DRAGONMOUNT

A WHEEL OF TIME COMMUNITY

a foreshadowing in TDR Ch 27

herid

this is from BS twitter feed today

Wow. TDR 27 has a cool little foreshadowing for the end of AMOL that I'd never noticed before. #wotrr

any guesses what that can be?

I have two quick ones

Egwene felt a pang of jealousy she thought she had put down long ago, and sympathy mixed with it. Light, how can I be jealous when I cannot look at Galad without shivering and feeling as if I am melting, both at the same time? Rand was mine, but no more. I wish I could give him to you, Elayne, but he is not for either of us, I think. It may be all well and good for the Daughter-Heir to marry a commoner, as long as he’s an Andorman, but not to marry the Dragon Reborn.

Perhaps that means that Elayne won't marry Rand after all and he'll just go off with Min somewhere. although I do seem to remember Aviendha saying that she saw in her Rhuidean visions that she'll have sister-wives so maybe that's not it.

2. Egwene after meeting Rand in TAR:

She took another long breath to calm herself. “The only way to help him is to gentle him,” she muttered. “As well go ahead and kill him.” Her stomach twisted and knotted. “I’ll never do that. Never!”

perhaps she will kill him after all. there was something like this in her Accepted test too.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh damn, if it's the second one that would be very interesting.

The second one sounds more foreshadowy, but the first one could also be possible.

There's also that theory that Rand will die before the last battle and then be resurrected to fight it. Since Caemlyn is burning and the BT needs to be dealt with, it could be possible that the vision Egwene had in the rings of having to kill Rand in Caemlyn could come true. That would be pretty cool, if we were treated to a key scene in AMoL without even knowing about it.

pg. 312- Abruptly she let it go. The butterflies settled back, unconcerned with their brief adventure. Myrddraal and some other Shadowspawn could sense someone channeling. Looking around, she could not imagine such things in that place, but just because she could not imagine them did not mean they were not there

This one could show that the Forsaken figure out a way to get Shadowspawn into the World of Dreams... or, it could be that the Darkhounds have a Dream World presence just like Wolves do.

pg. 317- I suppose there's others would take it, if they could. What wouldn't one of the Forsaken give, to hold Callandor?

This is Lanfear as Silvie talking to Egwene. It could be foreshadowing that Lanfear will be one of the women to wield Callandor with Rand. Even as Cyndane, she is still one of the strongest women on the planet, and if Rand rescues her from her torment, she might want to come back to the Light. As the woman who helped drill the bore, she knows more about how it was created than anyone else, even LTT. Having her help weave the flows to reseal it would make sense.

Alternatively, it could be that this foreshadows Callandor somehow falling into Taim's hands, and from him to either Moridin or Demandred.

pg. 320- She felt a little guilty keeping secrets from Elayne and Nynaeve, but it was Perrin's secret to tell, if and when he chose, not hers.

This wouldn't be that interesting... I mean, Perrin's going to have to tell people about the wolves sooner or later. Meh.

pg. 322- I keep thinking about the soulless. I don't know why, but they frighten me even more than the Black Ajah.

This is Elayne speaking. She's already dealt with a Black Ajah plot/storyline, now if BS/RJ sent greymen into the camps at Merilor to sew chaos? I'm trying to think how they would deal with it... Gawyn has already defeated uber-assassins, so it would be a bit of a meh to have him fight them. Birgette could pin them to tent poles with her bow, maybe?

Well, these are the things I would look at as potential foreshadowing. :biggrin:

“You are going to listen to me, Rand al’Thor, if I have to sit on you.” She gathered saidar, channeled the flows to make the air hold him in a net.

The sword spun in his hands, roaring like an open furnace.

She grunted and staggered; it felt as if a rope stretched too tight had broken and snapped back into her.

Rand laughed. “I learn, you see. When it works . . . ” He grimaced and started toward her. “I could stand any face but that one. Not her face, burn you!” The sword flashed out.

Egwene fled.

Oh damn, if it's the second one that would be very interesting.

The second one sounds more foreshadowy, but the first one could also be possible.

There's also that theory that Rand will die before the last battle and then be resurrected to fight it. Since Caemlyn is burning and the BT needs to be dealt with, it could be possible that the vision Egwene had in the rings of having to kill Rand in Caemlyn could come true. That would be pretty cool, if we were treated to a key scene in AMoL without even knowing about it.

the main problem with the second one as I see it is that BS mentioned the end of AMOL. If Egwene kills Rand it ought to be somewhere in the middle of the book I would think. I scanned through that chapter again and maybe he meant something much more innocent and boring like the first one or the line right before it:

“Green Ajah,” the golden-haired woman said for what Egwene thought must be the twentieth time since midday. “I might choose Green Ajah myself, Egwene. Then I can have three or four Warders, perhaps marry one of them. Who better for Prince Consort of Andor than a Warder? Unless it is . . . ” She trailed off, blushing.

