he started TDR and when he tweeted his comment, you should be able to find the block of pages which contain the foreshadowing.

Of course, he gives the chapter number and that chapter is less than 200 pages long, so this mathematical exercise, in addition to being wholely unnecessary, would actually broaden the range of possible pages. :rolleyes:

Oh cool, i did not know that. What chapter did he say the foreshadowing from TDR was in?

Dead Gawyn could happen. Remember, the foretelling of Logain achieving glory wasn't of him stepping over Rand's body, necessarily. It was of him stepping over a body, that looked like Rand. Rand and Gawyn's superficial resemblence is noted in the text.

Logain kills Gawyn, chops off Egwene's head, teaches Egwene a hard lesson about their relative power, and assumes the Amyrlin seat.

Go get some kleenex.

Rand, you know that that makes my junk hurt.

The foreshadowing could be almost anything.

It could be that the end would take place at one or more of the chapter's places.

And/Or possibly involve one or more of the chapter's people.

Not sure whether the end would repeat or reflect any of the chapter's events; or fulfill any of the chapter's comments.

The exact event I suspect would be revealed when the book is published; not any sooner.

Mat's Spare Hat

Posted Yesterday, 08:05 AM

Hey, Sanderson...Less twitty twitty, more ready writey

*pokes with stick :myrddraal:

LOL, I totally agree, even with the addition from Terez about how much BS tweets.

Beidomon, on 04 March 2011 - 08:35 AM, said:

Given the subject matter, I think it's safe to assume that this chapter contains at least one sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, or crossing of arms beneath breasts, which could cleverly foreshadow an important sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, and/or crossing of arms beneath breasts at the end of AMOL. Can anyone verify this?!

I think its pretty clear that Egwene is going to seal the Bore by doing all five actions simultaneously, but I just can't puzzle out the how. The sniff and icy stare seem easy enough. With practice, I think you can even cross arms beneath breasts and put hands on hips at the same time (while, of course, maintaining the sniff and icy stare). But now add in the smoothing of skirts! It just seems doesn't add up!

Smoothing the skirts over the hips with arms crossed beneath the breasts while sniffing and staring icily at someone would be how it is done imo.

A.

• 2 weeks later...

Ah well egwene bashing aside, i'm surprised that this already dead cold thread didn't note (and here i shall) that egwene probed a BARRIER made of both SAIDIN and SAIDAR. She describes how the male part is harder or resists more, but they are ONE piece.

I wonder what part callandor had in maintaining the barrier (if any) and how the the barrier recognised Rand.

For the first point I could only guess that standing flows were made through callandor using it's strength and needing it to maintain the weave, but does the power even operate this way? Does a weave made with great power and using a sa'angreal need to keep the Sa' angreal to keep the weave even after being tied off? It seems that it would require a constant, replenish-able(?) amount of power to not dissipate over 3000 odd years. Although ter'angrel use the power, seemingly permanently but this was no ter'angrel...

For the second part, the weave might use some aspect of TAR (ijust can't remember how to spell it ever)to recognise Rand as the patterns current manifestation of the dragon's soul. Why Tar? It is the real that so far allows some kind of connection to/awareness of a soul's thread, i refer to the heroes who remember their past lives, and the wolves who live forever in the dream (with other wild animals who live more by instinct).

Hopper mentions that learning the ways of the dream are harder pirrin because he struggles against what comes naturally for the wolves (i paraphrase terribly from ToM, but it comes up earlier)I would suppose they are less troubled by the identity of their current life. They are less self conscious.

I digress.

I also see great foreshadowing in the fact that it is egwene who is not just one of the strongest CHANNALLING dreamers but has a talent(lower case) for innovating with the power, from working out travelling to her wardings in ToM. i say this is different to the inventions of elyne(focused around a Talent or nyv again focused around a talent but also an effect of great strength.

Much like Rand actually. He has great strength which seems to make for an instinctual use of the power easier (like any talent, do i really need quotes for this?)and has put the power to some amazing uses. The cleansing did not come from LTT(memories or other) after all.

Also, are all standing weaves/tied off weaves apparent in TAR? What's the word on that?

In conclusion, egwene's first encounter with the barrier could foreshadow a situation where she, working with rand must create a barrier using both parts of the power and possibly require the permanent fixture of callendor, and incorporate TAR or at least some aspect of it's qualities(to be honest i just believe TAR will play some mind blowing part).

That probably puts egwene in as one of the callendor three by the way.

what make you of my conjecture?

Ah well egwene bashing aside, i'm surprised that this already dead cold thread didn't note (and here i shall) that egwene probed a BARRIER made of both SAIDIN and SAIDAR. She describes how the male part is harder or resists more, but they are ONE piece.

I wonder what part callandor had in maintaining the barrier (if any) and how the the barrier recognised Rand.

I have no idea how the barrier around Callandor recognized Rand. I've wondered about that myself but I don't have a reasonable explanation. I suspect this was debated on this board in the past so maybe someone else will know.