Elayne is now Green Ajah, and she already has two warders. She mentioned that she wants to make Guybon her third and if she does marry Rand at the end of AMOL that would fulfill pretty much everything.

pg. 312- Abruptly she let it go. The butterflies settled back, unconcerned with their brief adventure. Myrddraal and some other Shadowspawn could sense someone channeling. Looking around, she could not imagine such things in that place, but just because she could not imagine them did not mean they were not there

This one could show that the Forsaken figure out a way to get Shadowspawn into the World of Dreams... or, it could be that the Darkhounds have a Dream World presence just like Wolves do.

could be but seems unlikely to me because BS mentioned the end of AMOL.

pg. 317- I suppose there's others would take it, if they could. What wouldn't one of the Forsaken give, to hold Callandor?

This is Lanfear as Silvie talking to Egwene. It could be foreshadowing that Lanfear will be one of the women to wield Callandor with Rand. Even as Cyndane, she is still one of the strongest women on the planet, and if Rand rescues her from her torment, she might want to come back to the Light. As the woman who helped drill the bore, she knows more about how it was created than anyone else, even LTT. Having her help weave the flows to reseal it would make sense.

now that would be a twist!

Alternatively, it could be that this foreshadows Callandor somehow falling into Taim's hands, and from him to either Moridin or Demandred.

something like this is possible but again I think it would occur in the middle of the book somewhere, around the time of Rand's death. that would fit with Callandor being the "blade of ruin" and all.

also remember that some of us think that Taim=Moridin :biggrin:

pg. 320- She felt a little guilty keeping secrets from Elayne and Nynaeve, but it was Perrin's secret to tell, if and when he chose, not hers.

This wouldn't be that interesting... I mean, Perrin's going to have to tell people about the wolves sooner or later. Meh.

Perrin already told his people about the wolves in ToM so this one is out.

pg. 322- I keep thinking about the soulless. I don't know why, but they frighten me even more than the Black Ajah.

This is Elayne speaking. She's already dealt with a Black Ajah plot/storyline, now if BS/RJ sent greymen into the camps at Merilor to sew chaos? I'm trying to think how they would deal with it... Gawyn has already defeated uber-assassins, so it would be a bit of a meh to have him fight them. Birgette could pin them to tent poles with her bow, maybe?

again, this one would not be at the end of the book so I think it's out too.

“You are going to listen to me, Rand al’Thor, if I have to sit on you.” She gathered saidar, channeled the flows to make the air hold him in a net.

The sword spun in his hands, roaring like an open furnace.

She grunted and staggered; it felt as if a rope stretched too tight had broken and snapped back into her.

Rand laughed. “I learn, you see. When it works . . . ” He grimaced and started toward her. “I could stand any face but that one. Not her face, burn you!” The sword flashed out.

Egwene fled.

not sure which part of the above you think is a foreshadowing. Egwene sitting on Rand to make him listen to her? :biggrin:

Rand will succeed in what he failed to do in this chapter - he will kill Egwene in the end, and the fandom will rejoice. :biggrin:

Sigh...these types of comments are rapidly approaching Bela joke status.

In addition the killing, maiming, slapping down posts of the anti-Egwene crowd really don't help their "Oh we always put together rational arguments, can't imagine why people call us Rand fan boys or sexist" statements to the contrary.

this is from BS twitter feed today

Wow. TDR 27 has a cool little foreshadowing for the end of AMOL that I'd never noticed before. #wotrr

any guesses what that can be?

I have two quick ones

Egwene felt a pang of jealousy she thought she had put down long ago, and sympathy mixed with it. Light, how can I be jealous when I cannot look at Galad without shivering and feeling as if I am melting, both at the same time? Rand was mine, but no more. I wish I could give him to you, Elayne, but he is not for either of us, I think. It may be all well and good for the Daughter-Heir to marry a commoner, as long as he’s an Andorman, but not to marry the Dragon Reborn.

Perhaps that means that Elayne won't marry Rand after all and he'll just go off with Min somewhere. although I do seem to remember Aviendha saying that she saw in her Rhuidean visions that she'll have sister-wives so maybe that's not it.

2. Egwene after meeting Rand in TAR:

She took another long breath to calm herself. “The only way to help him is to gentle him,” she muttered. “As well go ahead and kill him.” Her stomach twisted and knotted. “I’ll never do that. Never!”

perhaps she will kill him after all. there was something like this in her Accepted test too.

If those are forshadowing it has nothing to do with anything that egwene or elayne do. It might have to do with another theory that is floating around about the destruction of the wheel, and the access to the source.

To return to the state as the creater initiated, the power is destroyed (though that doesn't work because of aviendha (thanks for effing up THAT possibility) and cannot be accessed, so rand just becomes one more person, a one handed (though I think he will get his hand back) farmer, and elayne will marry him.

though honestly I think the marriages will occure before TG.

I don't know why, other than the fact that I served in the military and all the guys I knew who deployed overseas wanted to get married and impregnate their wives as fast as possible, it's how my brother and I were born.

"Slapped down" is a fair description of what happened in TDR, Chapter 27.

Would it be more politically correct if I wrote, "Attempting to control Rand with Saidar, and instead learning a hard lesson about their relative power?"

Fine.

Egwene trying to control Rand with Saidar, and being slapped down, and instead learning a hard lesson about their relative power.

I bet it's the part about elayne realizing they don't have to oppose rand with all his strength but help him.

BS was so amazed at the revelation of who "killed asmodian" (which btw doesn't make sense) but BS is a bigger fan boy than I am, because I don't get to read the effing outlines.

Nope, Mandro, TDR 27 is when Egwene first enters the World of Dreams with the stone ring ter'angreal. She has Nynaeve and Elayne sit around and watch her. While she's in the Dream, she meets Perrin and Hopper (who tries to kill her), Rand (who also tries to kill her), uses T'A'R and Need to find "where she needs to be," is taken to the Stone of Tear where she meets Silvie (Lanfear in disguise), gets tossed out of the world of dreams, and chats with E and N again.

Egwene trying to control Rand with Saidar, and being slapped down.

She does that rather a lot to her supposed friends.

I doubt that this would be something that occurs at the end of AMOL. if this ever does happen it would be earlier in the story I would think, before Rand's death.

Rand will succeed in what he failed to do in this chapter - he will kill Egwene in the end, and the fandom will rejoice. :biggrin:

ROFL, you nailed it! :biggrin:

Don't move, hush, hush, it tingles, no really don't move, It's sensitive, It's almost painful.

Just don't say dead gawyn, just don't say dead gawyn, it might fall off..

Dead Gawyn could happen. Remember, the foretelling of Logain achieving glory wasn't of him stepping over Rand's body, necessarily. It was of him stepping over a body, that looked like Rand. Rand and Gawyn's superficial resemblence is noted in the text.

Logain kills Gawyn, chops off Egwene's head, teaches Egwene a hard lesson about their relative power, and assumes the Amyrlin seat.

Go get some kleenex.

Egwene after meeting Rand in TAR:

I think it more likely she would get Gawyn to do it for her. But as you said, it's more likely to be in the middle.

In addition the killing, maiming, slapping down posts of the anti-Egwene crowd really don't help their "Oh we always put together rational arguments, can't imagine why people call us Rand fan boys or sexist" statements to the contrary.

Amen, brother. (Or sister.) (And that's all I have to say on that subject, aside from to point out that Suttree did say fanboys OR sexist, so keep that in mind before you guys start another Egwene war in this thread.)

Amen, brother. (Or sister.) (And that's all I have to say on that subject, aside from to point out that Suttree did say fanboys OR sexist, so keep that in mind before you guys start another Egwene war in this thread.)

I also don't want to start another Egwene war here either, but I will point out that the comments above are not really either fanboyish or sexist. Merely a bit juvenile. You can have perfectly rational reasons to dislike Egwene and then express that dislike in silly ways. :biggrin:

In regards to the actual thread - Damn Brandon, now I'm going to have to go breakout tDR since he gave us such a juicy hint to contemplate.

Given the subject matter, I think it's safe to assume that this chapter contains at least one sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, or crossing of arms beneath breasts, which could cleverly foreshadow an important sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, and/or crossing of arms beneath breasts at the end of AMOL. Can anyone verify this?!

I think its pretty clear that Egwene is going to seal the Bore by doing all five actions simultaneously, but I just can't puzzle out the how. The sniff and icy stare seem easy enough. With practice, I think you can even cross arms beneath breasts and put hands on hips at the same time (while, of course, maintaining the sniff and icy stare). But now add in the smoothing of skirts! It just seems doesn't add up!

It shouldn't be that hard to puzzle out. Brandon said he tries to read around 200 pages a day so if you find out when he started TDR and when he tweeted his comment, you should be able to find the block of pages which contain the foreshadowing.

It shouldn't be that hard to puzzle out. Brandon said he tries to read around 200 pages a day so if you find out when he started TDR and when he tweeted his comment, you should be able to find the block of pages which contain the foreshadowing.

Of course, he gives the chapter number and that chapter is less than 200 pages long, so this mathematical exercise, in addition to being wholely unnecessary, would actually broaden the range of possible pages. :rolleyes:

Given the subject matter, I think it's safe to assume that this chapter contains at least one sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, or crossing of arms beneath breasts, which could cleverly foreshadow an important sniff, icy stare, smoothing of skirts, hands on hips, and/or crossing of arms beneath breasts at the end of AMOL. Can anyone verify this?!

I think its pretty clear that Egwene is going to seal the Bore by doing all five actions simultaneously, but I just can't puzzle out the how. The sniff and icy stare seem easy enough. With practice, I think you can even cross arms beneath breasts and put hands on hips at the same time (while, of course, maintaining the sniff and icy stare). But now add in the smoothing of skirts! It just seems doesn't add up!

That sounds like a pissy person doing the Macarena. :happy:

Archived