For the first point I could only guess that standing flows were made through callandor using it's strength and needing it to maintain the weave, but does the power even operate this way? Does a weave made with great power and using a sa'angreal need to keep the Sa' angreal to keep the weave even after being tied off? It seems that it would require a constant, replenish-able(?) amount of power to not dissipate over 3000 odd years. Although ter'angrel use the power, seemingly permanently but this was no ter'angrel...

as for weaves staying in place for a very long time there are several other examples of this. Rhuidean was shielded in some way both in TAR and in the waking world. Also I think various wards on the White Tower are very old and have not dissipated. As I recall that Elaida or Tarna comments on this at some point. I don't think a tied off weave made with sa'angreal needs that sa'angreal after it's made. a sa'angreal is only needed to let a channeler access enough power. it won't do anything without a channeler present and there would not be any need for that. the weaves will just stay in place.

For the second part, the weave might use some aspect of TAR (ijust can't remember how to spell it ever)to recognise Rand as the patterns current manifestation of the dragon's soul. Why Tar? It is the real that so far allows some kind of connection to/awareness of a soul's thread, i refer to the heroes who remember their past lives, and the wolves who live forever in the dream (with other wild animals who live more by instinct).

The question is how they can possibly recognize the Dragon's soul at all, in TAR or not. The weaves were made by people, not the Pattern. as far as I understand they only had some foretellings to go on. There is another example of this of the glass pillars ter'angreal in Rhuidean recognizing Rand as "he who comes with the dawn.

Hopper mentions that learning the ways of the dream are harder pirrin because he struggles against what comes naturally for the wolves (i paraphrase terribly from ToM, but it comes up earlier)I would suppose they are less troubled by the identity of their current life. They are less self conscious.

I digress.

I also see great foreshadowing in the fact that it is egwene who is not just one of the strongest CHANNALLING dreamers but has a talent(lower case) for innovating with the power, from working out travelling to her wardings in ToM. i say this is different to the inventions of elyne(focused around a Talent or nyv again focused around a talent but also an effect of great strength.

Much like Rand actually. He has great strength which seems to make for an instinctual use of the power easier (like any talent, do i really need quotes for this?)and has put the power to some amazing uses. The cleansing did not come from LTT(memories or other) after all.

Also, are all standing weaves/tied off weaves apparent in TAR? What's the word on that?

I think that might depend on the weaves. the wards to guard dreams are but others aren't. When Egwene is shielded by Amico in TDR she can still channel in TAR.

In conclusion, egwene's first encounter with the barrier could foreshadow a situation where she, working with rand must create a barrier using both parts of the power and possibly require the permanent fixture of callendor, and incorporate TAR or at least some aspect of it's qualities(to be honest i just believe TAR will play some mind blowing part).

That probably puts egwene in as one of the callendor three by the way.

This is an interesting idea although even if true I don't think it would necessarily put Egwene as one of the Callandor three. But it's certainly reasonable to expect that both saidin and saidar will be used in the sealing process.

I'm not sure what to make of your conjecture.

I think it's a lot of rambling that goes in way too many directions at once.

I'm not even sure what you're trying to say.

you lost me right around here:

It is the real that so far allows some kind of connection to/awareness of a soul's thread, i refer to the heroes who remember their past lives, and the wolves who live forever in the dream (with other wild animals who live more by instinct).

I think the foreshadowing is pretty obvious right off the bat.

It starts out with Egwene, Nynaeve and Elayne working in the kitchen the rest of the day.

Obviously when this is all done they'll go back to fulfilling their duties as women and go back to working in the Kitchen.

...kidding.

I think that it's a fairly straightforward comment. TDR Ch 27 is about Rand having a dream where he goes to Tear and gets Callandor. Clearly the implication from the tweet is that everything that's happened since then has been a dream. The end of AMOL is Rand waking up, trying to get Callandor in the real world but bouncing off the barrier because he's not the Dragon Reborn but just one more nutter who's gone insane from channelling saidin, so Be'lal gets annoyed and kills him and then isn't distracted when Moiraine comes in so he smokes her too.

Then there's a couple of paragraphs about how Mat's the real Dragon Reborn and he saves the world. The end.

• 2 weeks later...

My best guess:

"All of them pretending to serve the Great Lord, and all the while plotting and planning to regain what they lost. Each one thinking he or she is the only one plotting. Ishamael is a fool!"

"What?" Egwene said sharply. "What did you say about Ishamael?"

"The old woman turned to present a crooked, ingratiating smile. "Just a thing poor folks say, my Lady. It turns the Forsaken's power, calling them fools. Makes you feel good, and safe. Even the Shadow can't take being called a fool."

-The Dragon Reborn, pg. 317

When Rand and Moridin square off, Rand will call Ishamael a fool. He'll say that he finally understands what the Dark One was trying to do to him, and that it worked. Rand was brought to Dragonmount with the power to destroy the world, and fully understanding the point of view of Moridin and his master, intellectually and emotionally.

And there he rejected the idea.

In their final meeting, Rand will call Moridin a fool. Moridin will either be enraged, or he'll just quit, his heart not in it anymore. Moridin might be enraged into an Evil Overlord pratfall on one hand, making a mistake that will give Rand the edge. Or, Moridin the philosopher will decide that if Rand can fully understand his argument and still reject it, he'll respect that and stop trying so hard to end the world.

• 1 year later...

Lanfear makes it fairly clear the reason Egwene couldn't leave TAR was simply because she didn't know how. Lanfear mocks her for this, then kicks her out.

It was simply inexperience due to it being her first time and not knowing how anything works--and yes, if anyone makes the obvious joke about that sentence I'll hurt them. :P

Archived